Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jul 21, 2012
7:26:43 PM
Wireless Emergency Alerts (WEA) or or CMAS (Commercial Mobile Alert System) support
Spoiler

In mid May I upgraded my phone to a Nokia Lumia 900, what happend to Wireless Emergency Alerts (WEA) or CMAS (Commercial Mobile Alert System) support? This suppose to be a "bleeding edge" phone.

Spoiler

In mid May I upgraded my phone to a Nokia Lumia 900, what happend to Wireless Emergency Alerts (WEA) or CMAS (Commercial Mobile Alert System) support? This suppose to be a "bleeding edge" phone.

Wireless Emergency Alerts (WEA) or or CMAS (Commercial Mobile Alert System) support

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2012 2:04:46 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by McHale72 on Jul 22, 2012 at 2:12:58 AM

It's a bleeding edge phone on your grandmother's network.  All of the carriers in the US are fully compliant with WEA nationwide.  AT&T on the other hand is only sending emergency alerts to New York City, Portland and Washington DC via their PLAN system.  I'm not sure if that's because they feel only those 3 cities matter or they are predicting nobody else will have an emergency that necessitates an alert.

So while other carriers are offering nationwide emergency alerts, AT&T is offering local only.  Quite the emergency system and the failure I would expect from AT&T.

REFERENCE: http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB409414&cv=820&ct=800007&pv=3&title=In+what+markets+wil...

It's a bleeding edge phone on your grandmother's network.  All of the carriers in the US are fully compliant with WEA nationwide.  AT&T on the other hand is only sending emergency alerts to New York City, Portland and Washington DC via their PLAN system.  I'm not sure if that's because they feel only those 3 cities matter or they are predicting nobody else will have an emergency that necessitates an alert.

So while other carriers are offering nationwide emergency alerts, AT&T is offering local only.  Quite the emergency system and the failure I would expect from AT&T.

REFERENCE: http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB409414&cv=820&ct=800007&pv=3&title=In+what+markets+will+Wireless+Emergency+Alerts+or+CMAS+(Commercial+Mobile+Alert+System)+be+available%3F#fbid=SrzUIUkcCAb

Re: Wireless Emergency Alerts (WEA) or or CMAS (Commercial Mobile Alert System) support

[ Edited ]
2 of 7 (13,887 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2012 5:08:05 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by ThomCarr on Jul 22, 2012 at 5:14:40 AM

I forgot to mention that I live and work in Washington DC.

Due to the severe weather the area had had since end of June, DC HSEMA transmitted two “Severe Threat Alert Messages” about Flash Flood Warnings on 7/18 and 7/19, along with their day-to-day Alert DC SMS messages and emails.

How do I know the “Severe Threat Alert Messages” were transmitted you ask.

I received them on an agency issued blackberry that is on the other " grandmother's network", Verizon.

I have been with AT&T since it was still "Ma Bell"; I am going to have to look for an alternative. with worldwide support

I forgot to mention that I live and work in Washington DC.

Due to the severe weather the area had had since end of June, DC HSEMA transmitted two “Severe Threat Alert Messages” about Flash Flood Warnings on 7/18 and 7/19, along with their day-to-day Alert DC SMS messages and emails.

How do I know the “Severe Threat Alert Messages” were transmitted you ask.

I received them on an agency issued blackberry that is on the other " grandmother's network", Verizon.

I have been with AT&T since it was still "Ma Bell"; I am going to have to look for an alternative. with worldwide support

Re: Wireless Emergency Alerts (WEA) or or CMAS (Commercial Mobile Alert System) support

[ Edited ]
3 of 7 (13,876 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2012 2:26:31 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by McHale72 on Jul 22, 2012 at 2:26:53 PM

I have no idea if AT&T actually sent that emergency alert or not.  Who knows?  But I do know that the device has to support it.

Here's a list of all the devices on all the carriers that support CMAS.  

http://www.awareforum.org/2012/04/update-on-carrier-cmas-information/

Oddly, T-Mobile's Lumia supports it but the flagship Lumia on AT&T does not.  My first instinct is to blame AT&T for that since they have a history of demanding manufacturers remove features to force customers to use their pay related services.  I'd contact Nokia and ask them if the 900 supports CMAS/WEA.  They would know, AT&T would not. 

I have no idea if AT&T actually sent that emergency alert or not.  Who knows?  But I do know that the device has to support it.

Here's a list of all the devices on all the carriers that support CMAS.  

http://www.awareforum.org/2012/04/update-on-carrier-cmas-information/

Oddly, T-Mobile's Lumia supports it but the flagship Lumia on AT&T does not.  My first instinct is to blame AT&T for that since they have a history of demanding manufacturers remove features to force customers to use their pay related services.  I'd contact Nokia and ask them if the 900 supports CMAS/WEA.  They would know, AT&T would not. 

[ Edited ]
4 of 7 (13,856 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2012 4:59:47 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by ThomCarr on Jul 22, 2012 at 5:00:43 PM

I am not be surprised by your speculation and you may be correct. I have sent a message to Nokia as you suggested and also posted a question on Microsoft Answers since it may need an OS based App.

The device I received the messages on, a BlackBerry 9930 which has an App for WEAs, is not listed on Verizon’s website, but that may be an issue of not keeping the page update.

If I hear from Nokia or Microsoft Answers I will let you now.

I am not be surprised by your speculation and you may be correct. I have sent a message to Nokia as you suggested and also posted a question on Microsoft Answers since it may need an OS based App.

The device I received the messages on, a BlackBerry 9930 which has an App for WEAs, is not listed on Verizon’s website, but that may be an issue of not keeping the page update.

[ Edited ]
5 of 7 (13,848 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2012 11:02:24 AM
(0)
Scholar

ThomCarr wrote:

Much appreciated.  I was wondering about this as well.  There hasn't been much info on it since it was announced.

-Mc

ThomCarr wrote:

Much appreciated.  I was wondering about this as well.  There hasn't been much info on it since it was announced.

-Mc

6 of 7 (13,827 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 9, 2013 8:59:31 PM
(0)
Teacher
What did you guys end up finding out?
What did you guys end up finding out?

7 of 7 (11,326 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments