Posted Dec 16, 2012
9:41:12 AM
Windows Phone 7.8 Update

http://www.wpcentral.com/microsoft-starts-rolling-out-windows-phone-78-update

Seems to have started rolling out slowly,Anyone heard anything from ATT's end?

111 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(111)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 4, 2013 12:49:30 PM
(0)
Scholar

While the "official" mod may refuse to believe and accept there is, in fact, a problem with Windows 7.8 and Live Tiles, it is INDEED a problem that Microsoft is aware of.  They (Microsoft) has also stopped pushing out the 7.8 update.

http://www.mobilenapps.com/articles/7724/20130304/windows-phone-7-8-live-tiles-issues-now-being-fixe...

Don't trust that one link?, then how about this:

http://www.bing.com/search?q=windows+7.8+live+tiles+&qs=n&form=QBLH&pq=windows+7.8+live+tiles+&sc=0-...=

While the "official" mod may refuse to believe and accept there is, in fact, a problem with Windows 7.8 and Live Tiles, it is INDEED a problem that Microsoft is aware of.  They (Microsoft) has also stopped pushing out the 7.8 update.

http://www.mobilenapps.com/articles/7724/20130304/windows-phone-7-8-live-tiles-issues-now-being-fixed.htm

http://www.bing.com/search?q=windows+7.8+live+tiles+&qs=n&form=QBLH&pq=windows+7.8+live+tiles+&sc=0-13&sp=-1&sk=

Re: Windows Phone 7.8 Update

61 of 112 (16,726 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 5, 2013 5:58:02 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

mvierling wrote:

http://www.mobilenapps.com/articles/7724/20130304/windows-phone-7-8-live-tiles-issues-now-being-fixe...

http://www.bing.com/search?q=windows+7.8+live+tiles+&qs=n&form=QBLH&pq=windows+7.8+live+tiles+&sc=0-...

(a) fi you're referring to me I am not an official mod - quotes or otherwise - I am just a forum member like you.

(b) your links all reference the same post by one MS person in the thread you linked to originally above. This happens often on the internet, with multiple sources all feeding off one post (remember when Mary Jo Foley said there was an Outlook client for RT? And then there were 100 tech blogs that said it was in beta (quoting MJF) and then, well, yeah, nothing?)

While it's quite possible that one post is 100% accurate, the post itself doesn't say anything about rollouts being halted, or that the tile update problem is widespread, or even that the fix is imminent. All those things may be true, but Microsoft hasn't made any official statement, nor is it likely it would in any case other than a major security issue with a hotfix that would be available in days.

The statement made was

"An update: this issue has been recorded and the problem is understood. There are actually two issues:

1. Live tile causing continuous web requests (and side effects such as battery drain)
  2. Live tile failing to update.

The fixes will be considered for inclusion in an update to the phone operating system. In the forum post above, several posters have been able to get around the problem by unpinning and repinning the live tiles. This might be a temporary workaround."

So - known problem(s). Fixes being considered for future release. Workaround available. That's what we know. Being someone who works on commercial software myself, my bet is there are hundreds of known problems with WP7.8 and WP8, and the status of nearly all of them is that.

mvierling wrote:

http://www.mobilenapps.com/articles/7724/20130304/windows-phone-7-8-live-tiles-issues-now-being-fixed.htm

http://www.bing.com/search?q=windows+7.8+live+tiles+&qs=n&form=QBLH&pq=windows+7.8+live+tiles+&sc=0-13&sp=-1&sk=

(a) fi you're referring to me I am not an official mod - quotes or otherwise - I am just a forum member like you.

(b) your links all reference the same post by one MS person in the thread you linked to originally above. This happens often on the internet, with multiple sources all feeding off one post (remember when Mary Jo Foley said there was an Outlook client for RT? And then there were 100 tech blogs that said it was in beta (quoting MJF) and then, well, yeah, nothing?)

While it's quite possible that one post is 100% accurate, the post itself doesn't say anything about rollouts being halted, or that the tile update problem is widespread, or even that the fix is imminent. All those things may be true, but Microsoft hasn't made any official statement, nor is it likely it would in any case other than a major security issue with a hotfix that would be available in days.

The statement made was

"An update: this issue has been recorded and the problem is understood. There are actually two issues:

1. Live tile causing continuous web requests (and side effects such as battery drain)
  2. Live tile failing to update.

The fixes will be considered for inclusion in an update to the phone operating system. In the forum post above, several posters have been able to get around the problem by unpinning and repinning the live tiles. This might be a temporary workaround."

So - known problem(s). Fixes being considered for future release. Workaround available. That's what we know. Being someone who works on commercial software myself, my bet is there are hundreds of known problems with WP7.8 and WP8, and the status of nearly all of them is that.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

62 of 112 (16,672 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 5, 2013 10:45:00 AM
(0)
Mentor
johninsj, just a friendly reminder that there are multiple people posting to this post. I posted the "original" link, but not any followup links, since you are correct that the blogosphere tends to amplify every little thing (correct or not). I try to reply to what you are actually saying, and would appreciate it if you don't conflate what I have said on this thead with what somebody else says. Thanks!
johninsj, just a friendly reminder that there are multiple people posting to this post. I posted the "original" link, but not any followup links, since you are correct that the blogosphere tends to amplify every little thing (correct or not). I try to reply to what you are actually saying, and would appreciate it if you don't conflate what I have said on this thead with what somebody else says. Thanks!

63 of 112 (16,634 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 5, 2013 11:27:14 AM
(0)
Scholar

I don't know what  John's problem is and his refusal to accept anything from others.  But for everyone else, Joe Belfiore (Windows Phone lead at Microsoft) acknowledged the Live Tiles problem in a Twitter post:

http://nokiarevolution.com/2013/03/03/windows-phone-7-8-live-tiles-fix-coming-up-belfiore-says/

Microsoft acknowledges Live Tile issues:

http://www.wpcentral.com/microsoft-acknowledges-windows-phone-78-live-tile-issues

Vodafone (in Germany) has informed their customers that Microsoft stopped rolling out the 7.8 update because of the problem and is working on a fix:

http://www.unwiredview.com/2013/02/26/windows-phone-7-8-rollout-may-have-been-halted-to-fix-live-til...

I don't know what  John's problem is and his refusal to accept anything from others.  But for everyone else, Joe Belfiore (Windows Phone lead at Microsoft) acknowledged the Live Tiles problem in a Twitter post:

http://nokiarevolution.com/2013/03/03/windows-phone-7-8-live-tiles-fix-coming-up-belfiore-says/

Microsoft acknowledges Live Tile issues:

http://www.wpcentral.com/microsoft-acknowledges-windows-phone-78-live-tile-issues

Vodafone (in Germany) has informed their customers that Microsoft stopped rolling out the 7.8 update because of the problem and is working on a fix:

http://www.unwiredview.com/2013/02/26/windows-phone-7-8-rollout-may-have-been-halted-to-fix-live-tile-issues/

64 of 112 (16,622 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 5, 2013 2:19:18 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

So, John's problem is that John is simply truthfully pointing out that MICROSOFT hasn't officially made any statement about halting deployment of wp7.8 for any reason.

Tweets are great. Posts in support forums are great. Third parties blaming Microsoft in Germany are great.

No links to official Microsoft press releases means, no official Microsoft statement that WP7.8 deployments are halted for any reason.

That's John's one and only problem.

Sorry if that bugs you, but usually that is the standard for "official statement".

So, John's problem is that John is simply truthfully pointing out that MICROSOFT hasn't officially made any statement about halting deployment of wp7.8 for any reason.

Tweets are great. Posts in support forums are great. Third parties blaming Microsoft in Germany are great.

No links to official Microsoft press releases means, no official Microsoft statement that WP7.8 deployments are halted for any reason.

That's John's one and only problem.

Sorry if that bugs you, but usually that is the standard for "official statement".

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

65 of 112 (16,609 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 15, 2013 7:21:02 AM
(0)
Scholar

They are back to rolling it out the 7.10.8862 is the last update after 7.8 http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/how-to/wp7/basics/update-history

/Google seven-eighter to get it faster

They are back to rolling it out the 7.10.8862 is the last update after 7.8 http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/how-to/wp7/basics/update-history

/Google seven-eighter to get it faster

I love Chicago

66 of 112 (16,107 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 16, 2013 4:37:03 AM
(0)
Tutor

Forbes had an article out last month that even though MSFT has released the 7.8 update carriers (AT&T, T-Mobile) are not planing to releasing the update since it is not worth their time. They will eventually provide the update though since customers who have purchased their hand sets have an implicit contract that their phones will be kept as up to to date as possible with manufacturer and OS updates so I imagine they will be forced to eventually change their ways of screwing the consumer by pigeon holing consumers into only what the company approves in order to control and maximize profits.

Forbes had an article out last month that even though MSFT has released the 7.8 update carriers (AT&T, T-Mobile) are not planing to releasing the update since it is not worth their time. They will eventually provide the update though since customers who have purchased their hand sets have an implicit contract that their phones will be kept as up to to date as possible with manufacturer and OS updates so I imagine they will be forced to eventually change their ways of screwing the consumer by pigeon holing consumers into only what the company approves in order to control and maximize profits.

67 of 112 (15,851 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 16, 2013 6:45:53 AM
(0)
Scholar

Yeah, I already updated mine.  Of course, this update doesn't really exist and there are no live tile problems because Microsoft didn't "officially" announce it in a press release or on their website.

Yeah, I already updated mine.  Of course, this update doesn't really exist and there are no live tile problems because Microsoft didn't "officially" announce it in a press release or on their website.

68 of 112 (15,823 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 17, 2013 1:25:29 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by podpet24 on Mar 17, 2013 at 1:38:38 AM

Small walkthrough for curious users - 

My phone - AT&T branded Titan, picked up refurb'd from BBY (7th time warranty replacement :-P)

Step 1 - Download and install small firmware update from HTC.

Step 2 - run seveneighter as administrator

Step 3 - Select ALL LANGUAGES! (i found this by looking at this useful tidbit - "Very simple to do, you just have install the same language packs you have, check under settings then keyboard to see what languages you have installed, I actually had more than Seven Eighter had so I selected every language." - accv.dre comment.)

Step 4 - LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLLLLL!! The program will restart the phone several times. I am currently on restart 6 or so. Just let the program run, go read a book or something, and come back.

[EDIT] - And, it's all done. Took a little under an hour, and it is definitely running 7.10.8862.144. WOOT!

Small walkthrough for curious users - 

My phone - AT&T branded Titan, picked up refurb'd from BBY (7th time warranty replacement :-P)

Step 1 - Download and install small firmware update from HTC.

Step 2 - run seveneighter as administrator

Step 3 - Select ALL LANGUAGES! (i found this by looking at this useful tidbit - "Very simple to do, you just have install the same language packs you have, check under settings then keyboard to see what languages you have installed, I actually had more than Seven Eighter had so I selected every language." - accv.dre comment.)

Step 4 - LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLLLLL!! The program will restart the phone several times. I am currently on restart 6 or so. Just let the program run, go read a book or something, and come back.

[EDIT] - And, it's all done. Took a little under an hour, and it is definitely running 7.10.8862.144. WOOT!

[ Edited ]
69 of 112 (15,674 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 18, 2013 2:06:05 PM
(0)
Mentor

Any idea with the Lumia 900 will get the 7.8 (8862) update?  It was going out last week on the global carriers but I have heard nothing from AT&T on this....

Any idea with the Lumia 900 will get the 7.8 (8862) update?  It was going out last week on the global carriers but I have heard nothing from AT&T on this....

70 of 112 (15,192 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 19, 2013 7:38:55 AM
(0)
Mentor

Im not sure.They did stop the initial rollout because of the live tile issues.But theres an update for that now so rollouts have started again.

Im not sure.They did stop the initial rollout because of the live tile issues.But theres an update for that now so rollouts have started again.

71 of 112 (14,977 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 19, 2013 8:01:44 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by mvierling on Mar 19, 2013 at 8:03:02 AM

Didn't you know?  They didn't stop the roll out of the update and there is no Live Tile issue.  Just ask Johninsj.

Didn't you know?  They didn't stop the roll out of the update and there is no Live Tile issue.  Just ask Johninsj.

[ Edited ]
72 of 112 (14,968 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 20, 2013 6:57:06 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

mvierling wrote:

You really need to let this go.

mvierling wrote:

73 of 112 (14,747 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 25, 2013 7:17:32 AM
(0)
Mentor

Ok so AT&T doesn't want us to update our 7.8 Windows phone with the live tile fix.  Hey AT&T I have a year left on my contact, what am I supposed to do with my crippled phone?

Ok so AT&T doesn't want us to update our 7.8 Windows phone with the live tile fix.  Hey AT&T I have a year left on my contact, what am I supposed to do with my crippled phone?

74 of 112 (14,292 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2013 12:22:07 PM
(0)
Scholar

johninsj wrote:

YOU need to be less insistent on things you have NO idea what you're talking about.  Unless you KNOW FOR SURE, the correct answer is "I'm not sure but I *THINK*..." 

Let's just call this a life lesson and move on.

johninsj wrote:

YOU need to be less insistent on things you have NO idea what you're talking about.  Unless you KNOW FOR SURE, the correct answer is "I'm not sure but I *THINK*..." 

75 of 112 (14,104 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2013 5:33:17 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

McHale72 wrote:

johninsj wrote:

Sure. I totally agree.

McHale72 wrote:

johninsj wrote:

Sure. I totally agree.

76 of 112 (14,066 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2013 1:11:16 PM
(0)
Voyager

I also have a Lumia 900. I talked to my local AT&T store Saturday (3-23-13) and at first the workers had no idea what the WP7.8 update was. Then they checked and said the update was only for phones purchased after WP8 came out. I told them that Nokia's web site says it is for my phone. They looked it up some more and said that my phone will not receive the update. To me, this seems like nothing more than AT&T's way of getting people to buy the new versions of phones. With this, I'm trying to find the email address to send my complains into AT&T about the updates, but I'm not sure witch address to send it to.

Proof:

http://www.nokia.com/us-en/windows-phone-7-8-update/

http://www.nokia.com/us-en/support/lumia-software-update/

I tried the Zune update trick (disconnecting the internet) and eventually found the 7.10.8773.98 update after 15-20 tries. I went ahead and did the update (even though it wasn't the one I was wanting) since I had a couple bad problems (explained below) with my phone after I restored my phone. The sad part is I just bought the phone at the beginning of last summer and have a 2 year contract.

I hope this information was helpful.

How I got to were I am (long background story, read only if your curious):

This past January, I got back to college and started classes. The first two weeks, none of my phones alarms worked. I delt with it and it fixed itself but one by one, different problems came and went. Among these were it forgetting my yahoo email information, live tiles not syncing, occasional dead phone were all texts and calls to and from the phone never existed (sent or received), and a couple other minor ones. With no warranty/insurance, I restored the software on the phone and then got stuck with the worst glitch of them all. My phone battery died, the phone wasn't able to turn on, and when hooked up to the charger, it got caught in a loop trying to turn on yet draining more power trying to turn on than the charger could source. Being stuck at college phoneless, I had to remove my battery from my phone, charge it some with my lithium battery charger (I'm big into hobby RC cars and robotics), reinstall it, turn it back on, then hook it up to the charger to finish charging. When this happened, my loud speaker went out so no alarms, speaker phone, or anything from that speaker. Today I got in a replacement speaker (hopefully that's the problem, not some part on the main board being fried) so later today I'm taking my phone apart for the 4th time to try to get it back working properly (wish me luck).

I also have a Lumia 900. I talked to my local AT&T store Saturday (3-23-13) and at first the workers had no idea what the WP7.8 update was. Then they checked and said the update was only for phones purchased after WP8 came out. I told them that Nokia's web site says it is for my phone. They looked it up some more and said that my phone will not receive the update. To me, this seems like nothing more than AT&T's way of getting people to buy the new versions of phones. With this, I'm trying to find the email address to send my complains into AT&T about the updates, but I'm not sure witch address to send it to.

Proof:

http://www.nokia.com/us-en/windows-phone-7-8-update/

http://www.nokia.com/us-en/support/lumia-software-update/

I tried the Zune update trick (disconnecting the internet) and eventually found the 7.10.8773.98 update after 15-20 tries. I went ahead and did the update (even though it wasn't the one I was wanting) since I had a couple bad problems (explained below) with my phone after I restored my phone. The sad part is I just bought the phone at the beginning of last summer and have a 2 year contract.

I hope this information was helpful.

How I got to were I am (long background story, read only if your curious):

This past January, I got back to college and started classes. The first two weeks, none of my phones alarms worked. I delt with it and it fixed itself but one by one, different problems came and went. Among these were it forgetting my yahoo email information, live tiles not syncing, occasional dead phone were all texts and calls to and from the phone never existed (sent or received), and a couple other minor ones. With no warranty/insurance, I restored the software on the phone and then got stuck with the worst glitch of them all. My phone battery died, the phone wasn't able to turn on, and when hooked up to the charger, it got caught in a loop trying to turn on yet draining more power trying to turn on than the charger could source. Being stuck at college phoneless, I had to remove my battery from my phone, charge it some with my lithium battery charger (I'm big into hobby RC cars and robotics), reinstall it, turn it back on, then hook it up to the charger to finish charging. When this happened, my loud speaker went out so no alarms, speaker phone, or anything from that speaker. Today I got in a replacement speaker (hopefully that's the problem, not some part on the main board being fried) so later today I'm taking my phone apart for the 4th time to try to get it back working properly (wish me luck).

77 of 112 (13,866 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2013 1:37:42 PM
(0)
Tutor

Please keep us posted on this. When I purchased my Lumia 900 ( April 26th) I was told- Yep, it will get WP8. Of course later the announcment came out that , no older phone would get WP8, but we would get WP7.8. 

February cam and went without any update. 

Disgruntled is one word I would use on myself. 

So ATT, if you are reading this- How about letting us bill payers know when or even IF we are going to be graced with this overdue update.

Thank you

11 year att wireless customer.

Please keep us posted on this. When I purchased my Lumia 900 ( April 26th) I was told- Yep, it will get WP8. Of course later the announcment came out that , no older phone would get WP8, but we would get WP7.8. 

So ATT, if you are reading this- How about letting us bill payers know when or even IF we are going to be graced with this overdue update.

Thank you

78 of 112 (13,857 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2013 5:41:44 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

cjltrekker wrote:

Thank you

June 20th 2012 was the formal announcement no upgrade to wp8 from 7

WP 7.8 was very slow to release from Microsoft itself, only becoming available Jan 31, 2013. Since then it has been an on again, off again proposition, which I *think* is due to a number of issues seen with the version deployed.

I agree its unfortunate that the upgrade path for wp7 to 8 is only by getting new handsets, and I agree it's unfortunate that AT&T's updates are slow to release. I've only just this morning gotten the lates wp8 update for the 920, which has been released for a while now.

Frankly if you want two or three generations of OS support out of hardware, you're probably better off with an iOS device. Both WP and Android seem to be changing to rapidly and radically to provide the stability and long life for existing hardware. For example, my old iPhone4 (still used as a media player) has the lates iOS on it, while my Titan is still at WP7.5 and won't ever see a later version unless I manually install it.

cjltrekker wrote:

Thank you

June 20th 2012 was the formal announcement no upgrade to wp8 from 7

WP 7.8 was very slow to release from Microsoft itself, only becoming available Jan 31, 2013. Since then it has been an on again, off again proposition, which I *think* is due to a number of issues seen with the version deployed.

I agree its unfortunate that the upgrade path for wp7 to 8 is only by getting new handsets, and I agree it's unfortunate that AT&T's updates are slow to release. I've only just this morning gotten the lates wp8 update for the 920, which has been released for a while now.

Frankly if you want two or three generations of OS support out of hardware, you're probably better off with an iOS device. Both WP and Android seem to be changing to rapidly and radically to provide the stability and long life for existing hardware. For example, my old iPhone4 (still used as a media player) has the lates iOS on it, while my Titan is still at WP7.5 and won't ever see a later version unless I manually install it.

79 of 112 (13,770 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2013 8:25:28 AM
(0)
Tutor
Agreed. My iPhone 3gs, with a non working speaker, just received and functions fine with the latest ios 6.1.3 (not sure exactly which number, but it was just released last week) I primarily use the 3gs as an iPod and to play games I have purchased in the past and are not available or do not function well on WP7/7.5.

But even if this update to 7.8 is on again off again, a simple announcement from ATT would be preferred to all the ambiguity. Just tell is that it is either coming out to our handsets or it is not. That is all we want. ( of course we would rather have the update) but a simple acknowledgement to the when and if would be received better than the not knowing.
If it is a software combatibilty bug or glitch that is being worked on, tell us. If it is that you have no intention of ever releasing it, tell us.
A little honesty goes a long way.
We were promised an update. Just tell us that you have no intention of delivering, or that it is being tweaked.
Agreed. My iPhone 3gs, with a non working speaker, just received and functions fine with the latest ios 6.1.3 (not sure exactly which number, but it was just released last week) I primarily use the 3gs as an iPod and to play games I have purchased in the past and are not available or do not function well on WP7/7.5.

But even if this update to 7.8 is on again off again, a simple announcement from ATT would be preferred to all the ambiguity. Just tell is that it is either coming out to our handsets or it is not. That is all we want. ( of course we would rather have the update) but a simple acknowledgement to the when and if would be received better than the not knowing.
If it is a software combatibilty bug or glitch that is being worked on, tell us. If it is that you have no intention of ever releasing it, tell us.
A little honesty goes a long way.
We were promised an update. Just tell us that you have no intention of delivering, or that it is being tweaked.

80 of 112 (13,758 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2013 3:36:20 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

I don't think they'll ever do that. And no, I have no idea why, it just seems that, based on the history, they don't disclose this stuff ahead of time even if they do know it. So either they don't know, or they do and they don't disclose anyway.

I don't think they'll ever do that. And no, I have no idea why, it just seems that, based on the history, they don't disclose this stuff ahead of time even if they do know it. So either they don't know, or they do and they don't disclose anyway.

81 of 112 (13,685 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 31, 2013 4:07:09 PM
(0)
Voyager
I completely agree that they should just tell us either way. I really just want to know!

Btw: I replaced my speaker, still nothing. It was kinda cool however because we took the old speaker apart and hooked it up to a wave form generator and ran a bunch of different frequencies through it. I've got to say though, I am extremely impressed with Nokia and the way they built ge lumia, I am extremely impressed with how they did some things and the hardware on it!
So I would be in the market for a refurbished android phone, if nothing more, just to give it a try. I had an iPhone 4 and honestly hated the way it way layer out and they you couldn't adjust squat on it. Ive got a ton of friends with androids and I like how they can adjust anything with the phone. But I still want to wait to see the update if it ever happens and I don't have the money to but a new phone lol
I completely agree that they should just tell us either way. I really just want to know!

Btw: I replaced my speaker, still nothing. It was kinda cool however because we took the old speaker apart and hooked it up to a wave form generator and ran a bunch of different frequencies through it. I've got to say though, I am extremely impressed with Nokia and the way they built ge lumia, I am extremely impressed with how they did some things and the hardware on it!
So I would be in the market for a refurbished android phone, if nothing more, just to give it a try. I had an iPhone 4 and honestly hated the way it way layer out and they you couldn't adjust squat on it. Ive got a ton of friends with androids and I like how they can adjust anything with the phone. But I still want to wait to see the update if it ever happens and I don't have the money to but a new phone lol

82 of 112 (12,598 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 3, 2013 9:46:37 PM
(0)
Contributor
Forget waiting for AT&T, the update for the LG Quantum to Windows Phone 7.8 is probably never going to come.

I found this youtube video which shows how it can be done quick and easy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rEt6wPZDnA
Forget waiting for AT&T, the update for the LG Quantum to Windows Phone 7.8 is probably never going to come.

I found this youtube video which shows how it can be done quick and easy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rEt6wPZDnA

83 of 112 (9,908 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 11, 2013 9:54:23 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by zeke009 on Apr 11, 2013 at 9:55:09 PM

Holy shaky cam! I have to say, that BIMDW sure is one smart person.

Holy shaky cam! I have to say, that BIMDW sure is one smart person.

[ Edited ]
84 of 112 (5,000 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 15, 2013 9:26:42 AM
(0)
Voyager

I spoke with AT&T tech support last week.  Inquiring about the Windows Phone 7.8 update being available for the Lumia 900.  They just gave me some boilerplate answer about how they like to test updates and this one hasn't been tested and released yet.

Apparently they're not planning on releasing this, even though we were promised this update when Windows Phone 8 was announced.

I spoke with AT&T tech support last week.  Inquiring about the Windows Phone 7.8 update being available for the Lumia 900.  They just gave me some boilerplate answer about how they like to test updates and this one hasn't been tested and released yet.

Apparently they're not planning on releasing this, even though we were promised this update when Windows Phone 8 was announced.

85 of 112 (4,677 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 23, 2013 4:00:17 PM
(0)
Teacher

Zune Notified me of updates being available last friday.

ATT, HTC Hd7 (Unlocked)

After the updates the phone is running 7.10.8862.144 Which to be best of my knowledge includes all Windows 7.8 that have been released to date.

Zune Notified me of updates being available last friday.

ATT, HTC Hd7 (Unlocked)

After the updates the phone is running 7.10.8862.144 Which to be best of my knowledge includes all Windows 7.8 that have been released to date.

86 of 112 (3,995 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2013 12:08:00 PM
(0)
Scholar

guys just google seven eighter

guys just google seven eighter

I love Chicago

87 of 112 (3,917 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 27, 2013 12:18:51 PM
(0)
Voyager
Edited by amysc on Apr 27, 2013 at 12:20:22 PM

@shuxiang1

Hi,
Is your unlocked HD7 at&t branded?

@shuxiang1

Hi,
Is your unlocked HD7 at&t branded?

[ Edited ]
88 of 112 (3,683 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 27, 2013 11:48:22 PM
(0)
Scholar

The update to 7.8 comes down from Microsoft then to the carrier and they test it on their devices/servers/towers to ensure it works and doesn't screw anything up. 

After that, it's rolled out to the customers. 

AT&T's to blame for this one if they're taking forever and a day to release the patch.

Have no idea why AT&T has not released the update or if they plan on releasing it at all.

Microsoft released the latest update,  7.10.8862.144 , on March 15. Others all over the world have the update.

It is totally in AT&T's hands.

The update to 7.8 comes down from Microsoft then to the carrier and they test it on their devices/servers/towers to ensure it works and doesn't screw anything up. 

After that, it's rolled out to the customers. 

AT&T's to blame for this one if they're taking forever and a day to release the patch.

Have no idea why AT&T has not released the update or if they plan on releasing it at all.

Microsoft released the latest update,  7.10.8862.144 , on March 15. Others all over the world have the update.

It is totally in AT&T's hands.

89 of 112 (3,612 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 29, 2013 6:52:35 PM
(0)
Teacher
seriously, AT&T, where's the update? Be nice to us, the big V is about to get their own flagship lumia.
seriously, AT&T, where's the update? Be nice to us, the big V is about to get their own flagship lumia.

90 of 112 (3,445 Views)