Windows Phone 7.8 Update

Windows Phone 7.8 Update

http://www.wpcentral.com/microsoft-starts-rolling-out-windows-phone-78-update

Seems to have started rolling out slowly,Anyone heard anything from ATT's end?

Message 1 of 112 (46,616 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Professor

Re: Windows Phone 7.8 Update

McHale72 wrote:

johninsj wrote:

You really need to let this go.

YOU need to be less insistent on things you have NO idea what you're talking about.  Unless you KNOW FOR SURE, the correct answer is "I'm not sure but I *THINK*..." 

Let's just call this a life lesson and move on.

Sure. I totally agree.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 76 of 112 (14,735 Views)
Voyager

I also have a Lumia 900. I talked to my local AT&T store Saturday (3-23-13) and at first the workers had no idea what the WP7.8 update was. Then they checked and said the update was only for phones purchased after WP8 came out. I told them that Nokia's web site says it is for my phone. They looked it up some more and said that my phone will not receive the update. To me, this seems like nothing more than AT&T's way of getting people to buy the new versions of phones. With this, I'm trying to find the email address to send my complains into AT&T about the updates, but I'm not sure witch address to send it to.

Proof:

http://www.nokia.com/us-en/windows-phone-7-8-update/

http://www.nokia.com/us-en/support/lumia-software-update/

I tried the Zune update trick (disconnecting the internet) and eventually found the 7.10.8773.98 update after 15-20 tries. I went ahead and did the update (even though it wasn't the one I was wanting) since I had a couple bad problems (explained below) with my phone after I restored my phone. The sad part is I just bought the phone at the beginning of last summer and have a 2 year contract.

I hope this information was helpful.

How I got to were I am (long background story, read only if your curious):

This past January, I got back to college and started classes. The first two weeks, none of my phones alarms worked. I delt with it and it fixed itself but one by one, different problems came and went. Among these were it forgetting my yahoo email information, live tiles not syncing, occasional dead phone were all texts and calls to and from the phone never existed (sent or received), and a couple other minor ones. With no warranty/insurance, I restored the software on the phone and then got stuck with the worst glitch of them all. My phone battery died, the phone wasn't able to turn on, and when hooked up to the charger, it got caught in a loop trying to turn on yet draining more power trying to turn on than the charger could source. Being stuck at college phoneless, I had to remove my battery from my phone, charge it some with my lithium battery charger (I'm big into hobby RC cars and robotics), reinstall it, turn it back on, then hook it up to the charger to finish charging. When this happened, my loud speaker went out so no alarms, speaker phone, or anything from that speaker. Today I got in a replacement speaker (hopefully that's the problem, not some part on the main board being fried) so later today I'm taking my phone apart for the 4th time to try to get it back working properly (wish me luck).

Message 77 of 112 (14,535 Views)

Please keep us posted on this. When I purchased my Lumia 900 ( April 26th) I was told- Yep, it will get WP8. Of course later the announcment came out that , no older phone would get WP8, but we would get WP7.8. 

February cam and went without any update. 

Disgruntled is one word I would use on myself. 

So ATT, if you are reading this- How about letting us bill payers know when or even IF we are going to be graced with this overdue update.

Thank you

11 year att wireless customer.

Message 78 of 112 (14,526 Views)
ACE - Professor

cjltrekker wrote:

Please keep us posted on this. When I purchased my Lumia 900 ( April 26th) I was told- Yep, it will get WP8. Of course later the announcment came out that , no older phone would get WP8, but we would get WP7.8. 

February cam and went without any update. 

Disgruntled is one word I would use on myself. 

So ATT, if you are reading this- How about letting us bill payers know when or even IF we are going to be graced with this overdue update.

Thank you

11 year att wireless customer.

June 20th 2012 was the formal announcement no upgrade to wp8 from 7

WP 7.8 was very slow to release from Microsoft itself, only becoming available Jan 31, 2013. Since then it has been an on again, off again proposition, which I *think* is due to a number of issues seen with the version deployed.

I agree its unfortunate that the upgrade path for wp7 to 8 is only by getting new handsets, and I agree it's unfortunate that AT&T's updates are slow to release. I've only just this morning gotten the lates wp8 update for the 920, which has been released for a while now.

Frankly if you want two or three generations of OS support out of hardware, you're probably better off with an iOS device. Both WP and Android seem to be changing to rapidly and radically to provide the stability and long life for existing hardware. For example, my old iPhone4 (still used as a media player) has the lates iOS on it, while my Titan is still at WP7.5 and won't ever see a later version unless I manually install it.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 79 of 112 (14,439 Views)

Agreed. My iPhone 3gs, with a non working speaker, just received and functions fine with the latest ios 6.1.3 (not sure exactly which number, but it was just released last week) I primarily use the 3gs as an iPod and to play games I have purchased in the past and are not available or do not function well on WP7/7.5.

But even if this update to 7.8 is on again off again, a simple announcement from ATT would be preferred to all the ambiguity. Just tell is that it is either coming out to our handsets or it is not. That is all we want. ( of course we would rather have the update) but a simple acknowledgement to the when and if would be received better than the not knowing.
If it is a software combatibilty bug or glitch that is being worked on, tell us. If it is that you have no intention of ever releasing it, tell us.
A little honesty goes a long way.
We were promised an update. Just tell us that you have no intention of delivering, or that it is being tweaked.
Message 80 of 112 (14,427 Views)
ACE - Professor

I don't think they'll ever do that. And no, I have no idea why, it just seems that, based on the history, they don't disclose this stuff ahead of time even if they do know it. So either they don't know, or they do and they don't disclose anyway.

Message 81 of 112 (14,354 Views)
Voyager

I completely agree that they should just tell us either way. I really just want to know!

Btw: I replaced my speaker, still nothing. It was kinda cool however because we took the old speaker apart and hooked it up to a wave form generator and ran a bunch of different frequencies through it. I've got to say though, I am extremely impressed with Nokia and the way they built ge lumia, I am extremely impressed with how they did some things and the hardware on it!
So I would be in the market for a refurbished android phone, if nothing more, just to give it a try. I had an iPhone 4 and honestly hated the way it way layer out and they you couldn't adjust squat on it. Ive got a ton of friends with androids and I like how they can adjust anything with the phone. But I still want to wait to see the update if it ever happens and I don't have the money to but a new phone lol
Message 82 of 112 (13,267 Views)
Contributor

Forget waiting for AT&T, the update for the LG Quantum to Windows Phone 7.8 is probably never going to come.

I found this youtube video which shows how it can be done quick and easy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rEt6wPZDnA
Message 83 of 112 (10,577 Views)
Mentor

[ Edited ]

Holy shaky cam! I have to say, that BIMDW sure is one smart person.

Message 84 of 112 (5,669 Views)
Voyager

I spoke with AT&T tech support last week.  Inquiring about the Windows Phone 7.8 update being available for the Lumia 900.  They just gave me some boilerplate answer about how they like to test updates and this one hasn't been tested and released yet.

Apparently they're not planning on releasing this, even though we were promised this update when Windows Phone 8 was announced.

Message 85 of 112 (5,346 Views)
Teacher

Zune Notified me of updates being available last friday.

ATT, HTC Hd7 (Unlocked)

After the updates the phone is running 7.10.8862.144 Which to be best of my knowledge includes all Windows 7.8 that have been released to date.

Message 86 of 112 (4,664 Views)

guys just google seven eighter

Message 87 of 112 (4,586 Views)
Voyager

[ Edited ]

@shuxiang1

Hi,
Is your unlocked HD7 at&t branded?

Message 88 of 112 (4,352 Views)

The update to 7.8 comes down from Microsoft then to the carrier and they test it on their devices/servers/towers to ensure it works and doesn't screw anything up. 

After that, it's rolled out to the customers. 

AT&T's to blame for this one if they're taking forever and a day to release the patch.

Have no idea why AT&T has not released the update or if they plan on releasing it at all.

Microsoft released the latest update,  7.10.8862.144 , on March 15. Others all over the world have the update.

It is totally in AT&T's hands.

Message 89 of 112 (4,281 Views)
Teacher

seriously, AT&T, where's the update? Be nice to us, the big V is about to get their own flagship lumia.
Message 90 of 112 (4,114 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.