Windows Phone 7.8 Update

Windows Phone 7.8 Update

http://www.wpcentral.com/microsoft-starts-rolling-out-windows-phone-78-update

Seems to have started rolling out slowly,Anyone heard anything from ATT's end?

Message 1 of 112
Scholar

Re: Windows Phone 7.8 Update

While the "official" mod may refuse to believe and accept there is, in fact, a problem with Windows 7.8 and Live Tiles, it is INDEED a problem that Microsoft is aware of.  They (Microsoft) has also stopped pushing out the 7.8 update.

http://www.mobilenapps.com/articles/7724/20130304/windows-phone-7-8-live-tiles-issues-now-being-fixe...

Don't trust that one link?, then how about this:

http://www.bing.com/search?q=windows+7.8+live+tiles+&qs=n&form=QBLH&pq=windows+7.8+live+tiles+&sc=0-...=

Message 61 of 112
ACE - Professor

mvierling wrote:

While the "official" mod may refuse to believe and accept there is, in fact, a problem with Windows 7.8 and Live Tiles, it is INDEED a problem that Microsoft is aware of.  They (Microsoft) has also stopped pushing out the 7.8 update.

http://www.mobilenapps.com/articles/7724/20130304/windows-phone-7-8-live-tiles-issues-now-being-fixe...

Don't trust that one link?, then how about this:

http://www.bing.com/search?q=windows+7.8+live+tiles+&qs=n&form=QBLH&pq=windows+7.8+live+tiles+&sc=0-...

(a) fi you're referring to me I am not an official mod - quotes or otherwise - I am just a forum member like you.

(b) your links all reference the same post by one MS person in the thread you linked to originally above. This happens often on the internet, with multiple sources all feeding off one post (remember when Mary Jo Foley said there was an Outlook client for RT? And then there were 100 tech blogs that said it was in beta (quoting MJF) and then, well, yeah, nothing?)

While it's quite possible that one post is 100% accurate, the post itself doesn't say anything about rollouts being halted, or that the tile update problem is widespread, or even that the fix is imminent. All those things may be true, but Microsoft hasn't made any official statement, nor is it likely it would in any case other than a major security issue with a hotfix that would be available in days.

The statement made was

"An update: this issue has been recorded and the problem is understood. There are actually two issues:

1. Live tile causing continuous web requests (and side effects such as battery drain)
  2. Live tile failing to update.

The fixes will be considered for inclusion in an update to the phone operating system. In the forum post above, several posters have been able to get around the problem by unpinning and repinning the live tiles. This might be a temporary workaround."

So - known problem(s). Fixes being considered for future release. Workaround available. That's what we know. Being someone who works on commercial software myself, my bet is there are hundreds of known problems with WP7.8 and WP8, and the status of nearly all of them is that.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 62 of 112
Mentor

johninsj, just a friendly reminder that there are multiple people posting to this post. I posted the "original" link, but not any followup links, since you are correct that the blogosphere tends to amplify every little thing (correct or not). I try to reply to what you are actually saying, and would appreciate it if you don't conflate what I have said on this thead with what somebody else says. Thanks!
Message 63 of 112
Scholar

I don't know what  John's problem is and his refusal to accept anything from others.  But for everyone else, Joe Belfiore (Windows Phone lead at Microsoft) acknowledged the Live Tiles problem in a Twitter post:

http://nokiarevolution.com/2013/03/03/windows-phone-7-8-live-tiles-fix-coming-up-belfiore-says/

Microsoft acknowledges Live Tile issues:

http://www.wpcentral.com/microsoft-acknowledges-windows-phone-78-live-tile-issues

Vodafone (in Germany) has informed their customers that Microsoft stopped rolling out the 7.8 update because of the problem and is working on a fix:

http://www.unwiredview.com/2013/02/26/windows-phone-7-8-rollout-may-have-been-halted-to-fix-live-til...

Message 64 of 112
ACE - Professor

So, John's problem is that John is simply truthfully pointing out that MICROSOFT hasn't officially made any statement about halting deployment of wp7.8 for any reason.

Tweets are great. Posts in support forums are great. Third parties blaming Microsoft in Germany are great.

No links to official Microsoft press releases means, no official Microsoft statement that WP7.8 deployments are halted for any reason.

That's John's one and only problem.

Sorry if that bugs you, but usually that is the standard for "official statement".

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 65 of 112

They are back to rolling it out the 7.10.8862 is the last update after 7.8 http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/how-to/wp7/basics/update-history

/Google seven-eighter to get it faster

Message 66 of 112
Tutor

Forbes had an article out last month that even though MSFT has released the 7.8 update carriers (AT&T, T-Mobile) are not planing to releasing the update since it is not worth their time. They will eventually provide the update though since customers who have purchased their hand sets have an implicit contract that their phones will be kept as up to to date as possible with manufacturer and OS updates so I imagine they will be forced to eventually change their ways of screwing the consumer by pigeon holing consumers into only what the company approves in order to control and maximize profits.

Message 67 of 112
Scholar

Yeah, I already updated mine.  Of course, this update doesn't really exist and there are no live tile problems because Microsoft didn't "officially" announce it in a press release or on their website.

Message 68 of 112
Teacher

Small walkthrough for curious users - 

My phone - AT&T branded Titan, picked up refurb'd from BBY (7th time warranty replacement :-P)

Step 1 - Download and install small firmware update from HTC.

Step 2 - run seveneighter as administrator

Step 3 - Select ALL LANGUAGES! (i found this by looking at this useful tidbit - "Very simple to do, you just have install the same language packs you have, check under settings then keyboard to see what languages you have installed, I actually had more than Seven Eighter had so I selected every language." - accv.dre comment.)

Step 4 - LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLLLLL!! The program will restart the phone several times. I am currently on restart 6 or so. Just let the program run, go read a book or something, and come back.

[EDIT] - And, it's all done. Took a little under an hour, and it is definitely running 7.10.8862.144. WOOT!

Message 69 of 112
Mentor

Any idea with the Lumia 900 will get the 7.8 (8862) update?  It was going out last week on the global carriers but I have heard nothing from AT&T on this....

Message 70 of 112

Im not sure.They did stop the initial rollout because of the live tile issues.But theres an update for that now so rollouts have started again.

Message 71 of 112
Scholar

Didn't you know?  They didn't stop the roll out of the update and there is no Live Tile issue.  Just ask Johninsj.

Message 72 of 112
Highlighted
ACE - Professor

mvierling wrote:

Didn't you know?  They didn't stop the roll out of the update and there is no Live Tile issue.  Just ask Johninsj.

You really need to let this go.

Message 73 of 112
Mentor

Ok so AT&T doesn't want us to update our 7.8 Windows phone with the live tile fix.  Hey AT&T I have a year left on my contact, what am I supposed to do with my crippled phone?

Message 74 of 112
Scholar

johninsj wrote:

You really need to let this go.

YOU need to be less insistent on things you have NO idea what you're talking about.  Unless you KNOW FOR SURE, the correct answer is "I'm not sure but I *THINK*..." 

Let's just call this a life lesson and move on.

Message 75 of 112
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support