Windows Phone 7.8 Update

Windows Phone 7.8 Update

http://www.wpcentral.com/microsoft-starts-rolling-out-windows-phone-78-update

Seems to have started rolling out slowly,Anyone heard anything from ATT's end?

Message 1 of 112 (46,631 Views)
ACE - Professor

Re: Windows Phone 7.8 Update

Este é um fórum AT & T - a sua atualização pode vir de sua operadora local.

(via google translate.)

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 46 of 112 (19,745 Views)
Voyager

Directly from AT&T: http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB117823&cv=820#fbid=DUvgy6K7J1V

If link is no good, go to AT&T's site, Wireless Support > Ask a Question > Update the Firmware for a Windows Phone 7 or 7.5 device

It would appear that many Windows Phone 7.5 phone models will get their upgrades in due time.

Message 47 of 112 (19,649 Views)

How are the Titans not on that list

Message 48 of 112 (19,569 Views)
Contributor

Has anyone actually received the Lumia 900 update to 7.8?

In this article AT&T states the following:

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB117823&cv=820#fbid=LoA6jRg9aZq

"Please note that update availability will be staggered at the beginning. If you have not received the update notification, please check again at a later date."

In my opinion this is marketing jargon for "we are not ready and need some more time".

Message 49 of 112 (19,421 Views)
Contributor

Nop, no official update yet!! 

Had called customer service, they were not sure about the exact status of deployment. Was told to update Zune and then check for updates, incase none, then just wait. No luck as yet!

Message 50 of 112 (19,145 Views)
Mentor

I'm wondering if it might be awhile now.  7.8 is reputed to have serious issues regarding live tile updates:

http://www.wpcentral.com/windows-phone-live-tiles-more-problematic-than-first-assumed

AT&T might be waiting to make sure that the network won't get pounded as a result.

Message 51 of 112 (19,107 Views)
ACE - Professor

Unlikely that has anything to do with it. Or that that post is even accurate.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 52 of 112 (19,073 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]

Never ever call customer care .... they have zzero knowledge about technology. They probably dont even know how windows phone looks like. 

They always give some unwanted stupid suggestions like in ur case ... what the helll has zune update has to do with 7.8 update ... I had experienced similar thing 2 yrs back and stopped calling them again.

Message 53 of 112 (18,631 Views)
Contributor

It's been almost a month and yet I bet nobody has received the "Staggered Update". 

Message 54 of 112 (18,523 Views)

I have a Nokia Lumia 900 and I STILL haven't gotten the update. AT&T customer service says it isn't even available.

Message 55 of 112 (18,515 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]

Well, 2-26 still nothing.

Checked my Zune for updates and it's OK.

BTW, ATT with Nokia Lumia 900.

Message 56 of 112 (18,376 Views)

February 28th 2013----- Still no update to Windows 7.8 on my Lumioa 900. Has anyone got it yet?

Message 57 of 112 (18,235 Views)
Mentor

Yes, there is indeed a serious live tile issue in WP 7.8. Johninsj, is a senior escalation engineer on a MSDN board OK as a source, or should Steve Ballmer himself comment?

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/wpdevelop/thread/7b54b400-3aaf-47a8-ba48-a15447406f73

And if the bug is causing users to have data overages, I could see AT&T halting the rollout entirely. I know that AT&T is pretty pathetic generally with updates, but the AT&T Nokias have generally been receiving them pretty quickly (couple weeks tops) after Nokia publishes them on its servers (e.g., Tango). Strange that that isn't the case this time.
Message 58 of 112 (18,206 Views)
ACE - Professor

[ Edited ]

In reading that thread there are a couple of failure modes that are not uniform for all users or apps, so this may not be a "live tiles are broken in 7.8" issue.

I'm sorry but I am hesitant to leap to such a general statement based on the statements made in that thread.

Edit: and of course there is nothing in that thread that implies 7.8 is being held up based on this issue. It's not. It's not even clear if the issue would be addressed in an update (as the MS poster clearly stated.)

Message 59 of 112 (18,138 Views)
Mentor

I agree that the thread didn't explicitly say that, but I've seen elsewhere on the web that 7.8 deployment has slowed down to a crawl. I still think that anything that will have the potential of angry customers calling to complain (worse, go to the media) that an update caused them to go beyond their data allowance and run their bills up will cause case conservative (not political, rather upgrade mindset) AT&T to take pause. And I'm sure that AT&T us getting its info directly from MS and Nokia, and as such they would be getting more complete info than we are getting.
Message 60 of 112 (18,113 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.