Will my wp7.8 apps transfer over to wp8?

Scholar

Will my wp7.8 apps transfer over to wp8?

Im planning on getting the new Lumia 1020, but I was wondering if my apps from my lumia 900 will transfer over to my new phone? I know im gonna have gonna have to reinstall them, but will I have to pay for the apps again?
Message 1 of 6 (10,916 Views)
ACE - Professor

Re: Will my wp7.8 apps transfer over to wp8?

EJ86 wrote:
Im planning on getting the new Lumia 1020, but I was wondering if my apps from my lumia 900 will transfer over to my new phone? I know im gonna have gonna have to reinstall them, but will I have to pay for the apps again?

Assuming you use the same Microsoft store account, the purchases transfer.

There's a pretty nice writeup on it here http://www.wpcentral.com/what-you-need-know-if-you-re-upgrading-windows-phone-7-8

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 6 (10,884 Views)
Mentor

Your apps are remembered it the store and you should not need to repurchase them.  Just a few caveats (from experience):

1.  There may be a few apps which work on 7.8 but not on 8. This is not nearly as prevalent as it was a few month's ago; I would think it pretty rare now actually.  These apps would be mostly one which have been mostly abandoned by their devs.

2.  There may be some apps which show up as "No longer published" in the Purchase History but which can be downloaded via the marketplace as if new.  These are apps which have been republished entirely instead of being merely updated.  IHeartRadio is an example of one such app. 

3.  Any 7.8 apps which were provided by your phone manufacturer will not be available when you upgrade (unless the manufacturer of your new phone is the same of course).  HTC's Flashlight (which was very nice actually) is an example of an app which didn't make it onto my 920 from my Titan for this reason.

4.  Every once in awhile a purchase doesn't show up in my purchase history.  If I have the name, I can look it up and still redownload it.  But if I'm just scrolling down the list I won't see it. 

Hope this helps!

Message 3 of 6 (10,680 Views)
Scholar

I won't be needing this since im gonna be stuck with my lumia 900 for another year. 2yr contract sucks...
Message 4 of 6 (10,607 Views)
Mentor

Yes especially since you can't do early upgrades at 20 months like you used to (if your contract ends after March 2014).  I know I hate that change.

Message 5 of 6 (10,521 Views)
Scholar

They should offer a trade in program for the old wp7 since they can't upgrade to windows 8. 2 years of 7.5-7.8 ain't cutting it. I want my snesx8 emulator...
Message 6 of 6 (10,518 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.