Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 3, 2013
5:08:23 PM
Will Apps from existing iPhone 4 download to new 5S?

I feel like I have the strangest questions.  Here are a few doozies.  

When I receive my new phone, and I activate it, will I have to download my apps (from my iPhone 4) again?  Just curious if they auto download or if I have to do something.  My contacts automatically switch over, but will my music?

Im nervous about my music.  I can't seem to get my iTunes music  from my phone to sync when connected to my laptop.  Its strange because some will synch but not many!  Few years ago, old laptop crashed, needed a new one, purchased a HP 2000 417 Notebook (what I could afford) and have never been able to get the iTunes music on my phone to synch on to the computer. Very frustrating!

Thanks again for any help or advice!

I feel like I have the strangest questions.  Here are a few doozies.  

When I receive my new phone, and I activate it, will I have to download my apps (from my iPhone 4) again?  Just curious if they auto download or if I have to do something.  My contacts automatically switch over, but will my music?

Im nervous about my music.  I can't seem to get my iTunes music  from my phone to sync when connected to my laptop.  Its strange because some will synch but not many!  Few years ago, old laptop crashed, needed a new one, purchased a HP 2000 417 Notebook (what I could afford) and have never been able to get the iTunes music on my phone to synch on to the computer. Very frustrating!

Thanks again for any help or advice!

Will Apps from existing iPhone 4 download to new 5S?

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 3, 2013 6:39:40 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

No, nothing automatically transfers. If you can backup your old phone on iTunes, you can restore those apps, music and contacts on you new phone. If you can't backup your old phone, you will need to download those apps and music.

Otherwise, if you have those uploaded to iCloud, they can be restored from there.

This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.

No, nothing automatically transfers. If you can backup your old phone on iTunes, you can restore those apps, music and contacts on you new phone. If you can't backup your old phone, you will need to download those apps and music.

Otherwise, if you have those uploaded to iCloud, they can be restored from there.

This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Will Apps from existing iPhone 4 download to new 5S?

2 of 4 (538 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2013 6:50:05 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Your settings can be restored form a backup, but the apps and the music are two things which are not included in the backup of an iPhone.  Those items are synced in from iTunes, or if purchased through the iTunes App Store, re-downloaded for free.

Now, if you go into "Settings -> iTunes & App Store" there are options for automatic downlaods of "Music", "Apps". "Books" and "Updates".  If you turn on the first two, your iPhone should automatically downlaod any purchased Music or Apps once you sign into the App Store  with your AppleID.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

Your settings can be restored form a backup, but the apps and the music are two things which are not included in the backup of an iPhone.  Those items are synced in from iTunes, or if purchased through the iTunes App Store, re-downloaded for free.

Now, if you go into "Settings -> iTunes & App Store" there are options for automatic downlaods of "Music", "Apps". "Books" and "Updates".  If you turn on the first two, your iPhone should automatically downlaod any purchased Music or Apps once you sign into the App Store  with your AppleID.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 4 (466 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 8, 2013 6:34:14 AM
(0)
Scholar

If you set up the iPhone by restoring a backup of the previous phone, then iTunes will automatically install the same apps.

iTunes only allows you to move music from the phone to the computer if the music was purchased from the iTunes Store. Syncing is supposed to be from computer to phone, not phone to computer, so it's not a good idea to make your phone your only copy or only backup. However, there are other threads on this forum that provide options for "backwards syncing."

If you set up the iPhone by restoring a backup of the previous phone, then iTunes will automatically install the same apps.

iTunes only allows you to move music from the phone to the computer if the music was purchased from the iTunes Store. Syncing is supposed to be from computer to phone, not phone to computer, so it's not a good idea to make your phone your only copy or only backup. However, there are other threads on this forum that provide options for "backwards syncing."

4 of 4 (321 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments