Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 8, 2013
3:42:19 PM
View profile
Will AT&T let me transfer from SIM to microSIM on 10 cent plan?
Edited by vtujfz on Sep 8, 2013 at 4:04:02 PM

I have a GoPhone 10 cent per minute plan.  I have a regular size SIM card and I'm getting a smartphone soon that has a microSIM slot (Nexus 4 or the upcoming "Nexus 5").

Will AT&T let me get a microSIM card for my 10 cent per minute plan?

I plan to turn off cellular data and just use wifi. 

I know I can get a SIM cutter but first I want to see if I can go to an AT&T store and ask them for a microSIM card and have them transfer my plan over to the new microSIM card.

I have a GoPhone 10 cent per minute plan.  I have a regular size SIM card and I'm getting a smartphone soon that has a microSIM slot (Nexus 4 or the upcoming "Nexus 5").

Will AT&T let me get a microSIM card for my 10 cent per minute plan?

I plan to turn off cellular data and just use wifi. 

I know I can get a SIM cutter but first I want to see if I can go to an AT&T store and ask them for a microSIM card and have them transfer my plan over to the new microSIM card.

Will AT&T let me transfer from SIM to microSIM on 10 cent plan?

[ Edited ]
7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 8, 2013 6:19:24 PM
(0)
Master
They should be able to do this for you. They might tell you that you need to switch your plan to one of the newer monthly plans to accommodate a smartphone, but just know that you are not forced to give up your current plan.

Good luck!

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

They should be able to do this for you. They might tell you that you need to switch your plan to one of the newer monthly plans to accommodate a smartphone, but just know that you are not forced to give up your current plan.

Good luck!

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010

Re: Will AT&T let me transfer from SIM to microSIM on 10 cent plan?

2 of 8 (9,503 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 8, 2013 9:11:33 PM
(0)
Employee

Yes.

Feel free to stop into any of our COR stores.

If you stop into an Authorized Retailer, they may charge up to 29.99 for a Sim Card, where you can get one for free at any of our Corporate Owned Stores.

Yes.

Feel free to stop into any of our COR stores.

If you stop into an Authorized Retailer, they may charge up to 29.99 for a Sim Card, where you can get one for free at any of our Corporate Owned Stores.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

3 of 8 (9,482 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 8, 2013 11:00:36 PM
(0)
Scholar

If I go on a trip and switched to a $60 smartphone plan, can I switch back to the 10 cent per minute plan after I get back from my trip?

If I go on a trip and switched to a $60 smartphone plan, can I switch back to the 10 cent per minute plan after I get back from my trip?

4 of 8 (9,465 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2013 4:26:51 AM
(0)
Master

vtujfz wrote:

You could, but I would not recommend doing so. Once AT&T detects that you're using a smartphone, they will not allow you to switch back to the $0.10 per minute plan. The pay per use rate is now for feature phones only. You are able to use it currently with a smartphone because it's a "grandfathered" plan, but if you switched plans, you would not be able to switch back. 

vtujfz wrote:

You could, but I would not recommend doing so. Once AT&T detects that you're using a smartphone, they will not allow you to switch back to the $0.10 per minute plan. The pay per use rate is now for feature phones only. You are able to use it currently with a smartphone because it's a "grandfathered" plan, but if you switched plans, you would not be able to switch back. 

5 of 8 (9,407 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2013 1:16:04 PM
(0)
Scholar

So if the SIM was in a smartphone and I switched to the $60 plan, could I switch back to the 10 cent per minute plan by putting the SIM in a feature phone and then back into the smartphone?

So if the SIM was in a smartphone and I switched to the $60 plan, could I switch back to the 10 cent per minute plan by putting the SIM in a feature phone and then back into the smartphone?

6 of 8 (9,386 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2013 6:42:59 PM
(0)
Master

vtujfz wrote:

You know, I'm not completely sure on that one because it's not guaranteed if you will get the option to switch back to the $0.10/minute plan even if you place the SIM in a feature phone. I don't know if the system would detect the switch for a smartphone back to a feature phone. It would be risky to try it because as far as I'm concerned, there's no guarantee that you will get the chance to switch back. It's worth a shot, I suppose!

If the $0.10/minute plan is important to you, I would not condone switching plans. Choose the plan that's best for your needs as well as your wallet. 

vtujfz wrote:

You know, I'm not completely sure on that one because it's not guaranteed if you will get the option to switch back to the $0.10/minute plan even if you place the SIM in a feature phone. I don't know if the system would detect the switch for a smartphone back to a feature phone. It would be risky to try it because as far as I'm concerned, there's no guarantee that you will get the chance to switch back. It's worth a shot, I suppose!

If the $0.10/minute plan is important to you, I would not condone switching plans. Choose the plan that's best for your needs as well as your wallet. 

7 of 8 (9,359 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 16, 2013 11:12:59 AM
(0)
Mentor

ATT doesn't care if you are using a smartphone or not when you choose 10 cent flex plan. They cares only when you choose $35 data umlimted plan for basic phones.

However, you have to call the customer service to change the plan.

ATT doesn't care if you are using a smartphone or not when you choose 10 cent flex plan. They cares only when you choose $35 data umlimted plan for basic phones.

However, you have to call the customer service to change the plan.

8 of 8 (9,145 Views)