Ask a question

Posted Aug 10, 2013
    6:26:57 AM
    View profile
    Wifi verses data
    Can somebody please tell me why when my cellular data is turned off and I have wifi I can't send or receive pic messages, voicemail etc.. I have been habitually going over my 300mb plan when I have wifi at home and work which is where I am 90% of the time.. I decided to turn my data off because I'm tired of paying extra every month for going over and have encountered these issues.. AT&T representative couldn't explain it to me, he said as long as I have wifi I shouldn't have to use data. Is this a scam AT&T because I'm pretty peeved right now...

Wifi verses data

8 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (8)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 10, 2013 6:36:57 AM
    (0)
    Expert

Jhotch wrote:
    Can somebody please tell me why when my cellular data is turned off and I have wifi I can't send or receive pic messages, voicemail etc.. I have been habitually going over my 300mb plan when I have wifi at home and work which is where I am 90% of the time.. I decided to turn my data off because I'm tired of paying extra every month for going over and have encountered these issues.. AT&T representative couldn't explain it to me, he said as long as I have wifi I shouldn't have to use data. Is this a scam AT&T because I'm pretty peeved right now...

MMS messages require cellular data, it will not work over wofo. MMS is a enahncement to the stabdard SMS (text) message, the text portion is piggybacked off of the voice channel and the picture is on the data channel

Re: Wifi verses data

2 of 9 (365 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 10, 2013 7:19:08 AM
    (0)
    Tutor
    So even with an unlimited texting plan that is supposed to include mms they will charge against your data plan?

3 of 9 (355 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 10, 2013 7:33:09 AM
    (0)
    Expert
    Edited by wingrider01 on Aug 10, 2013 at 7:33:57 AM

Jhotch wrote:
    So even with an unlimited texting plan that is supposed to include mms they will charge against your data plan?

if you turn off cellular data it has no way of sending, unlimited text or not. The swithc for cellular data is on or off for all functions requiring it. You are turning it off at the device level

[ Edited ]
    4 of 9 (349 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 10, 2013 8:02:53 AM
    (0)
    Employee

Jhotch wrote:

No. MMS requires a cellular data connection to work but it does not get charged against your data plan. MMS messages only count against your texting plan. 

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

5 of 9 (342 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 10, 2013 10:28:13 AM
    (0)
    Tutor
    Ok, thank you

6 of 9 (327 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 10, 2013 12:18:07 PM
    (0)
    Tutor
    Just one more thing that doesn't make sense to me though.. You said you have to have data for the mms messages but it will go against our text plan which is great. My husband and I both have smartphones but my daughter does not, nor do we pay for a data plan for her but she can still receive mms messages. Why can her non smartphone receive mms with no data but my smartphone will not widen my data is turned off?

7 of 9 (316 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 10, 2013 12:19:26 PM
    (0)
    Tutor
    *when* not widen, spellcheck.. Smartphones are not so smart...

8 of 9 (315 Views)
    Highlighted
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 10, 2013 12:33:55 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Expert
    Edited by Dcookie on Aug 10, 2013 at 12:35:52 PM

Jhotch wrote:
    Just one more thing that doesn't make sense to me though.. You said you have to have data for the mms messages but it will go against our text plan which is great. My husband and I both have smartphones but my daughter does not, nor do we pay for a data plan for her but she can still receive mms messages. Why can her non smartphone receive mms with no data but my smartphone will not widen my data is turned off?

There is data involved in sending and receiving MMS...that is INCLUDED in your Messaging Plan...it does not use your smartphone data plan. If she in included in your Messaging Plan, that is why she is able to use MMS on her dumbphone. All data assiciated with MMS is included in your Messaging Plan.

What another poster was trying to tell you, that in order for MMS to work on your smartphones, your cellular data on your smartphones needs to be turned to ON. MMS will NOT work over Wifi alone.  

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
    9 of 9 (311 Views)