Wifi tethering on gophone account

Wifi tethering on gophone account

Hello, I have an LG Thrive phone on a Gophone account. I would like to be able to use it as a hotspot for my Samsung Galaxy Tablet. It appears that I can't, but not clear why. Do I need a different phone for the plan? (I think this one is due for an upgrade) Or can this just not be done on Gophone plans? Thank you Kevin Kopchynski
Message 1 of 8
ACE - Expert

Re: Wifi tethering on gophone account

I do not believe AT&T GoPhone plans allow any tethering. It is not clear why, it's just the way it is.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 8

Yes, I suspected this but could not verify it before posting this. Some one has just posted a link to the new ATT terms of service, and If you search on "tether" in that, it is described as "unreasonable use". So I guess I will be paying some other company for a hot-spot device. If I am forced onto a monthly plan to get tethering, I will switch back to Verizon. The reason I came to ATT is that I could have a prepaid smartphone. Too bad for ATT that they cannot be more service-oriented here. I can see why they would be concerned about tethering on unlimited plans, as usage could skyrocket. But on a pay per use plan, the user would need to moderate their use. Bottom line: some other company is now getting my money that I could have been giving to ATT.
Message 3 of 8
ACE - Expert

You're absolutely right, AT&T policy on tethering makes no sense with the limited data bucket plans. My guess is they see it as a money-making opportunity that plays in their favor in the long term.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 8
Mentor

Well, looks like I need to cancel the data on my phone and get a cheap mobile broadband device or get a cheap phone from someone else and else it only for data and wifi-tethering.

Message 5 of 8
Mentor

Or it might be worth just switching all together. I don't think this is something a lot of people know until they try to get it working with their AT&T or Gophone smartphone.

Message 6 of 8
Contributor

Yes you can tether with gophone - you have to have non ATT branded phone. I used tethering more than year, unfortunately my European market Android phone died and now i found that cannot tether with ATT phone. I had several calls to att and they told if i have non ATT phon i could tether... So the restriction is built in ATT version and i have to find solution how to flash my new ATT lumia 820 into unbranded ROM to regain tethering. Thats a wery unfair policy by ATT. So if you find a way to get rid of ATT software and make it unbranded then you could tether for free and there is nothing they can do...

Message 7 of 8
Contributor

This is not true.  I bought my unlocked Nokia Lumia 920 in Kuwait and it is an unbranded phone (they don't have AT&T there).  I've never owned any type of branded phone, and when I try to tether with my AT&T simcard it says that I need to call customer service to get this feature enabled..  I'm sure there are some models of unlocked phones that don't have this check built-in, but my factory unlocked Lumia 920 does.  So, I would be careful about buying a factory unlocked phone under the assumption that it is going to allow tethering.  It might and it might not. 

Message 8 of 8
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.

Additional Support