Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jun 13, 2013
12:48:16 PM
Wifi tethering on gophone account
Hello, I have an LG Thrive phone on a Gophone account. I would like to be able to use it as a hotspot for my Samsung Galaxy Tablet. It appears that I can't, but not clear why. Do I need a different phone for the plan? (I think this one is due for an upgrade) Or can this just not be done on Gophone plans? Thank you Kevin Kopchynski
Hello, I have an LG Thrive phone on a Gophone account. I would like to be able to use it as a hotspot for my Samsung Galaxy Tablet. It appears that I can't, but not clear why. Do I need a different phone for the plan? (I think this one is due for an upgrade) Or can this just not be done on Gophone plans? Thank you Kevin Kopchynski

Wifi tethering on gophone account

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 13, 2013 4:25:55 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
I do not believe AT&T GoPhone plans allow any tethering. It is not clear why, it's just the way it is.
I do not believe AT&T GoPhone plans allow any tethering. It is not clear why, it's just the way it is.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Wifi tethering on gophone account

2 of 8 (9,058 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 14, 2013 7:38:36 AM
(0)
Tutor
Yes, I suspected this but could not verify it before posting this. Some one has just posted a link to the new ATT terms of service, and If you search on "tether" in that, it is described as "unreasonable use". So I guess I will be paying some other company for a hot-spot device. If I am forced onto a monthly plan to get tethering, I will switch back to Verizon. The reason I came to ATT is that I could have a prepaid smartphone. Too bad for ATT that they cannot be more service-oriented here. I can see why they would be concerned about tethering on unlimited plans, as usage could skyrocket. But on a pay per use plan, the user would need to moderate their use. Bottom line: some other company is now getting my money that I could have been giving to ATT.
Yes, I suspected this but could not verify it before posting this. Some one has just posted a link to the new ATT terms of service, and If you search on "tether" in that, it is described as "unreasonable use". So I guess I will be paying some other company for a hot-spot device. If I am forced onto a monthly plan to get tethering, I will switch back to Verizon. The reason I came to ATT is that I could have a prepaid smartphone. Too bad for ATT that they cannot be more service-oriented here. I can see why they would be concerned about tethering on unlimited plans, as usage could skyrocket. But on a pay per use plan, the user would need to moderate their use. Bottom line: some other company is now getting my money that I could have been giving to ATT.

3 of 8 (9,020 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 14, 2013 9:53:50 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
You're absolutely right, AT&T policy on tethering makes no sense with the limited data bucket plans. My guess is they see it as a money-making opportunity that plays in their favor in the long term.
You're absolutely right, AT&T policy on tethering makes no sense with the limited data bucket plans. My guess is they see it as a money-making opportunity that plays in their favor in the long term.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 8 (9,005 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 16, 2013 2:33:26 PM
(0)
Mentor

Well, looks like I need to cancel the data on my phone and get a cheap mobile broadband device or get a cheap phone from someone else and else it only for data and wifi-tethering.

Well, looks like I need to cancel the data on my phone and get a cheap mobile broadband device or get a cheap phone from someone else and else it only for data and wifi-tethering.

5 of 8 (7,498 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 16, 2013 2:36:31 PM
(0)
Mentor

Or it might be worth just switching all together. I don't think this is something a lot of people know until they try to get it working with their AT&T or Gophone smartphone.

Or it might be worth just switching all together. I don't think this is something a lot of people know until they try to get it working with their AT&T or Gophone smartphone.

6 of 8 (7,494 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2013 9:52:41 AM
(0)
Contributor

Yes you can tether with gophone - you have to have non ATT branded phone. I used tethering more than year, unfortunately my European market Android phone died and now i found that cannot tether with ATT phone. I had several calls to att and they told if i have non ATT phon i could tether... So the restriction is built in ATT version and i have to find solution how to flash my new ATT lumia 820 into unbranded ROM to regain tethering. Thats a wery unfair policy by ATT. So if you find a way to get rid of ATT software and make it unbranded then you could tether for free and there is nothing they can do...

Yes you can tether with gophone - you have to have non ATT branded phone. I used tethering more than year, unfortunately my European market Android phone died and now i found that cannot tether with ATT phone. I had several calls to att and they told if i have non ATT phon i could tether... So the restriction is built in ATT version and i have to find solution how to flash my new ATT lumia 820 into unbranded ROM to regain tethering. Thats a wery unfair policy by ATT. So if you find a way to get rid of ATT software and make it unbranded then you could tether for free and there is nothing they can do...

7 of 8 (6,971 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 27, 2013 1:47:45 PM
(0)
Contributor

This is not true.  I bought my unlocked Nokia Lumia 920 in Kuwait and it is an unbranded phone (they don't have AT&T there).  I've never owned any type of branded phone, and when I try to tether with my AT&T simcard it says that I need to call customer service to get this feature enabled..  I'm sure there are some models of unlocked phones that don't have this check built-in, but my factory unlocked Lumia 920 does.  So, I would be careful about buying a factory unlocked phone under the assumption that it is going to allow tethering.  It might and it might not. 

This is not true.  I bought my unlocked Nokia Lumia 920 in Kuwait and it is an unbranded phone (they don't have AT&T there).  I've never owned any type of branded phone, and when I try to tether with my AT&T simcard it says that I need to call customer service to get this feature enabled..  I'm sure there are some models of unlocked phones that don't have this check built-in, but my factory unlocked Lumia 920 does.  So, I would be careful about buying a factory unlocked phone under the assumption that it is going to allow tethering.  It might and it might not. 

8 of 8 (5,424 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments