Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Highlighted
Posted Nov 13, 2012
12:28:53 PM
View profile
Wifi on my cell phone is turning off by itself all of a sudden?

I just installed a new modem/router and all of a sudden my cell phone wifi keeps turning off by itself. I don't know if this is an issue with my cell phone or the new modem/router? I didn't have this issue with my old modem/router. My cell phone is a samsung gsII skyrocket. The modem/router I just installed is not one i purchased from att. I don't know if my issue has to do with the fact that i installed a modem/router that isn't a att modem/router? I'm so frustrated with so many issues with att I just don't know what to do?

I just installed a new modem/router and all of a sudden my cell phone wifi keeps turning off by itself. I don't know if this is an issue with my cell phone or the new modem/router? I didn't have this issue with my old modem/router. My cell phone is a samsung gsII skyrocket. The modem/router I just installed is not one i purchased from att. I don't know if my issue has to do with the fact that i installed a modem/router that isn't a att modem/router? I'm so frustrated with so many issues with att I just don't know what to do?

Wifi on my cell phone is turning off by itself all of a sudden?

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 14, 2012 9:02:39 AM
(0)
Professor

AT&T doesn't restrict what routers you're able to connect to. I don't know of anything on a router that would force WiFi on your phone to turn itself off. Any new updates installed recently? Maybe a reset is in order.

AT&T doesn't restrict what routers you're able to connect to. I don't know of anything on a router that would force WiFi on your phone to turn itself off. Any new updates installed recently? Maybe a reset is in order.

Re: Wifi on my cell phone is turning off by itself all of a sudden?

2 of 5 (2,234 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2014 5:56:54 PM
(0)
Contributor

Me and my mom have been having issues with our phones, too. Whether it be wifi, or old files keep popping up, or my phone turns itself off. Our 2-year warranty is up by now, so we think that AT&T is just screwing with our phones so we have to buy a new one.

Me and my mom have been having issues with our phones, too. Whether it be wifi, or old files keep popping up, or my phone turns itself off. Our 2-year warranty is up by now, so we think that AT&T is just screwing with our phones so we have to buy a new one.

3 of 5 (737 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2014 6:00:12 PM
(0)
Expert

erinsuniverse wrote:

Suspect you are talking about service contract and not warrenty - the warrenty is only for 1 year/ I seriously doubt that ATT is doing anything, sounds like your phone is having a mechanical problem especially if it is turning it self off. That is unless it came into contact with the AllSparkSmiley Happy

erinsuniverse wrote:

Suspect you are talking about service contract and not warrenty - the warrenty is only for 1 year/ I seriously doubt that ATT is doing anything, sounds like your phone is having a mechanical problem especially if it is turning it self off. That is unless it came into contact with the AllSparkSmiley Happy

4 of 5 (735 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 11, 2014 9:27:36 AM
(0)
Mentor

Here is what I suggest and will likely fix your issue. If this is a regular DSL or Uverse modem the same thing applies.  First is to get your device access code off the side of your modem. It will say Device Access Code or System Password next to it NOT Wireless Network Key.  After you have that go to 192.168.1.254 in your web browser of choice. Once there it is either a direct link on the main page that says WIRELESS or on Motorola modems Home Network then Wireless.  Once there it will ask for the device access code / system password. Enter it and hit the button to continue. Once there find the setting that says Channel or Wirless Channel next to it. If it has the setting AUTO lock it in to 5,7,9, or 10 you can try different settings if speed is an issue or even dropping. Do not leave it on AUTO that is the issue. If you need WPS for a wireless printer or other WPS device it can be turned on at the same time. Save or Submit the changes it will let you know by saying Changes Saved clearly towards the top of the page. Once that adjustment is made you should no longer have wifi dropping or slow speed issues. Please let us know if this helped you :-)

Here is what I suggest and will likely fix your issue. If this is a regular DSL or Uverse modem the same thing applies.  First is to get your device access code off the side of your modem. It will say Device Access Code or System Password next to it NOT Wireless Network Key.  After you have that go to 192.168.1.254 in your web browser of choice. Once there it is either a direct link on the main page that says WIRELESS or on Motorola modems Home Network then Wireless.  Once there it will ask for the device access code / system password. Enter it and hit the button to continue. Once there find the setting that says Channel or Wirless Channel next to it. If it has the setting AUTO lock it in to 5,7,9, or 10 you can try different settings if speed is an issue or even dropping. Do not leave it on AUTO that is the issue. If you need WPS for a wireless printer or other WPS device it can be turned on at the same time. Save or Submit the changes it will let you know by saying Changes Saved clearly towards the top of the page. Once that adjustment is made you should no longer have wifi dropping or slow speed issues. Please let us know if this helped you :-)

5 of 5 (595 Views)