Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 25, 2013
8:36:38 PM
View profile
Why should I Reduce my Data Plan to get Get A Hot Spot?

I have been grandfathered into the Unlimitd Data Plan which I enjoy not paying too much and not having to worry when my little guy watches his Thomas the Train on the phone. What I don't understand is when I have asked if I can set up my phone as a hot spot I have been told I would have to reduce to 5GB plan or a family share plan. 

Hold on I said. I have to loose unlimited and worry about going over when using my phone as a Hot Spot. Hold on again I said. When I signed up there was no option for Hot Spot, now that there is I am being penalized for having a good plan that would help me benieft from being able to use it as a hot spot for my work iPad. Something isn't right here. I am penalized becuase they did not think forward and now I am being asked to go backwards.

I spoke with a couple of people over at AT&T about this and got the same response, they are sorry they understand my frustration and they can't do anything. BUT I can push forward to the corporate. 

I hope other people are having this issue and will be willing to step up with me and say, I don't want to decrease my unlimited plan to get a service that I logically should be reciving because I have more than 5GB plan.

I have been grandfathered into the Unlimitd Data Plan which I enjoy not paying too much and not having to worry when my little guy watches his Thomas the Train on the phone. What I don't understand is when I have asked if I can set up my phone as a hot spot I have been told I would have to reduce to 5GB plan or a family share plan. 

Hold on I said. I have to loose unlimited and worry about going over when using my phone as a Hot Spot. Hold on again I said. When I signed up there was no option for Hot Spot, now that there is I am being penalized for having a good plan that would help me benieft from being able to use it as a hot spot for my work iPad. Something isn't right here. I am penalized becuase they did not think forward and now I am being asked to go backwards.

I spoke with a couple of people over at AT&T about this and got the same response, they are sorry they understand my frustration and they can't do anything. BUT I can push forward to the corporate. 

I hope other people are having this issue and will be willing to step up with me and say, I don't want to decrease my unlimited plan to get a service that I logically should be reciving because I have more than 5GB plan.

Why should I Reduce my Data Plan to get Get A Hot Spot?

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 25, 2013 9:49:53 PM
(0)
Expert
Edited by Dcookie on Sep 25, 2013 at 9:52:11 PM

Not sure if you've seen this thread or not....this may answer your question...

Tethering is not allowed on Grandfathered Unlimited Data Plans...

http://forums.att.com/t5/Data-Messaging-Features-Internet/Unlimited-Data-Plan-and-Personal-Hotspot-p...

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

Not sure if you've seen this thread or not....this may answer your question...

Tethering is not allowed on Grandfathered Unlimited Data Plans...

http://forums.att.com/t5/Data-Messaging-Features-Internet/Unlimited-Data-Plan-and-Personal-Hotspot-possible/m-p/3416837#M61014

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

Re: Why should I Reduce my Data Plan to get Get A Hot Spot?

[ Edited ]
2 of 4 (662 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 26, 2013 7:45:51 AM
(0)
Professor

Tethering has never been allowed on the unlimited plan. It was always an add-on which if I remember correctly, was somewhere around $70/month.

Also consider that if you were able to tether on the unlimited plan, how soon would you hit the throttling limit of 3GB (non-LTE) or 5GB (LTE)?

An option you might want to think about is a MiFi device. Yes, it's an additional charge, but you can tether multiple devices and not tap into your phone's data.

Tethering has never been allowed on the unlimited plan. It was always an add-on which if I remember correctly, was somewhere around $70/month.

Also consider that if you were able to tether on the unlimited plan, how soon would you hit the throttling limit of 3GB (non-LTE) or 5GB (LTE)?

An option you might want to think about is a MiFi device. Yes, it's an additional charge, but you can tether multiple devices and not tap into your phone's data.

3 of 4 (623 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 26, 2013 9:55:51 AM
(0)
Former Employee

I understand your frustration. I have the unlimited plan also and would love to be able to use hotspot but it is not going to happen. As others have pointed out, hotspot is just a wifi version of tethering which was never a feature of the unlimited plan. Once a plan is discontinued, they simply don't make changes to it and adding tethering/hotspot would be a change.

I once had an 850 minute family plan but that plan only allowed 4 lines. When I wanted to add a 5th line, I had to change to a current plan which was 700 minutes (same price as the old 850 minute plan, though). Bottom line, once a plan is discontinued, they will allow you to keep using it but they won't make changes to it.

I understand your frustration. I have the unlimited plan also and would love to be able to use hotspot but it is not going to happen. As others have pointed out, hotspot is just a wifi version of tethering which was never a feature of the unlimited plan. Once a plan is discontinued, they simply don't make changes to it and adding tethering/hotspot would be a change.

I once had an 850 minute family plan but that plan only allowed 4 lines. When I wanted to add a 5th line, I had to change to a current plan which was 700 minutes (same price as the old 850 minute plan, though). Bottom line, once a plan is discontinued, they will allow you to keep using it but they won't make changes to it.

4 of 4 (605 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments