Why no BBM video chat

Teacher

Why no BBM video chat

I recently chatted, online, with someone that tried to tell me that ATT does not block Blackberry features. Well, it looks as though he was incorrect? I've been trying to use Blackberry Messenger Video Chat to no avail. I've run accross various articles, now, that mention that ATT does not allow manufacture installed video chat programs without either "Mobile Share" or "Tiered Accounts". Well I don't know what a tiered account would be and I don't have mobile share.

The main thing I don't understand is why... BBM Video Chat requires the use of wifi and not a carrier network. So why would ATT be blocking this?

Message 1 of 7 (1,718 Views)
Tutor

Re: Why no BBM video chat

You should be on LTE and ensure the other person you are calling has BB10 and supports video BBM. I haven't had any issues...
Message 2 of 7 (1,554 Views)
Tutor

My lady and I use BBM Vid Chat a lot. She was on T-Mobile and it worked. She is now on AT&T as am I and it works. It works no matter where we are and what type of wireless data connection we have (she travels a lot). To me what is amazing is that it just works. Anytime we want to vid chat, we do without issue. We are both on Z10s with OS Version 10.1.0.2025 (Software Release 10.1.0.2006). That OS is not pushed by AT&T.

Message 3 of 7 (1,522 Views)
Highlighted
Contributor

Hi!

BBM Video Chat is not working for me. I am on the 60$ monthly GoPhone plan. Whenever I try to hit the little video chat button it tells me I should dial 611 to activate this feature. When I do that, I don't get the option to activate.

Does anybody have a solution?

The strange part is, it used to work yesterday.

Thanks,

-pac

Message 4 of 7 (772 Views)
Tutor

Same here..

This is ridiculous, we should able to use our data how we see fit.

No options to use bbm voice or data over the mobile network

Message 5 of 7 (744 Views)
Contributor

This is ridiculous. You know why?? Now it just works. I removed the battery, waited for 5 minutes, inserted a German SIM card I brought with me (I am here for vacation) and started the phone. Did the same thing but inserted the AT&T card and now it works fine.

I feel sorry for you guys. This country without any regulations by the gov has the customer in the cold, ugly grip of the carriers.

-pac

Message 6 of 7 (741 Views)
Contributor

you have need lte
Message 7 of 7 (551 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.