Why is it impossible to report a tower outage?

Highlighted
Contributor

Why is it impossible to report a tower outage?

I'm one of those rural people abandoned by the landline industry to the tender mercies of the wireless world. The tower that serves my house has been out for over two weeks. Fewer than 1 in 10 calls goes out at all, and those are typically dropped within a minute or two. I've tried three different phones, I've hiked to the top of the ridge where I have line-of-sight to the tower (2 miles away). I've checked with neighbors who also rely on this tower. It's really the tower. I've called 5 different AT&T 800 numbers, I've visited an AT&T owned/operated wireless store (125 miles away), I've emailed the CEO. The 800 numbers never get me to a person, the AT&T store folks have no way to report an outage other than a generic trouble ticket which doesn't contain enough information to pinpoint the tower, and the CEO (or his staff) don't respond. What's a customer supposed to do?

In case anyone is listening:

Physical tower is owned by Crown Castle.
The Crown Castle tower number is 871332
Site address is listed as "13 miles NE of Lindrith, Lindrith, NM, 87029"
Site Name is "Tierra Amarilla - Wolf Draw"
Tower Coordinates - UTM 13 S 323090  4035785 (NAD83)

Message 1 of 9 (990 Views)

Re: Why is it impossible to report a tower outage?

This is an interesting thread.

I suspect I have a similar problem with a tower near the GA/AL border (rural).  I've only tested it with the one phone that I have -- so it's possible that the phone is at fault... but I only have a problem in this area -- I have no problems in metro Atlanta (an LTE area.)

This rural area is labeled on the AT&T coverage map as having 2G service and I've tried numerous places which should have a signal -- according to the map.  I get virtually no signal at all and if I do get a weak signal it's often an "H" or an "LTE" (which suggests that it's not comming from the 2G tower.)

I really think that's an odd pattern -- the most logical explaination is that the 2G tower is not working.  But I can't prove that.

Thanks for bringing this up, Llaves.

Message 2 of 9 (949 Views)
Tutor

How did you get your tower's info?

Message 3 of 9 (859 Views)
Scholar

You can get tower information from the FCC.

Message 4 of 9 (851 Views)
Scholar

do you use a smartphone? If so, download the mark the spot app. Their network engineers do actually use that data and the app will even tell you if there's a known issue in your area and will also give you updates. 

Message 5 of 9 (838 Views)
Tutor

I do use the app. Thanks. I've reported a degraded tower several times. The
att towers website no longer shows our towers.

I'm thinking crown castle owns it now and now the service stinks.
Message 6 of 9 (837 Views)

Thanks, joeshmo2010!  I didn't know about that app -- I'm still pretty new to AT&T wireless.

Message 7 of 9 (798 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Arikmoon - I got the info from a plaque bolted to the building at the base of the tower. The coordinates are from my GPS. BTW, this is not your typical cell tower. It's a substantial electronics tower on a ridge in the Santa Fe National Forest. In addition to cell antennas, it's got microwave relays and other equipment I don't recognize.

Message 8 of 9 (733 Views)
Contributor

Yesterday I found a voicemail on my phone from an AT&T engineer. Guess my email to the CEO finally reached someone. Only took 9 days. Of course, calling isn't helping much since my phone works about 10 minutes a day. He could have emailed like I asked. Tomorrow I'll be in Taos, where I'll have service, though the towers in Taos Ski Valley have been in terrible shape since November. Time to find a different provider?
Message 9 of 9 (731 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.