Helpful Links

Why is AT&T so Expensive

Teacher

Why is AT&T so Expensive

So I have been a customer now for about ten years, and I usually jump on the upgrade, and the two year contract just because I have always liked AT&T, but looking at my plan I see what I am being charged for, and the expense is just outrageous. From the data plan which can be as much to 45 dollars, the messaging plan with is 20 dollars, and then a tethering plan for 60 dollars, that is just insane, when with the other companies out there you can get all of this round into one plan, and for almost three times less the price. 

It's just really insane, when my wife who is with another company has all the things I have, and she has three phones on her plan, and it's barely a little more than what I am paying. I think for the first time in ten years when this contract is up, I may actually be gone. 

Why is everything so high?

Message 1 of 31
Expert

Re: Why is AT&T so Expensive

thegame_45 wrote:

So I have been a customer now for about ten years, and I usually jump on the upgrade, and the two year contract just because I have always liked AT&T, but looking at my plan I see what I am being charged for, and the expense is just outrageous. From the data plan which can be as much to 45 dollars, the messaging plan with is 20 dollars, and then a tethering plan for 60 dollars, that is just insane, when with the other companies out there you can get all of this round into one plan, and for almost three times less the price. 

It's just really insane, when my wife who is with another company has all the things I have, and she has three phones on her plan, and it's barely a little more than what I am paying. I think for the first time in ten years when this contract is up, I may actually be gone. 

Why is everything so high?

not sure where you are getting your prices for data, the 45.00 plan includes tethering so there is no additional charge there. there is no seperate 45.00 data plan and a 60.00 tehtering plan for the same phone.

Verizon's costs are comperable and their data plans are more expensive - not including limited time promotions.

Message 2 of 31
Former Employee

You always get what you pay for. Those other "cheaper" carriers have less coverage or slower speeds or both. What good is a cheaper plan if your phone barely works?

Message 3 of 31
Professor

drumn_bass wrote:

You always get what you pay for. Those other "cheaper" carriers have less coverage or slower speeds or both. What good is a cheaper plan if your phone barely works?

This is definitely a situation where "your mileage may vary".  Location is a great part of the reception equation.  There are places where cheaper carriers can have reception at least as good as AT&T.

Since the OP has seen his wife's experience with reception, I doubt that he would talk about how much lower her service cost is in a positive way if her reception were poor.

I applaud AT&T for the service that I receive from them.  But when defending AT&T, it helps to be realistic.

Message 4 of 31
Master

I would agree that AT&T's post paid pricing is about the same as or pretty darn close to Verizon's. Unless your wife is using a smaller tier carrier such as MetroPCS, I would say that their prices are not comparable to AT&T's because AT&T is a top tier carrier and has more to offer.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 5 of 31
Employee

Cut out texting and use Google voice, that's what I do,$20 saved instantly
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 6 of 31
Guru

Nowadays att and vz are similar in price. They both can charge a premium when compared to other carriers since 1)they have broad nationwide networks, and 2) they have tons of customers.
Message 7 of 31
Former Employee

At the end, the larger the company is the more expensive it is to run. Larger network, more employees and stuff = Higher prices. Plus AT&T is filled with extras like rollover minutes and mobile to any mobile.

Message 8 of 31
Contributor

Ummm... my iPhone 5 with unlimited minutes, unlimited texting, and 5gigs data (not a lot of data if you're using personal hotspot) costs $150 a month, $139.99 is the official ATT price, but with taxes it's about $150 here in Boston, MA.  So not sure where YOU'RE getting your prices.  Maybe you accidentally type in wrong.com ...?  try att.com that's where the prices are listed.  It's a huge ripoff, but what can you do? The competition is essentially the same.  Our politicians totally screwed us in this category as well by allowing oligopaly and stifled competition.  Comcast internet?  $60/month  loooooooooooooooool

Message 9 of 31
Contributor

Increased costs due to increased size should be more than balanced out by the increased revenue, especially for economies of scale, lol

Message 10 of 31
Former Employee

Hey cholcobo3, did you know you can not get unlimited talk and text and 4GB of data for $110 before taxes or 6GB $125 before taxes? You should look into those Mobile Share plans, might save you some money.

d.

Message 11 of 31
Contributor

I don't kow about you but $150 a month for a phone is insane.

Message 12 of 31
Expert

dubc73 wrote:

I don't kow about you but $150 a month for a phone is insane.

depends on the bells and whilstles you choose.

Basic phone

39.95 - 450 minutes w/ rollover

20.00 - unlimited text

--------

59.95 total cost

even with taxes that comes no where near 150.00

Smartphone

39.95 - 450 minutes w/ rollover

30.00 - 3GB data

20.00 - unlimited text

--------

again even with taxes way less then 150.00

Smartphone Mobile Share (this would be the only one that even comes close to 150.00

70.00 - 4GB data, unmited voice, unlimited text

40.00 - smartphone

--------

still below 150.00 with taxes

Message 13 of 31
Highlighted

The larger the company, the LESS it generally costs per customer. If it didn't work that way the Walmart would be the most expensive store.

Message 14 of 31
Employee

I've come to find that AT&T is best for people who are often traveling, have a business, do pretty much everything (requiring data) on their phones, and/or need multiple lines on one account.

I used to have AT&T (and I'm actually considering coming back and joining a Family Plan soon).  And because I rarely traveled,  I found it easier and more convenient to just switch to one of those "low-cost providers".  
I personally have not had any problems with dropped calls, service, or defective phones. (And having a 6 year old who frequently plays with my phones, I'm impressed on how durable they are!) I pay just $50 a month for unlimited everything and no late fees or extra/overage charges...  Can't really complain about that.

Even though, in my experience, AT&T has been great (in both customer service and reception), it was just easier on my wallet to have a single line elsewhere.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 15 of 31
Share this topic
Announcements

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Have questions about International Plans? Get the answers on Wed. 10/25 at Hello World: International Plans, from 1-4pm ET / 10am-1pm PT!

Let us help you upgrade and activate your device!

Additional Support