Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 6, 2012
8:30:24 AM
View profile
Why is AT&T so Expensive

So I have been a customer now for about ten years, and I usually jump on the upgrade, and the two year contract just because I have always liked AT&T, but looking at my plan I see what I am being charged for, and the expense is just outrageous. From the data plan which can be as much to 45 dollars, the messaging plan with is 20 dollars, and then a tethering plan for 60 dollars, that is just insane, when with the other companies out there you can get all of this round into one plan, and for almost three times less the price. 

It's just really insane, when my wife who is with another company has all the things I have, and she has three phones on her plan, and it's barely a little more than what I am paying. I think for the first time in ten years when this contract is up, I may actually be gone. 

Why is everything so high?

So I have been a customer now for about ten years, and I usually jump on the upgrade, and the two year contract just because I have always liked AT&T, but looking at my plan I see what I am being charged for, and the expense is just outrageous. From the data plan which can be as much to 45 dollars, the messaging plan with is 20 dollars, and then a tethering plan for 60 dollars, that is just insane, when with the other companies out there you can get all of this round into one plan, and for almost three times less the price. 

It's just really insane, when my wife who is with another company has all the things I have, and she has three phones on her plan, and it's barely a little more than what I am paying. I think for the first time in ten years when this contract is up, I may actually be gone. 

Why is AT&T so Expensive

30 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(30)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 6, 2012 9:06:52 AM
(0)
Expert

thegame_45 wrote:

not sure where you are getting your prices for data, the 45.00 plan includes tethering so there is no additional charge there. there is no seperate 45.00 data plan and a 60.00 tehtering plan for the same phone.

Verizon's costs are comperable and their data plans are more expensive - not including limited time promotions.

thegame_45 wrote:

not sure where you are getting your prices for data, the 45.00 plan includes tethering so there is no additional charge there. there is no seperate 45.00 data plan and a 60.00 tehtering plan for the same phone.

Verizon's costs are comperable and their data plans are more expensive - not including limited time promotions.

Re: Why is AT&T so Expensive

2 of 31 (13,959 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 6, 2012 9:41:17 AM
(0)
Former Employee

You always get what you pay for. Those other "cheaper" carriers have less coverage or slower speeds or both. What good is a cheaper plan if your phone barely works?

You always get what you pay for. Those other "cheaper" carriers have less coverage or slower speeds or both. What good is a cheaper plan if your phone barely works?

3 of 31 (13,955 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 6, 2012 7:53:04 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

drumn_bass wrote:

This is definitely a situation where "your mileage may vary".  Location is a great part of the reception equation.  There are places where cheaper carriers can have reception at least as good as AT&T.

Since the OP has seen his wife's experience with reception, I doubt that he would talk about how much lower her service cost is in a positive way if her reception were poor.

I applaud AT&T for the service that I receive from them.  But when defending AT&T, it helps to be realistic.

drumn_bass wrote:

This is definitely a situation where "your mileage may vary".  Location is a great part of the reception equation.  There are places where cheaper carriers can have reception at least as good as AT&T.

Since the OP has seen his wife's experience with reception, I doubt that he would talk about how much lower her service cost is in a positive way if her reception were poor.

I applaud AT&T for the service that I receive from them.  But when defending AT&T, it helps to be realistic.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 31 (13,926 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 6, 2012 8:13:29 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
I would agree that AT&T's post paid pricing is about the same as or pretty darn close to Verizon's. Unless your wife is using a smaller tier carrier such as MetroPCS, I would say that their prices are not comparable to AT&T's because AT&T is a top tier carrier and has more to offer.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

I would agree that AT&T's post paid pricing is about the same as or pretty darn close to Verizon's. Unless your wife is using a smaller tier carrier such as MetroPCS, I would say that their prices are not comparable to AT&T's because AT&T is a top tier carrier and has more to offer.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 31 (13,919 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 6, 2012 11:04:23 PM
(0)
Employee
Cut out texting and use Google voice, that's what I do,$20 saved instantly
Cut out texting and use Google voice, that's what I do,$20 saved instantly
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

6 of 31 (13,911 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 9, 2012 7:04:00 AM
(0)
Guru
Nowadays att and vz are similar in price. They both can charge a premium when compared to other carriers since 1)they have broad nationwide networks, and 2) they have tons of customers.
Nowadays att and vz are similar in price. They both can charge a premium when compared to other carriers since 1)they have broad nationwide networks, and 2) they have tons of customers.

7 of 31 (13,863 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 9, 2012 8:08:21 AM
(0)
Former Employee

At the end, the larger the company is the more expensive it is to run. Larger network, more employees and stuff = Higher prices. Plus AT&T is filled with extras like rollover minutes and mobile to any mobile.

At the end, the larger the company is the more expensive it is to run. Larger network, more employees and stuff = Higher prices. Plus AT&T is filled with extras like rollover minutes and mobile to any mobile.

8 of 31 (13,857 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 13, 2013 2:01:32 AM
(0)
Contributor

Ummm... my iPhone 5 with unlimited minutes, unlimited texting, and 5gigs data (not a lot of data if you're using personal hotspot) costs $150 a month, $139.99 is the official ATT price, but with taxes it's about $150 here in Boston, MA.  So not sure where YOU'RE getting your prices.  Maybe you accidentally type in wrong.com ...?  try att.com that's where the prices are listed.  It's a huge ripoff, but what can you do? The competition is essentially the same.  Our politicians totally screwed us in this category as well by allowing oligopaly and stifled competition.  Comcast internet?  $60/month  loooooooooooooooool

Ummm... my iPhone 5 with unlimited minutes, unlimited texting, and 5gigs data (not a lot of data if you're using personal hotspot) costs $150 a month, $139.99 is the official ATT price, but with taxes it's about $150 here in Boston, MA.  So not sure where YOU'RE getting your prices.  Maybe you accidentally type in wrong.com ...?  try att.com that's where the prices are listed.  It's a huge ripoff, but what can you do? The competition is essentially the same.  Our politicians totally screwed us in this category as well by allowing oligopaly and stifled competition.  Comcast internet?  $60/month  loooooooooooooooool

9 of 31 (11,173 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 13, 2013 2:03:09 AM
(0)
Contributor

Increased costs due to increased size should be more than balanced out by the increased revenue, especially for economies of scale, lol

Increased costs due to increased size should be more than balanced out by the increased revenue, especially for economies of scale, lol

10 of 31 (11,171 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 13, 2013 5:07:00 PM
(0)
Former Employee

Hey cholcobo3, did you know you can not get unlimited talk and text and 4GB of data for $110 before taxes or 6GB $125 before taxes? You should look into those Mobile Share plans, might save you some money.

d.

Hey cholcobo3, did you know you can not get unlimited talk and text and 4GB of data for $110 before taxes or 6GB $125 before taxes? You should look into those Mobile Share plans, might save you some money.

d.

11 of 31 (11,108 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 22, 2013 4:30:00 PM
(0)
Contributor

I don't kow about you but $150 a month for a phone is insane.

12 of 31 (6,937 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 22, 2013 6:07:42 PM
(0)
Expert

dubc73 wrote:

depends on the bells and whilstles you choose.

Basic phone

39.95 - 450 minutes w/ rollover

20.00 - unlimited text

--------

59.95 total cost

even with taxes that comes no where near 150.00

Smartphone

30.00 - 3GB data

20.00 - unlimited text

--------

again even with taxes way less then 150.00

Smartphone Mobile Share (this would be the only one that even comes close to 150.00

70.00 - 4GB data, unmited voice, unlimited text

40.00 - smartphone

--------

still below 150.00 with taxes

dubc73 wrote:

depends on the bells and whilstles you choose.

Basic phone

20.00 - unlimited text

--------

59.95 total cost

even with taxes that comes no where near 150.00

Smartphone

30.00 - 3GB data

20.00 - unlimited text

--------

again even with taxes way less then 150.00

Smartphone Mobile Share (this would be the only one that even comes close to 150.00

70.00 - 4GB data, unmited voice, unlimited text

40.00 - smartphone

--------

still below 150.00 with taxes

13 of 31 (6,914 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2013 4:15:52 AM
(0)
Guru

The larger the company, the LESS it generally costs per customer. If it didn't work that way the Walmart would be the most expensive store.

The larger the company, the LESS it generally costs per customer. If it didn't work that way the Walmart would be the most expensive store.

14 of 31 (6,864 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 25, 2013 10:54:03 AM
(0)
Employee

I've come to find that AT&T is best for people who are often traveling, have a business, do pretty much everything (requiring data) on their phones, and/or need multiple lines on one account.

I used to have AT&T (and I'm actually considering coming back and joining a Family Plan soon).  And because I rarely traveled,  I found it easier and more convenient to just switch to one of those "low-cost providers".  
I personally have not had any problems with dropped calls, service, or defective phones. (And having a 6 year old who frequently plays with my phones, I'm impressed on how durable they are!) I pay just $50 a month for unlimited everything and no late fees or extra/overage charges...  Can't really complain about that.

Even though, in my experience, AT&T has been great (in both customer service and reception), it was just easier on my wallet to have a single line elsewhere.

I've come to find that AT&T is best for people who are often traveling, have a business, do pretty much everything (requiring data) on their phones, and/or need multiple lines on one account.

I used to have AT&T (and I'm actually considering coming back and joining a Family Plan soon).  And because I rarely traveled,  I found it easier and more convenient to just switch to one of those "low-cost providers".  
I personally have not had any problems with dropped calls, service, or defective phones. (And having a 6 year old who frequently plays with my phones, I'm impressed on how durable they are!) I pay just $50 a month for unlimited everything and no late fees or extra/overage charges...  Can't really complain about that.

Even though, in my experience, AT&T has been great (in both customer service and reception), it was just easier on my wallet to have a single line elsewhere.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

15 of 31 (6,703 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 25, 2013 11:32:26 AM
(0)
Expert

harryspar wrote:

you are comparing a business with a fixed overhead (walmart) to a carrier that has variable costs and a lot larger expansion investment and operational cost. Outside of data centers wally world does not need to build in redunancy and high level security to their stores. Wally worlds customer base is a lot larger then a carriers and their overhead is a lot less. Most cell towers cost between $75,000 and $200,000 depending on where it is located. The average tower cost is between $100,000 to $150,000 and could take years to get zoning approval and the attention of a carrier.  The cell tower lease rates could gross between $18,000 to $90,000 per year depending on the number of carriers who piggyback on the tower location, rememebr this cost also does not include utilites that are needed, willing to be that att has a lot more towers through out the US with these costs then wally world has outlets. Zoning law are a lot tighter on towers then they are on wally worlds being built. Wally world can get a residential area rezoned to allow commercial outlets compared to the laws that govern cellular tower placement that do not allow towers at all in areas that are zoned residential.

Customer base is a lot different between the two examples, wally world pretty much has the same customer base coming in almost every week to spedn additional funds for groceries and other sunderies that they sell. A carrier has a small monthly reoccurring income from their customer base, where as a wally world customer with a family of 4 can easily spend 200 dollars a week for groceries an other required sunderies while a cellular customers will normally spend a lot less per month then

harryspar wrote:

you are comparing a business with a fixed overhead (walmart) to a carrier that has variable costs and a lot larger expansion investment and operational cost. Outside of data centers wally world does not need to build in redunancy and high level security to their stores. Wally worlds customer base is a lot larger then a carriers and their overhead is a lot less. Most cell towers cost between $75,000 and $200,000 depending on where it is located. The average tower cost is between $100,000 to $150,000 and could take years to get zoning approval and the attention of a carrier.  The cell tower lease rates could gross between $18,000 to $90,000 per year depending on the number of carriers who piggyback on the tower location, rememebr this cost also does not include utilites that are needed, willing to be that att has a lot more towers through out the US with these costs then wally world has outlets. Zoning law are a lot tighter on towers then they are on wally worlds being built. Wally world can get a residential area rezoned to allow commercial outlets compared to the laws that govern cellular tower placement that do not allow towers at all in areas that are zoned residential.

Customer base is a lot different between the two examples, wally world pretty much has the same customer base coming in almost every week to spedn additional funds for groceries and other sunderies that they sell. A carrier has a small monthly reoccurring income from their customer base, where as a wally world customer with a family of 4 can easily spend 200 dollars a week for groceries an other required sunderies while a cellular customers will normally spend a lot less per month then

16 of 31 (6,697 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2013 9:55:31 AM
(0)
Contributor

I believe they want to make the money back and more from the free phone for signing the 2-year contract. 

I believe they want to make the money back and more from the free phone for signing the 2-year contract. 

17 of 31 (5,416 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 7, 2016 2:53:35 PM
(0)
Tutor

I agree. AT&T is getting out of line on their costs. They used to either give you a phone or have you pay a small upfront cost anf the balance was amortized over the two year plan. Now they make you pay it all upfront OR pay a monthly charge for 30 months and the monthly paymeny plan cost is still the same. It's not reduced. For instance if I got a phone for $99 before and my plan was $100 within that $100 price I was paying a monthly cost for the phone. It was hidden. Now they want you to pay that $100 PLUS a monthly cost for the phone. If they want me to pay $20/month for the phone for 30 months then reduce my plan by $20. Right now I will not upgrade because it will cost me $44 more per month. They are crazy. My Samsung S4 works just fine and my plan for 2 phones and two tablets plus taxes is $177.

I agree. AT&T is getting out of line on their costs. They used to either give you a phone or have you pay a small upfront cost anf the balance was amortized over the two year plan. Now they make you pay it all upfront OR pay a monthly charge for 30 months and the monthly paymeny plan cost is still the same. It's not reduced. For instance if I got a phone for $99 before and my plan was $100 within that $100 price I was paying a monthly cost for the phone. It was hidden. Now they want you to pay that $100 PLUS a monthly cost for the phone. If they want me to pay $20/month for the phone for 30 months then reduce my plan by $20. Right now I will not upgrade because it will cost me $44 more per month. They are crazy. My Samsung S4 works just fine and my plan for 2 phones and two tablets plus taxes is $177.

18 of 31 (717 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 7, 2016 2:57:09 PM
(0)
Tutor

I am paying $177 for 2 phones and two tablets with unlimited everything.

I am paying $177 for 2 phones and two tablets with unlimited everything.

19 of 31 (714 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 7, 2016 3:07:14 PM
(0)
Guru
Edited by lcalle on May 8, 2016 at 7:27:33 AM

@mroso45

The way you describe it, it sounds like ATT is doing now what Verizon did shortly after I became a rep for them in 2011.  Instead of having everything, or almost everything, bundled into the cost of the plan; i. e.: plan cost, line access cost, a portion of the device cost, they started breaking everything down and listing it separately.  So, instead of just seeing one plan cost, customers would see a plan cost, plus the "line access charge."  This perplexed a lot of customers then, and it still is now, it seems.  I had no clue back then that this was the way carriers would be going with the itemization of charges on their bills.  

@mroso45

The way you describe it, it sounds like ATT is doing now what Verizon did shortly after I became a rep for them in 2011.  Instead of having everything, or almost everything, bundled into the cost of the plan; i. e.: plan cost, line access cost, a portion of the device cost, they started breaking everything down and listing it separately.  So, instead of just seeing one plan cost, customers would see a plan cost, plus the "line access charge."  This perplexed a lot of customers then, and it still is now, it seems.  I had no clue back then that this was the way carriers would be going with the itemization of charges on their bills.  

[ Edited ]
20 of 31 (707 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 7, 2016 3:49:02 PM
(0)
Teacher

I think that owning a smart phone or more  than one is rather expensive.I have two adult kids that cannot unfortuneatley  seem to pay for their own phone and I want to be able to keep in touch with them so I feel they have me "over the barrel."  When I look at my phone bill and see all the fees tacked on to it it is incredible how much that comes to. When I bought my first iphone data was included. Then a few years later I had to pay for data so I chose unlimited. The other 3 phones on the account I kept to a minimum. My husband has the minimum and he rarely goes over because he is fed up with his smart phone and uses it as little as possible, but he has no problem sticking to the minimimum data of 200mb/mo unless he happens to go out of town. When  my son went on a trip a few years ago out of the country I upped his plan to 2 gigs. He usually doesn't go over. My daughter always goes over. We have talked about this many times.. she says she shuts off uneeded apps, but she still goes over. It used to be once a month now it is twice a month.  So I tried to up her data plan and was told I couldn't b/c I'd have to sign up for a new contract which I don't want because I won't give up my unlimited data even though I don't use that much. Why is that you ask? It is because  I hate being micromanaged in my life and having what I have makes it easier and I don't have to worry about it and check all the time to see what my data is doing.  I also keep hoping my two children will be able to get off my plan, but that so far hasn't happened. My daughter's phone was old and broken  and she just bought a newer iphone thru ATT.. So I'm stuck again. The least ATT could do is let me up her data amount.  We are almost in retirement now and these phone expenses are pricey. Wouldn't it be nice if ATT had a senior discount? 

I think that owning a smart phone or more  than one is rather expensive.I have two adult kids that cannot unfortuneatley  seem to pay for their own phone and I want to be able to keep in touch with them so I feel they have me "over the barrel."  When I look at my phone bill and see all the fees tacked on to it it is incredible how much that comes to. When I bought my first iphone data was included. Then a few years later I had to pay for data so I chose unlimited. The other 3 phones on the account I kept to a minimum. My husband has the minimum and he rarely goes over because he is fed up with his smart phone and uses it as little as possible, but he has no problem sticking to the minimimum data of 200mb/mo unless he happens to go out of town. When  my son went on a trip a few years ago out of the country I upped his plan to 2 gigs. He usually doesn't go over. My daughter always goes over. We have talked about this many times.. she says she shuts off uneeded apps, but she still goes over. It used to be once a month now it is twice a month.  So I tried to up her data plan and was told I couldn't b/c I'd have to sign up for a new contract which I don't want because I won't give up my unlimited data even though I don't use that much. Why is that you ask? It is because  I hate being micromanaged in my life and having what I have makes it easier and I don't have to worry about it and check all the time to see what my data is doing.  I also keep hoping my two children will be able to get off my plan, but that so far hasn't happened. My daughter's phone was old and broken  and she just bought a newer iphone thru ATT.. So I'm stuck again. The least ATT could do is let me up her data amount.  We are almost in retirement now and these phone expenses are pricey. Wouldn't it be nice if ATT had a senior discount? 

21 of 31 (692 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 7, 2016 3:58:42 PM
(0)
Teacher

PS I forgot to mention my last month's total bill was over $289 for the four accounts. ATT keeps telling me if I change to a  new family  policy ( I am on month to month now) We could share 10 gigs of data, etc. But as I said I don't want to worry about my data. So far this month I've only used 708 mb of data and I even watched TV  one evening on my phone when I went out of town but the hotel had wifi. But what worries me is that with the other contracts, ATT could change its policy anytime after the contract ends. Right now ATT keeps its grandfathered promise.  We also have unlimited texting which we do a lot in our family. That is how  we communicate these days. 

If I am a passenger in a car and want to look up something on the internet or play some games I just don't want to worry about how much data I am using

PS I forgot to mention my last month's total bill was over $289 for the four accounts. ATT keeps telling me if I change to a  new family  policy ( I am on month to month now) We could share 10 gigs of data, etc. But as I said I don't want to worry about my data. So far this month I've only used 708 mb of data and I even watched TV  one evening on my phone when I went out of town but the hotel had wifi. But what worries me is that with the other contracts, ATT could change its policy anytime after the contract ends. Right now ATT keeps its grandfathered promise.  We also have unlimited texting which we do a lot in our family. That is how  we communicate these days. 

If I am a passenger in a car and want to look up something on the internet or play some games I just don't want to worry about how much data I am using

22 of 31 (686 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 7, 2016 4:04:13 PM
(0)
Contributor
It's actually obvious. Corporations are constantly looking for ways to extort more money from customers. AT&T is exceptionally good at this, having perhaps the most difficult monthly bill to decipher. Obscure taxes and hidden charges, most of which are bogus, force most people to give up trying to figure it out and just fork over their cash. I, too, am looking for a way out.
It's actually obvious. Corporations are constantly looking for ways to extort more money from customers. AT&T is exceptionally good at this, having perhaps the most difficult monthly bill to decipher. Obscure taxes and hidden charges, most of which are bogus, force most people to give up trying to figure it out and just fork over their cash. I, too, am looking for a way out.

23 of 31 (683 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 7, 2016 4:06:19 PM
(0)
Employee

If you're on an older plan that doesn't offer a discount when buying a phone on AT&T Next it's not the carrier's fault those discounts aren't being taken advantage of.

The days of the subsidized cell phone are over. Look around the industry and see who else does 2 year contracts...no one. A 600-700 dollar phone for 99 or 199 isn't happening because no one can maintain that business model. So the hardware cost and service have been un-merged.

On my Mobile Share Value 15GB plan I get a 25 dollar a month discount, per line, for not being in a contract. So instead of paying $40 per line it's $15 and all my phones are less than $25 on a Next payment...making it cheaper than contract. Grandfathered plans are still being honored. You can keep it as long as you wish but nothing about that guaranteed a discounted phone every 2 years.

If you're on an older plan that doesn't offer a discount when buying a phone on AT&T Next it's not the carrier's fault those discounts aren't being taken advantage of.

The days of the subsidized cell phone are over. Look around the industry and see who else does 2 year contracts...no one. A 600-700 dollar phone for 99 or 199 isn't happening because no one can maintain that business model. So the hardware cost and service have been un-merged.

On my Mobile Share Value 15GB plan I get a 25 dollar a month discount, per line, for not being in a contract. So instead of paying $40 per line it's $15 and all my phones are less than $25 on a Next payment...making it cheaper than contract. Grandfathered plans are still being honored. You can keep it as long as you wish but nothing about that guaranteed a discounted phone every 2 years.

24 of 31 (682 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 7, 2016 7:26:58 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

itasarah wrote:

I think that owning a smart phone or more  than one is rather expensive.I have two adult kids that cannot unfortuneatley  seem to pay for their own phone and I want to be able to keep in touch with them so I feel they have me "over the barrel."  

If their option is your hand me down phone, or a flip phone, you can still keep in touch 

When I look at my phone bill and see all the fees tacked on to it it is incredible how much that comes to. When I bought my first iphone data was included. Then a few years later I had to pay for data so I chose unlimited. The other 3 phones on the account I kept to a minimum. My husband has the minimum and he rarely goes over because he is fed up with his smart phone and uses it as little as possible, but he has no problem sticking to the minimimum data of 200mb/mo unless he happens to go out of town. When  my son went on a trip a few years ago out of the country I upped his plan to 2 gigs. He usually doesn't go over. My daughter always goes over. We have talked about this many times.. she says she shuts off uneeded apps, but she still goes over. It used to be once a month now it is twice a month.  So I tried to up her data plan and was told I couldn't b/c I'd have to sign up for a new contract which I don't want because I won't give up my unlimited data even though I don't use that much. Why is that you ask? It is because  I hate being micromanaged in my life and having what I have makes it easier and I don't have to worry about it and check all the time to see what my data is doing.

You can keep your unlimited data, but put the husband and kids on a shared plan.  After all your paying for 2 GBs for husband, but he isn't  using it.  It can all be on one bill.  Currently the shared data plan is $100 for 15 GBs. (No longer 10 GBs)

I also keep hoping my two children will be able to get off my plan, but that so far hasn't happened. My daughter's phone was old and broken  and she just bought a newer iphone thru ATT.. So I'm stuck again.

No, you're not stuck unless you choose to be.   Take her off the account as an authorized user.  My kids, ex and parents are on my account, none have authorization, they can only get new phones if they pay full price.  They also pay each month for their part of the bill.   

Time to boot the kids off.  Have them fill out the transfer of billing responsibility

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/wireless/KM1045265

And get them off your account.

FYI, since it's your account, you can suspend lines or blacklist phones if you need to.  One parent to another, this is not helping them.  At this age, they should be helping you.

The least ATT could do is let me up her data amount.  We are almost in retirement now and these phone expenses are pricey. Wouldn't it be nice if ATT had a senior discount? 

Att does have AARP discount of 10% off the data plan.  Contact support to get the discount.  

Filed under "self inflicted wounds". 

We are customers too. Our answers are based on experience, knowledge and reading the terms of service and are honest, but not always appreciated. Please mark the correct answer. Please do not post personal information

itasarah wrote:

I think that owning a smart phone or more  than one is rather expensive.I have two adult kids that cannot unfortuneatley  seem to pay for their own phone and I want to be able to keep in touch with them so I feel they have me "over the barrel."  

If their option is your hand me down phone, or a flip phone, you can still keep in touch 

When I look at my phone bill and see all the fees tacked on to it it is incredible how much that comes to. When I bought my first iphone data was included. Then a few years later I had to pay for data so I chose unlimited. The other 3 phones on the account I kept to a minimum. My husband has the minimum and he rarely goes over because he is fed up with his smart phone and uses it as little as possible, but he has no problem sticking to the minimimum data of 200mb/mo unless he happens to go out of town. When  my son went on a trip a few years ago out of the country I upped his plan to 2 gigs. He usually doesn't go over. My daughter always goes over. We have talked about this many times.. she says she shuts off uneeded apps, but she still goes over. It used to be once a month now it is twice a month.  So I tried to up her data plan and was told I couldn't b/c I'd have to sign up for a new contract which I don't want because I won't give up my unlimited data even though I don't use that much. Why is that you ask? It is because  I hate being micromanaged in my life and having what I have makes it easier and I don't have to worry about it and check all the time to see what my data is doing.

You can keep your unlimited data, but put the husband and kids on a shared plan.  After all your paying for 2 GBs for husband, but he isn't  using it.  It can all be on one bill.  Currently the shared data plan is $100 for 15 GBs. (No longer 10 GBs)

I also keep hoping my two children will be able to get off my plan, but that so far hasn't happened. My daughter's phone was old and broken  and she just bought a newer iphone thru ATT.. So I'm stuck again.

No, you're not stuck unless you choose to be.   Take her off the account as an authorized user.  My kids, ex and parents are on my account, none have authorization, they can only get new phones if they pay full price.  They also pay each month for their part of the bill.   

Time to boot the kids off.  Have them fill out the transfer of billing responsibility

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/wireless/KM1045265

And get them off your account.

FYI, since it's your account, you can suspend lines or blacklist phones if you need to.  One parent to another, this is not helping them.  At this age, they should be helping you.

The least ATT could do is let me up her data amount.  We are almost in retirement now and these phone expenses are pricey. Wouldn't it be nice if ATT had a senior discount? 

Att does have AARP discount of 10% off the data plan.  Contact support to get the discount.  

Filed under "self inflicted wounds". 

We are customers too. Our answers are based on experience, knowledge and reading the terms of service and are honest, but not always appreciated. Please mark the correct answer. Please do not post personal information
We are customers too. Our answers are based on experience, knowledge and reading the terms of service and are honest, but not always appreciated. Please mark the correct answer. Please do not post personal information.

25 of 31 (647 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 9, 2016 2:01:23 PM
(0)
Teacher
totally agree with you!

totally agree with you!

Re: Why is AT

26 of 31 (626 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 9, 2016 2:05:48 PM
(0)
Teacher

I am not trying to buy a new phone. My daughter did, but it is my "contract" and I don't want to change. 

I am not trying to buy a new phone. My daughter did, but it is my "contract" and I don't want to change. 

27 of 31 (615 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 9, 2016 2:47:02 PM
(0)
Teacher

Actually when I think about it,  ATT and other companies  like the medical insurance business  and pharmacological companies are all very NON TRANSPARENT. I'd like to know how ATT came up with its pricing. I'd like to know about the fees. Other than state and fed taxes what are the other fees for and how were that arrived at?

What does it cost ATT to run my phone? How many employees does it take for me to make a phone call or use an app or use a cell tower. When I am within WIFI how much then does it cost for me  then to use my phone. How did ATT come up with their prices? Does ATT come up with its plans so that somehow the shareholders will be happy? I might have a different opinion if I saw how the costs I pay are arrived at and how the company sets its fees or is it mostly based on competition, but then I'd have to ask the same questions of the competitors. What is the total profit or loss of ATT? Does that include the cost of running the ATT stores? Hiring  customer service reps at the stores or for customer service, is that part of the cost? 

So the more people signed up with ATT the better? So if ATT has a lot of customers is it ever enough? Or if ATT has enough customers is the cost ever lowered? Just asking...

Actually when I think about it,  ATT and other companies  like the medical insurance business  and pharmacological companies are all very NON TRANSPARENT. I'd like to know how ATT came up with its pricing. I'd like to know about the fees. Other than state and fed taxes what are the other fees for and how were that arrived at?

What does it cost ATT to run my phone? How many employees does it take for me to make a phone call or use an app or use a cell tower. When I am within WIFI how much then does it cost for me  then to use my phone. How did ATT come up with their prices? Does ATT come up with its plans so that somehow the shareholders will be happy? I might have a different opinion if I saw how the costs I pay are arrived at and how the company sets its fees or is it mostly based on competition, but then I'd have to ask the same questions of the competitors. What is the total profit or loss of ATT? Does that include the cost of running the ATT stores? Hiring  customer service reps at the stores or for customer service, is that part of the cost? 

So the more people signed up with ATT the better? So if ATT has a lot of customers is it ever enough? Or if ATT has enough customers is the cost ever lowered? Just asking...

28 of 31 (607 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 9, 2016 2:51:41 PM
(0)
Teacher

I am not trying to buy a new phone. My daughter happened to get one at ATT, but it is my "contract" and I don't want to change. I don't usually buy my phone from ATT anyway. Last one I bought about a year and a half ago I got directly from Apple.

I am not trying to buy a new phone. My daughter happened to get one at ATT, but it is my "contract" and I don't want to change. I don't usually buy my phone from ATT anyway. Last one I bought about a year and a half ago I got directly from Apple.

29 of 31 (604 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 9, 2016 2:54:39 PM
(0)
Teacher

Actually when I think about it,  ATT and other companies  like the medical insurance business  and pharmacological companies are all very NON TRANSPARENT. I'd like to know how ATT came up with its pricing. I'd like to know about the fees. Other than state and fed taxes what are the other fees for and how were that arrived at? And how mandated are they? 

Actually when I think about it,  ATT and other companies  like the medical insurance business  and pharmacological companies are all very NON TRANSPARENT. I'd like to know how ATT came up with its pricing. I'd like to know about the fees. Other than state and fed taxes what are the other fees for and how were that arrived at? And how mandated are they? 

30 of 31 (602 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments