Why does At&t charge an additional fee for "Monthly device access cost"

Contributor

Why does At&t charge an additional fee for "Monthly device access cost"

Hello Everyone, My contract with At&t is up shortly and I am tempted to move to T-Mobile, but first I need to know why At&t charges an additional "Monthly device access cost" of $40, on top of the all-in-one data/voice/text plan?!?! I notice that T-Mobile charges a flat amount, for example their unlimted plan is $70 and that is it, no other charges since I do have my own phone, but At&t adds additional $40 smart phone fee, even if there is no contract. Does anyone know why?? Is this At&t's way of squeezing more money out of customers??

Message 1 of 5 (1,700 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: Why does At&t charge an additional fee for "Monthly device access cost"

reddragon0000 wrote:

Hello Everyone, My contract with At&t is up shortly and I am tempted to move to T-Mobile, but first I need to know why At&t charges an additional "Monthly device access cost" of $40, on top of the all-in-one data/voice/text plan?!?! I notice that T-Mobile charges a flat amount, for example their unlimted plan is $70 and that is it, no other charges since I do have my own phone, but At&t adds additional $40 smart phone fee, even if there is no contract. Does anyone know why?? Is this At&t's way of squeezing more money out of customers??

AT&T will give you $15 back per month making it a $25/mo plan if you don't buy your phone from them. As to why — that's their pricing model. See http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans.html for details.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 5 (1,655 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]

My understanding is that it's a fee for the line itself/mobile number. But with the Mobile Share Value Plan -unlimited talk and text- you can save $15 per device when your device is off-contract, you bring your own device, or are if you're paying for the device with the AT&T Next installment program.

So lets calculate how much it would be for, say, one device under the Mobile Share Value Plan (MSVP) 300 MB of Data:

$20.00 (300 MB of data MSVP) + $40 ( each smartphone device) - $15 (each device that's off-contract, with the At&t Next program, or if you own the device already). The total would come out to $45.00 not including taxes, surcharges, features, or any discounts that you may have on your account.

Keep in mind that At&t has the nation's fastest 4G/LTE network. Other carriers such as - and especially - T-Mobile have very poor coverage and their Internet speeds throttle to 2Gs in most areas. In a nutshell, you get for what you pay for: great, fast service.

Cat Indifferent

Message 3 of 5 (1,652 Views)
Employee

Hi reddragon0000

The Mobile Share Value plans are broken down by the bucket of data you want + the cost of the device you have. Our Mobile Share plans have different price points for different devices ($20 for basic, $25 for Smart off contract or on Next, $40 for Smartphones on a two year plan). Additioanlly with IRU discounting (employer discounts) you might get even more off your bill.

You also have our prepaid plans as well if you are out of contract that would also be a flat rate for the smartphones.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 5 (1,582 Views)
Highlighted
Employee

[ Edited ]

Hey,

There's the cost of the plan, ie the bucket of data.

Then there's a flat rate to get unlimited talk/text and share out of the data bucket.

It's figured into the cost of the bucket, www.myattrpc.com

Unlim talk text basic phone 300mb $40 -1 line

Unlim talk text no contract smartphone 300mb $45- 1 line

Unlim talk text contract smartphone 300mb $60- 1 line

Why does it matter if AT&T just quoted those prices, or broke them down?

I think they do it, so even the one line can have more options. It doesnt have to be a flat $70

-Alex

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 5 of 5 (1,536 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.