Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 4, 2014
3:26:40 PM
View profile
Why do you require a deposit to reactivate an already paid for wi-fi device?
I was recently at one of the AT&T stores in Grand Rapids, Michigan, where I wanted to reactivate a wi-fi device that had already been paid for and used for a few years. They wanted a $500 deposit for no-contract, pay as you go because my credit is poor. I don't understand how that effects me paying $60/month on a device they've already thoroughly profited from. I don't think I'll ever use AT&T again.
I was recently at one of the AT&T stores in Grand Rapids, Michigan, where I wanted to reactivate a wi-fi device that had already been paid for and used for a few years. They wanted a $500 deposit for no-contract, pay as you go because my credit is poor. I don't understand how that effects me paying $60/month on a device they've already thoroughly profited from. I don't think I'll ever use AT&T again.

Why do you require a deposit to reactivate an already paid for wi-fi device?

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 5, 2014 9:54:16 AM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Jan 5, 2014 at 9:54:41 AM

inquisitivenun wrote:

ATT like other carriers run a credit report, that determines if a deposit is required or not

inquisitivenun wrote:

ATT like other carriers run a credit report, that determines if a deposit is required or not

Re: Why do you require a deposit to reactivate an already paid for wi-fi device?

[ Edited ]
2 of 7 (907 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 6, 2014 9:44:44 AM
(0)
Contributor
Again, why is a deposit needed on a device that's already been paid for and is only a no-contract?
Again, why is a deposit needed on a device that's already been paid for and is only a no-contract?

Re: Why do you require a deposit to reactivate an already paid for wi-fi device

3 of 7 (849 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 6, 2014 9:59:07 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
A deposit would be needed because it is dependent on your credit. While the device may be paid off and would be month to month, your creditworthiness is what determines if you need to pay a deposit. The deposit is returned to you after 12 months, providing you pay your bill on time etc.

In basic terms, postpaid plans require a credit run, whether that me for a subsidized or BYOD (bring your own device). If you don't want to pay a deposit, you could probably connect the device on prepaid?
~Sunshine Smiley Happy
A deposit would be needed because it is dependent on your credit. While the device may be paid off and would be month to month, your creditworthiness is what determines if you need to pay a deposit. The deposit is returned to you after 12 months, providing you pay your bill on time etc.

In basic terms, postpaid plans require a credit run, whether that me for a subsidized or BYOD (bring your own device). If you don't want to pay a deposit, you could probably connect the device on prepaid?
~Sunshine :)
- Sunshine :)
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Why do you require a deposit to reactivate an already paid for wi-fi device?

4 of 7 (845 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 6, 2014 12:14:18 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Evandela wrote:

inquisitivenun wrote:

If I haven't misread the OP that's exactly what the problem is. A deposit was asked for a no contract pay as you go service which doesn't make any sense to me either with a BYOD data-only device.

Evandela wrote:

inquisitivenun wrote:

If I haven't misread the OP that's exactly what the problem is. A deposit was asked for a no contract pay as you go service which doesn't make any sense to me either with a BYOD data-only device.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 7 (829 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 7, 2014 4:01:06 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
No contract doesn't necessarily point to prepaid but yes perhaps that is what they meant.

Mobile Share Value for example is no contract but is still postpaid. You could still get charged a deposit even if it's BYOD but again that is dependent of credit.
~Sunshine Smiley Happy
No contract doesn't necessarily point to prepaid but yes perhaps that is what they meant.

Mobile Share Value for example is no contract but is still postpaid. You could still get charged a deposit even if it's BYOD but again that is dependent of credit.
~Sunshine :)
- Sunshine :)

6 of 7 (773 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 8, 2014 12:08:45 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I took the "pay as you go" to mean prepaid as that's how AT&T refers to the GoPhone offering.

I took the "pay as you go" to mean prepaid as that's how AT&T refers to the GoPhone offering.

7 of 7 (729 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments