Ask a question

Reply
Posted Jul 29, 2013
4:11:07 PM
View profile
Where's The GDR2/Amber Update... Any Schedule?

Ok ATT, when is GDR2 going to be released for the Nokia 920 (and all the other phones).

 

-taylor

28,569 views
519 replies
(19) Me too
(19) Me too
Post reply
View all replies
(519)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2013 12:59:28 PM
0
(0)
Scholar
Edited by lylone on Aug 22, 2013 at 1:00:41 PM

Why does everyone think that all companies only outsource and pay minimum wage for their support? 

And I believe that the support people are not informed when there is an update looming, but if you call in about it a call is logged and the more incidents that are logged then mgmt should look at it.

 

I work in support for a major company....and trust me...  I don't make minimum wage and are often left out of the loop of things that we should be told about.

 

Don't assume....

Re: Where's The GDR2 Update... Any Schedule?

[ Edited ]
61 of 520 (4,853 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2013 1:14:19 PM
0
(0)
Professor

I just talked to a person at the office of the President at AT&T she advises they have the update and are testing it now

Re: Where's The GDR2 Update... Any Schedule?

62 of 520 (4,848 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2013 1:17:41 PM
0
(0)
Explorer

what i want to know is when will they be done testing it?

Re: Where's The GDR2 Update... Any Schedule?

63 of 520 (4,845 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2013 1:50:03 PM
0
(0)
Professor

She said she would call be back with a status update and I am confident she will in the past with win phone 7  they always called back with follow up

Re: Where's The GDR2 Update... Any Schedule?

64 of 520 (4,821 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2013 3:33:13 PM
0
(0)
Mentor

Take a look at the other regions and even Canada, you'll see that AT&T isn't the last carrier to release.

http://www.nokia.com/global/support/software-update/wp8-software-update/availability-in-north-america/

http://www.nokia.com/global/support/software-update/wp8-software-update/availability-in-europe/

 

If you really want to feel good, look at Latin America!

http://www.nokia.com/global/support/software-update/wp8-software-update/availability-in-latin-america/

 

In other words, don't get your undies in a bunch for a minor update. If this were the 8.1 release and AT&T was last to release it, I'd be sharpening my pitchfork and soaking my torch right now. This isn't the 8.1 release, its a minor update.

Re: Where's The GDR2 Update... Any Schedule?

65 of 520 (4,778 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2013 5:18:03 AM
0
(0)
Scholar

I think what Joan Lappin told Elop about AT&T is right. 

Re: Where's The GDR2 Update... Any Schedule?

66 of 520 (4,639 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2013 5:21:44 AM
0
(0)
ACE - Professor

schinchillaboy wrote:

what i want to know is when will they be done testing it?


You will know when they are done, becuase it will be available then.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Where's The GDR2 Update... Any Schedule?

67 of 520 (4,639 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2013 11:14:55 AM
0
(0)
Professor

She just called back the update will go out the end of September

Re: Where's The GDR2 Update... Any Schedule?

68 of 520 (4,509 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2013 2:17:04 PM
0
(0)
Teacher

Did you tell here that it isn't soon enough?  Tell them to get more testers because this is a bunch of bull squeeze.    Customers can't get email on their phones because it won't be compatible with lotus traveler until GDR2 gets pushed out.  Why are they so behind?  Verizon and everybody else has been able to push it out a lot sooner.

 

I thought AT&T was the "premeir windows phone" carrier!?

Re: Where's The GDR2 Update... Any Schedule?

69 of 520 (4,433 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2013 2:18:24 PM
0
(0)
Teacher
I refuse to believe they're that incompetent or care that little about their customers and Windows Phone to release an update a month after Rogers releases theirs for the same phone.

Re: Where's The GDR2 Update... Any Schedule?

70 of 520 (4,432 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2013 2:22:23 PM
0
(0)
Voyager

The end of september? So they're going to wait over a month after the update comes out?

 

If every other carrier in the US can get the update out already, why can't AT&T? Why are they so far behind?

Re: Where's The GDR2 Update... Any Schedule?

71 of 520 (4,423 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2013 4:46:05 PM
0
(0)
Voyager

End of September ... Wow, that's depressing especially since there doesn't seem to be any good reason (or any reason at all) for such a long delay for a relatively minor update. I wish there was at least greater transparency about what's going on since so many of us are longing for more out of the Windows Phone platform.

Re: Where's The GDR2 Update... Any Schedule?

72 of 520 (4,324 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2013 6:27:57 PM
0
(0)
ACE - Professor

krabago wrote:

End of September ... Wow, that's depressing especially since there doesn't seem to be any good reason (or any reason at all) for such a long delay for a relatively minor update. I wish there was at least greater transparency about what's going on since so many of us are longing for more out of the Windows Phone platform.


There's some nice stuff in GDR2, and even in Amber. And we don't know when it's going to be released from AT&T.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Where's The GDR2 Update... Any Schedule?

73 of 520 (4,289 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2013 7:16:17 PM
0
(0)
Mentor
They are pretty much losing me as a customer over this, especially if its end of September.

Re: Where's The GDR2 Update... Any Schedule?

74 of 520 (4,276 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 24, 2013 1:39:49 AM
0
(0)
Scholar
Just like I was waiting forever for the 7.8 update way back, now this is happening. I see a trend going on here...
Phones Owned (1999-Now): Nokia 5110, 3390, 3520, 6230, 6682, N72, 5800XM, Lumia 800, Lumia 900, Lumia 920 (Currently owned)

Re: Where's The GDR2 Update... Any Schedule?

75 of 520 (4,202 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 24, 2013 8:06:28 AM
0
(0)
Professor

Delays were happening well before you had that WP7.x device.

Re: Where's The GDR2 Update... Any Schedule?

76 of 520 (4,149 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 24, 2013 10:34:53 AM
0
(0)
Mentor

After almost 20 years working at a 'Major' software company and 'with' windows phone, I can tell you, yes, its eay to assume and just as easy to misunderstand.  MS produced GDR2.  It was ready in June.  The AT&T's of the world participated in the testing of GDR2.  When GDR2 was handed over to them, they engaged in readiness and deployment final testing.  Nokia created Amber, intandom with GDR2.  They deployed it a couple of weeks ago.  The AT&T's of the world are now in final deployment testing.  Some carriers adopt faster than others.  It does not mean their testing standard is lower or higher.  Maybe theyhad an exclusive, maybe not.  Maybe they have less phones,maybe not.  there is  a cause and effect for everything.  Hint hint...for Windows Phone to even have a chance to be successful in the future....Verizon and AT&T must be involved.  Hint Hint...play one against the other.  VzW now has a flagship phone from wp.  at&t now has....3.....but, guess what....hint hint....Lumia 925 arrives at AT&T in ...hint hint   Mid September.  Thats 4 WP's and 2 flagship phones.   Now can you guess why the deployment of GDR2 is the end of September. 

 

As I mentioned in a previous post....Follow the money.  The money uncovers the plan.  What Rodgers or Telstra does is of no concern for AT&T or Verizon.  Only the Money counts.  Verizon delivered early because they have the best 92x series phone AND the update.  Next month AT&T has 2 of the BEST 92x phones and the updates...Follow the money..... 

 

So, as someone mentioned earlier...the only way to impact this action....is to impact the money.  Populating message boards does not do it...unless it impacts the bottom line.  To enable change, there is only 1 voice...the wallet.  If you do not like AT&T policy, move somewhere else.  then you can have this exact same conversation over there....All carriers do this.....

Re: Where's The GDR2 Update... Any Schedule?

77 of 520 (4,073 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 24, 2013 11:32:47 PM
0
(0)
Scholar

My bets are until At&t release the Lumia 925

I love Chicago

Re: Where's The GDR2 Update... Any Schedule?

78 of 520 (3,919 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 25, 2013 1:05:35 AM
0
(0)
Scholar

Their holding back the update has NOTHING to do with testing it on the network.  If that were the case, I want someone to explain to me why they pushed HTC 8x the second it was available.  HTC is a horrible company with a reputation of awful support and Nokia is the world leader in Windows Phone with a very tight relationship with Microsoft.  Wouldn't you think the Nokia update would have gone out right away and HTC's would have gone through a 2 month testing phase?

 

I already explained why this is happening.  The HTC 8x is the flagship from HTC.  The Nokia Lumia 1020 is the flagship from Nokia.  The 920 is considered old and they don't care about customers who aren't using the latest and greatest.  

 

I recommend going to that infamous forums so you can download the unbranded developer ROM and never have to depend on AT&T again.  That's what I've done for a few phones already.  

 

-Mc

Re: Where's The GDR2 Update... Any Schedule?

79 of 520 (3,906 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 25, 2013 2:50:24 AM
0
(0)
Professor

alodar1 wrote:
Verizon delivered early because they have the best 92x series phone AND the update.  Next month AT&T has 2 of the BEST 92x phones and the updates...Follow the money..... 

 


Hint hint, AT&T has a proven track record for essentially dumping all support of previous flagship phones as soon as the new shiny "greatest thing ever" comes out. While Amber is taking a bit longer for us when compared to other major US carriers, it will (more than likely) come out...eventually. After that though, I don't expect to hear anything about any sort of official firmware upgrades.

 

You say follow the money? AT&T typically has people begging to upgrade as soon as they're allowed to, just like any other carrier. If you follow the bottom line as you suggest, you'll see that there's no money to be found in supporting recently antiquated flagships.

Re: Where's The GDR2 Update... Any Schedule?

80 of 520 (3,893 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 26, 2013 5:45:45 AM
0
(0)
Tutor
Could you tell me which forum are referring to, plz drop me a line at netshphere@gmail.com

thanks a lot

Re: Where's The GDR2 Update... Any Schedule?

81 of 520 (3,653 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 26, 2013 9:35:29 PM
0
(0)
Mentor

8x got its update "right away" because all HTC is providing is the base GDR2 update from MS, which has been out for months.  On the other hand, the Nokias are getting 2 updates:  the base GDR2 update from MS as well as Amber, which was programmed by Nokia.

 

GDR2:  FM, improved DataSense, and some bug fixes

Amber:  Glance, double-tap to unlock, etc.

 

Nokia released its package on 8-16.  I've waited far longer than 10 days for updates before, and I'm not quite willing to grab my pitchfork and storm the Bastille quite yet.

 

While I do agree witth the sentiment that AT&T sits on updates for far too long usually (e.g., my Titan had the vanishing keyboard bug until I replaced it because AT&T never released the fix), I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt for a little while longer because the Nokia patches are generally released.

 

As for the release date provided of 9/30, I'm not sure I really believe that.   That is a really long time.  My intitial impression is that they are "pulling a Scotty" and are providing an out-there date so that they can come in early.  I.E., the date the assistant provided is a "worst case" date because it is an unofficial one.

 

Also, waiting a little while isn't that crazy.  They are letting the other carriers be there guinea pigs for now.  Just because something is "tested" means that all the possible app combinations that people may have on their phones have been accounted for.  Allowing Amber to be "in the wild" for a short while allows for that.

Re: Where's The GDR2 Update... Any Schedule?

82 of 520 (3,339 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 27, 2013 5:23:41 AM
0
(0)
ACE - Professor

mindsynthetic wrote:
Could you tell me which forum are referring to, plz drop me a line at netshphere@gmail.com

thanks a lot

there are two forums that regularly cover windows phone - one is windows phone central, the other is xda developers. You can google those names to find actual links. Windows Phone Central usually will have the "non-geek" friendly step by step instructions digested from the geek infused madness that is posted on xda.

 

Unless your device is out of warranty, and you have no problems paying full price to replace it, or at least you understand that if you turn it into a paperweight you cannot expect AT&T or Nokia to help you in any way, you probably should not go that route. For example, on my old HTC Titan, I had no issues with going with a side-loaded 7.8 update - there was no risk because the phone was out of warranty, unsupported, and either going in the recycle bin or getting the update. My Lumia 920 still has three months of warranty, WILL get the GDR2/Amber update in AT MOST 4 weeks, most likely less than that, and otherwise works as is - so I'll wait for the offical update.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Where's The GDR2 Update... Any Schedule?

83 of 520 (3,264 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 27, 2013 9:30:15 AM
0
(0)
Tutor
Thanks for your reply, already flashed it, works fine without any problems. I'm not geeky, but that wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Re: Where's The GDR2 Update... Any Schedule?

84 of 520 (3,152 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 27, 2013 10:57:54 AM
0
(0)
ACE - Professor

mindsynthetic wrote:
Thanks for your reply, already flashed it, works fine without any problems. I'm not geeky, but that wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

In general they're not - but people really need to understand they are taking a very real risk of ending up with a several hundred dollar doorstop if something goes wrong, so no one here will suggest to anyone they go off and do this on a device which is actively supported by both AT&T and the manufacturer.

 

For the vast majority of folks, waiting the few days/weeks isn't going to hurt them as much as borking their device and ending up footing a bill for a new device.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Where's The GDR2 Update... Any Schedule?

85 of 520 (3,091 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 28, 2013 3:25:48 AM
0
(0)
Tutor

I'm a bit of a conspiracy theorist so my two cents has to do with Data Sense. If it works as well as I've heard, their bottom line may be impacted by it however small.

 

Admittedly this is speculation biased with my distaste for corporations and the combination of two updates sounds equally plausible.

 

Though to play my own devil's advocate, the similar Ookla service was not blocked by AT&T on iPhone soooo....

Re: Where's The GDR2 Update... Any Schedule?

86 of 520 (2,816 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 28, 2013 5:26:06 AM
0
(0)
ACE - Professor

DJKeens wrote:

I'm a bit of a conspiracy theorist so my two cents has to do with Data Sense. If it works as well as I've heard, their bottom line may be impacted by it however small.

 

Admittedly this is speculation biased with my distaste for corporations and the combination of two updates sounds equally plausible.

 

Though to play my own devil's advocate, the similar Ookla service was not blocked by AT&T on iPhone soooo....


They don't need to enable data sense, so that's not it. I've been an AT&T customer on a 2GB plan since the iPhone4 came out (2010) and I've not ever had a problem managing my usage to not go over using iPhones, Android phones, Windows 7 phones, or Windows 8 phones.

 

Nope, I think they're just slow Smiley Happy

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Where's The GDR2 Update... Any Schedule?

87 of 520 (2,795 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 28, 2013 11:18:14 AM
0
(0)
Tutor
I have just a 2 months left on my contract, after that I'm going back to Japan, since 920 doesn't support Japanese networks means nearly nothing to me if I brick it, beside they don't even have WP over there(unless you count 7.8). Its dominated by androids, and a small chunk by icrap. Att is probably one of the worst customer service providers in the US if not the world, never had such awful support from SoftBank

Re: Where's The GDR2 Update... Any Schedule?

88 of 520 (2,657 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 28, 2013 1:18:25 PM
0
(0)
Teacher

Other carriers are able to get their 920's tested and updates released. Why can't the "premier partner"?

 

http://www.wpcentral.com/windows-phone-ambergdr2-update-continues-roll-out-europe-still-no-sighting-att

Re: Where's The GDR2 Update... Any Schedule?

89 of 520 (2,578 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 28, 2013 2:26:51 PM
0
(0)
Scholar
So... They announced the 925 shipping on 9/11. Yep..having to make us loyal 920 users to wait until after that...

Re: Where's The GDR2 Update... Any Schedule?

90 of 520 (2,529 Views)
Share this post
Share this post