Wireless Forums

Posted Jul 29, 2013
4:11:07 PM
View profile
Where's The GDR2/Amber Update... Any Schedule?

Ok ATT, when is GDR2 going to be released for the Nokia 920 (and all the other phones).

-taylor

519 replies
(19) Me too
(19) Me too
Replies
(519)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 10, 2013 1:18:54 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

BucSox79 wrote:
They will not explain why we don't get Data Sense. If they admitted the real reason, they would look bad. They're dirtbags, plain and simple. All phone companies suck, but ATT is just worse.

Given the 1020 still doesn't have it, looks like AT&T isn't going to stop hiding it. So nope. Camera app is nice. Flip to silence is nice. Glance/tap to wake burn too much battery to use.

BucSox79 wrote:
They will not explain why we don't get Data Sense. If they admitted the real reason, they would look bad. They're dirtbags, plain and simple. All phone companies suck, but ATT is just worse.

Given the 1020 still doesn't have it, looks like AT&T isn't going to stop hiding it. So nope. Camera app is nice. Flip to silence is nice. Glance/tap to wake burn too much battery to use.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Where's The GDR2/Amber Update... Any Schedule?

481 of 520 (1,691 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 10, 2013 1:41:03 PM
(0)
Contributor
The gears are still spinning...pretty sure it bricked :smileysad:
The gears are still spinning...pretty sure it bricked :smileysad:

482 of 520 (1,658 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 10, 2013 2:02:20 PM
(0)
Teacher

Thank you, ATT! GDR2 & Amber loaded up in about 20 min.

Thank you, ATT! GDR2 & Amber loaded up in about 20 min.

483 of 520 (1,641 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 10, 2013 2:05:06 PM
(0)
Tutor
I had the same issue with my first and second 920. I'm on my third. Let it run till the battery dies then try to charge it. If it continues, your best bet will be to have att or Nokia replace your phone. All of your data will be lost
I had the same issue with my first and second 920. I'm on my third. Let it run till the battery dies then try to charge it. If it continues, your best bet will be to have att or Nokia replace your phone. All of your data will be lost

484 of 520 (1,636 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 10, 2013 2:06:08 PM
(0)
Explorer

All I'm seeing with Glance is the time, and it's so dim that I can barely make it out. I thought you were supposed to see notifications, battery charge, and ring setting as well?  The double tap to wake is nice, though.  You're thinking it uses too much battery?

All I'm seeing with Glance is the time, and it's so dim that I can barely make it out. I thought you were supposed to see notifications, battery charge, and ring setting as well?  The double tap to wake is nice, though.  You're thinking it uses too much battery?

485 of 520 (1,634 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 10, 2013 2:12:51 PM
(0)
Mentor

Wow it's actually happening?  So AT&T may not be the last after all.  Sucks about DataSense though.  Not a customer friendly move IMO.

Wow it's actually happening?  So AT&T may not be the last after all.  Sucks about DataSense though.  Not a customer friendly move IMO.

486 of 520 (1,624 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 10, 2013 2:18:30 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thank you ATT for FINALLY releasing the GDR2/Amber update.. I got it around 12:15 P.M. CST.   Long over due, but much appreciated.. Thanks for getting this released earlier than what we were expecting according to your response before of it coming out in a few weeks..  Hopefully the GDR3 release will be more timely

Steve

Thank you ATT for FINALLY releasing the GDR2/Amber update.. I got it around 12:15 P.M. CST.   Long over due, but much appreciated.. Thanks for getting this released earlier than what we were expecting according to your response before of it coming out in a few weeks..  Hopefully the GDR3 release will be more timely

Steve

487 of 520 (1,615 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 10, 2013 2:20:20 PM
(0)
Tutor

488 of 520 (1,611 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 10, 2013 2:23:03 PM
(0)
Tutor

It took about 20 mins for me.. but I had to run the "check for updates" twice on mine.  it did the first update, but no glance screen.. then ran update again and it finally worked.. Downloaded Nokia Pro Cam app and then went to settings.. camera app and changed default app.   Obviously don't have data sense since we are on ATT.. go figure..

Thanks

Steve

It took about 20 mins for me.. but I had to run the "check for updates" twice on mine.  it did the first update, but no glance screen.. then ran update again and it finally worked.. Downloaded Nokia Pro Cam app and then went to settings.. camera app and changed default app.   Obviously don't have data sense since we are on ATT.. go figure..

Thanks

Steve

489 of 520 (1,606 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 10, 2013 2:25:55 PM
(0)
Tutor

Yes, definitely download the beta app from Nokia for glance backgrounds.. it allows up to 4 images from photo library.

It sounds likes the next update GDR3 update will show lock screen icons also in glance mode

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/glance-background/7c3378ff-2844-480b-b2e2-783537201b84

Thanks

Steve

Yes, definitely download the beta app from Nokia for glance backgrounds.. it allows up to 4 images from photo library.

It sounds likes the next update GDR3 update will show lock screen icons also in glance mode

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/glance-background/7c3378ff-2844-480b-b2e2-783537201b84

Thanks

Steve

490 of 520 (1,602 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 10, 2013 3:12:42 PM
(0)
Mentor
Cool...thanks
Cool...thanks

491 of 520 (1,522 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 10, 2013 3:19:16 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by alodar1 on Oct 10, 2013 at 3:38:44 PM

Interesting....did a hard reset.   Amber..or should I say Glance is no longer available on my phone. 

When I feel stupid coming on I need to stop talking.  I won't have glance until the Nokia Display app is updated via store....duh....

Interesting....did a hard reset.   Amber..or should I say Glance is no longer available on my phone. 

When I feel stupid coming on I need to stop talking.  I won't have glance until the Nokia Display app is updated via store....duh....

[ Edited ]
492 of 520 (1,512 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 10, 2013 5:25:27 PM
(0)
Mentor

Sent a tweet to @ATTCustomerCare asking them to confirm that ATT pulled the Datasense app and if so, why. No reply yet. Maybe if more folks would seed them a tweet we might hear something.

Sent a tweet to @ATTCustomerCare asking them to confirm that ATT pulled the Datasense app and if so, why. No reply yet. Maybe if more folks would seed them a tweet we might hear something.

493 of 520 (1,434 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 10, 2013 10:18:26 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

JohnsonsPlace wrote:

Yes, they did. It's been assumed they had since it was blocked (it's just hidden, apparenlty) in the new hardware that shipped with Amber/GDR2

As to why... because. Apparently that's why.

JohnsonsPlace wrote:

Yes, they did. It's been assumed they had since it was blocked (it's just hidden, apparenlty) in the new hardware that shipped with Amber/GDR2

As to why... because. Apparently that's why.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

494 of 520 (1,323 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 10, 2013 10:45:40 PM
(0)
Voyager

I keep checking for updates and have hard reset my phone twice, but my phone keeps saying there are no updates.  has anyone else experienced this?  So annoying!  My wifi connection is just fine.

I keep checking for updates and have hard reset my phone twice, but my phone keeps saying there are no updates.  has anyone else experienced this?  So annoying!  My wifi connection is just fine.

920 won't detect update

495 of 520 (1,313 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2013 12:16:01 AM
(0)
Tutor
Figured it out. None if my system apps were updated and the system apparently doesn't check for them automatically.
Figured it out. None if my system apps were updated and the system apparently doesn't check for them automatically.

496 of 520 (1,299 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2013 4:13:55 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by foxpaw on Oct 11, 2013 at 9:47:57 PM

Update went real smooth! Only problem afterwards: Local Scout is gone from App List....and, although Local Scout finds me perfectly, not a single listing comes up anymore in any category....either from the Local Scout Live Tile or from within Bing. Appears Local Scout has died. YP Mobile and HERE City Lens working perfectly....and, I guess, will fill the gap.

=================UPDATE=============

Issue solved! Arcane solution....but it works!

Go to Setting-Applications-Search-click Suggestions box (would you like to get suggestions) to ON.

Scroll down to the Facebook box and tap it to connect . Your all done Local Scout is now working :smileyhappy:

Thanks to God-like pals from Windows Phone Central forums!

Update went real smooth! Only problem afterwards: Local Scout is gone from App List....and, although Local Scout finds me perfectly, not a single listing comes up anymore in any category....either from the Local Scout Live Tile or from within Bing. Appears Local Scout has died. YP Mobile and HERE City Lens working perfectly....and, I guess, will fill the gap.

=================UPDATE=============

Issue solved! Arcane solution....but it works!

Go to Setting-Applications-Search-click Suggestions box (would you like to get suggestions) to ON.

Scroll down to the Facebook box and tap it to connect . Your all done Local Scout is now working :smileyhappy:

Thanks to God-like pals from Windows Phone Central forums!

[ Edited ]
497 of 520 (1,278 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2013 7:59:59 AM
(0)
Mentor

Just an FYI for anyone doing a Hard Reset AFTER the Amber update.

You will lose the Amber Update components, but not the core update components.  

In order to have Glance and the other primary updates avaialble, go to the Nokia site, choose Support.  choose the 920. Scroll to the bottom of the page.  There is an FAQ with links to the updateable components there.  there are 3 of them.  Display, Extra's and Audio.  Install each.  Reboot.   Those Amber components will now be available. 

Or, don't Hard Reset...  :-)

Just an FYI for anyone doing a Hard Reset AFTER the Amber update.

You will lose the Amber Update components, but not the core update components.  

In order to have Glance and the other primary updates avaialble, go to the Nokia site, choose Support.  choose the 920. Scroll to the bottom of the page.  There is an FAQ with links to the updateable components there.  there are 3 of them.  Display, Extra's and Audio.  Install each.  Reboot.   Those Amber components will now be available. 

Or, don't Hard Reset...  :-)

498 of 520 (1,226 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2013 8:09:10 AM
(0)
Professor
Thanks for the tip
Thanks for the tip

499 of 520 (1,226 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2013 11:22:57 AM
(0)
Contributor

mine will not either!  I called technical support but they were absolutely not a help.

He basically said wait until Monday, which doesn't make sense.

Please let me know if you figure it out!

mine will not either!  I called technical support but they were absolutely not a help.

He basically said wait until Monday, which doesn't make sense.

Please let me know if you figure it out!

Re: 920 won't detect update

500 of 520 (1,172 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2013 12:02:18 PM
(0)
Professor

Got the replacement phone this morning Amber update complete

Got the replacement phone this morning Amber update complete

501 of 520 (1,168 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2013 12:49:10 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by foxpaw on Oct 11, 2013 at 9:52:21 PM

The longer this update is on my phone, the more of a mess it becomes! Most Live Tiles that worked great before, no longer update. Many apps no longer function properly. For example, 6tag gets stuck on the mapping page looking for photos. That worked perfectly until the update.

I wish I had just left me phone as it was! It worked so well before this so-called update! How terribly disappointing! Shame on AT&T and Nokia for putting their customers through this garbage!

=================UPDATE===============

Discovered that any app that was pinned to Main screen from WITHIN the app.....connection to Live Tile broken by updates. Unpin/repin from back WITHIN each affected app (Bing Stocks/News, 6tag, etc....for example) solves issue.

Sure wish customers had received some of these these tips from Nokia and/or AT&T PRIOR to going through this hassle -- and many others!

The longer this update is on my phone, the more of a mess it becomes! Most Live Tiles that worked great before, no longer update. Many apps no longer function properly. For example, 6tag gets stuck on the mapping page looking for photos. That worked perfectly until the update.

I wish I had just left me phone as it was! It worked so well before this so-called update! How terribly disappointing! Shame on AT&T and Nokia for putting their customers through this garbage!

Discovered that any app that was pinned to Main screen from WITHIN the app.....connection to Live Tile broken by updates. Unpin/repin from back WITHIN each affected app (Bing Stocks/News, 6tag, etc....for example) solves issue.

Sure wish customers had received some of these these tips from Nokia and/or AT&T PRIOR to going through this hassle -- and many others!

[ Edited ]
502 of 520 (1,161 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2013 6:01:03 PM
(0)
Teacher

Wow...your experience is totally different from mine. My phone is perfect - even better than it was before.

I just wish it had DataSense. Not happy about not getting that.

Wow...your experience is totally different from mine. My phone is perfect - even better than it was before.

I just wish it had DataSense. Not happy about not getting that.

503 of 520 (1,114 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2013 6:47:57 PM
(0)
Contributor
I have a Lumia 920, I updated to Amber last night.. Download went smooth, no hiccups.. After my phone restarts from the update, I notice I do not have the Glance feature. So I do a soft reset (Holding volume down button with power button), still not there.. Simply turned it off by only holding the power button, then turned it back on after 5 seconds of it being off. Glance is now there, and so far its working great, along with everything else. But I was under the impression that I would be able to view notifications (Also states that in the settings for glance). So tonight, there was an update for glance, still not working. Am I just mistaken about the notifications? Or is anybody else having the same issue? Some insight would be great, thanks!
I have a Lumia 920, I updated to Amber last night.. Download went smooth, no hiccups.. After my phone restarts from the update, I notice I do not have the Glance feature. So I do a soft reset (Holding volume down button with power button), still not there.. Simply turned it off by only holding the power button, then turned it back on after 5 seconds of it being off. Glance is now there, and so far its working great, along with everything else. But I was under the impression that I would be able to view notifications (Also states that in the settings for glance). So tonight, there was an update for glance, still not working. Am I just mistaken about the notifications? Or is anybody else having the same issue? Some insight would be great, thanks!

504 of 520 (1,110 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2013 9:19:35 PM
(0)
Scholar
I did the update yesterday, it went smoothly, busy. I noticed my game request/notifications don't show up on the lock screen. Everything else shows up, email, text, etc. but not the gaming icon. Anyone else noticing this?
I did the update yesterday, it went smoothly, busy. I noticed my game request/notifications don't show up on the lock screen. Everything else shows up, email, text, etc. but not the gaming icon. Anyone else noticing this?
Phones Owned (1999-Now): Nokia 5110, 3390, 3520, 6230, 6682, N72, 5800XM, Lumia 800, Lumia 900, Lumia 920 (Currently owned)

505 of 520 (1,073 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2013 9:57:09 PM
(0)
Mentor

Try to unpin/repin affected games/apps from WITHIN the game/app itself. This has fixed most similar issues for me. Apparently, the updates broke a lot of connections between Live Tiles/Notifications and apps.

Good luck! I sure hope this fixes your issue!

Try to unpin/repin affected games/apps from WITHIN the game/app itself. This has fixed most similar issues for me. Apparently, the updates broke a lot of connections between Live Tiles/Notifications and apps.

Good luck! I sure hope this fixes your issue!

506 of 520 (1,062 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2013 7:29:23 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

ARTaudio wrote:
I was under the impression that I would be able to view notifications (Also states that in the settings for glance). So tonight, there was an update for glance, still not working. Am I just mistaken about the notifications? Or is anybody else having the same issue? Some insight would be great, thanks!

I've had the exact same experience - glace working great (I use peek - costs about 5% battery in my day) but no notifications, just the time shown.

ARTaudio wrote:
I was under the impression that I would be able to view notifications (Also states that in the settings for glance). So tonight, there was an update for glance, still not working. Am I just mistaken about the notifications? Or is anybody else having the same issue? Some insight would be great, thanks!

I've had the exact same experience - glace working great (I use peek - costs about 5% battery in my day) but no notifications, just the time shown.

507 of 520 (1,004 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2013 7:31:16 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

foxpaw wrote:

The standard fix for "borked" live tiles that don't update is to unpin/repin (regardless of how they got there) them.

It's one of those OS bugs that I really wish they would fix, but I'm glad you got it worked out.

foxpaw wrote:

The standard fix for "borked" live tiles that don't update is to unpin/repin (regardless of how they got there) them.

It's one of those OS bugs that I really wish they would fix, but I'm glad you got it worked out.

508 of 520 (1,000 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2013 11:56:38 AM
(0)
Mentor

did you do both updates?

Amber update is the second update.  without this update you don't get Glance.   check updates again.

If you did both updates, you should be good after update.   Go to Settings, and scroll all the way to the bottom, you should see glance.

If you did the updates and then a Hard Reset, like I did, you will need to re-add the glance components.  go to Nokia. com/Support.  choose the 920.  Scroll to the bottom of the page, to the FAQs and find the FAQ, my amber updates are not visible.  Follow those steps, reboot, then Glance should be available.

hope that helps

did you do both updates?

Amber update is the second update.  without this update you don't get Glance.   check updates again.

If you did both updates, you should be good after update.   Go to Settings, and scroll all the way to the bottom, you should see glance.

If you did the updates and then a Hard Reset, like I did, you will need to re-add the glance components.  go to Nokia. com/Support.  choose the 920.  Scroll to the bottom of the page, to the FAQs and find the FAQ, my amber updates are not visible.  Follow those steps, reboot, then Glance should be available.

hope that helps

509 of 520 (979 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2013 9:40:17 PM
(0)
Scholar
Facebook app doesn't update correctly. I've tried the following:
-pin/repin tiles
-hard/soft reset
-sign in/out of facebook
Nothing...
Facebook app doesn't update correctly. I've tried the following:
-pin/repin tiles
-hard/soft reset
-sign in/out of facebook
Nothing...
Phones Owned (1999-Now): Nokia 5110, 3390, 3520, 6230, 6682, N72, 5800XM, Lumia 800, Lumia 900, Lumia 920 (Currently owned)

510 of 520 (936 Views)