Where's The GDR2/Amber Update... Any Schedule?

Teacher

Where's The GDR2/Amber Update... Any Schedule?

[ Edited ]

Ok ATT, when is GDR2 going to be released for the Nokia 920 (and all the other phones).

-taylor

Message 1 of 520 (37,611 Views)
Scholar

Re: Where's The GDR2 Update... Any Schedule?

There is a rumor on WPCentral that Nokia has pulled the update.  Supposidly they have put it on hold until Ocotober 7th for general release by October 21st.

Which would be along the same lines as the previous poster's response from CS.

It doesn't make sense to me at all...why they can push it out on new phones but it is not available for the "flagship" phone.

Message 249 of 520 (4,490 Views)
Voyager

[ Edited ]

I raise the 

[Inappropriate content removed]

flag on the extensive testing. Either AT&T is incompetent or they are trying to find a way to screw their customers. This update should of been available weeks ago.

Message 250 of 520 (4,346 Views)

lylone wrote:

There is a rumor on WPCentral that Nokia has pulled the update.  Supposidly they have put it on hold until Ocotober 7th for general release by October 21st.

It doesn't make sense to me at all...why they can push it out on new phones but it is not available for the "flagship" phone.

i don't believe the rumor.  probably started by AT&T.

Message 251 of 520 (4,286 Views)
ACE - Professor

[ Edited ]

lylone wrote:

Could be a simple problem with the "update" vs a "new install" (ie, new devices ship with a clean new image) borking things. There were more than a few reports of devices getting bricked in the update process.

Anyway, sounds like I should be prepared to be "very put out", if this rumor is true. I'm not hungering for the update, but it sure will be disappointing to those who are if this comes to pass. Still, if it is due to the bricking, you'd probably be happier not bricking your phone.

Meh. Guess we wait for more info from Nokia if this is the case.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 252 of 520 (4,270 Views)
Mentor

Translated from ATT speak into 920 language...iPhone launch is going great...920 mind your manors and respect your betters
Message 253 of 520 (3,893 Views)
Mentor

I want that FM radio....
Message 254 of 520 (3,874 Views)

lylone wrote:

I just went through the recent posts at wpcentral in the Lumia 920 section. I found no rumors of Nokia  putting the update on hold.

Give a link.

Message 255 of 520 (3,837 Views)
Scholar

Put your glasses on and maybe read again?

http://forums.wpcentral.com/nokia-lumia-920/238465-22.htm

Post #549

"So here is what's really going on.  During some of the GDR2+Amber roll outs on other 920 carriers there have been some issues.  Nokia put a freeze on the update and is making corrections.  This corrected release should receive technical acceptance by 10/7 and be out to everyone by 10/21.  I know it sucks as I'm waiting on this update as much as anyone but at least we now know what's going on.  I just wish Nokia or AT&T would have made a public statement instead of me having to go through my contacts at both"

and read post #552

Message 256 of 520 (3,768 Views)
ACE - Professor

"bpmurr" I am sure is a trustworthy source, and no doubt he/she has accurate info.

I think using rumor for this is accurate. Even so, if it's true I'd say it's good news - no hold up by the evil empire, rather the testing actually turned up an issue which needed to be resolved. So we end up with a better update, later, instead of less good one, sooner?

Winning?

"May I live a thousand years and never hunt again!"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 257 of 520 (3,740 Views)

I don't buy the rumor. Here's why: they say it is specific to the 920. If that's the case, why no release for 820? Second, I have read of no bricks through update. Only bricks through incredibly crazy "new install". Furthermore, AT&T has a tram record of not releasing updates. Nokia should just accidentally release it for us to download. If we are technically savvy, we will be able to install.
Message 258 of 520 (3,712 Views)
Teacher

That's what I thought when I tweeted Nokia Care last night....

"No. You cannot get the update directly from us. Availability depends on ATTs approval."

Translation: Hurry Up and Wait.
Message 259 of 520 (3,706 Views)
Professor

mark.f.masters wrote:
I don't buy the rumor. Here's why: they say it is specific to the 920. If that's the case, why no release for 820? Second, I have read of no bricks through update. Only bricks through incredibly crazy "new install". Furthermore, AT&T has a tram record of not releasing updates. Nokia should just accidentally release it for us to download. If we are technically savvy, we will be able to install.

I think we all cried a little when Navifirm went away.
Message 260 of 520 (3,583 Views)
ACE - Professor

mark.f.masters wrote:
Second, I have read of no bricks through update.

HTC had a lot of trouble with their GDR2 update bricking some 8xs

http://www.wpcentral.com/htc-8xs-locking-after-gdr2-update-reports

So it's not unheard of.

Message 261 of 520 (3,550 Views)

bez2083 wrote:
That's what I thought when I tweeted Nokia Care last night....

"No. You cannot get the update directly from us. Availability depends on ATTs approval."

Translation: Hurry Up and Wait.

and that's the depressing thought, that availability depends on ATT, which means that all delays are ATT's fault.

regardless, i did not expect nokia to officially give it to us, rather just leak it by accident.  oops. (take that ATT slackers)

Message 262 of 520 (3,551 Views)

johninsj wrote:

mark.f.masters wrote:
Second, I have read of no bricks through update.

HTC had a lot of trouble with their GDR2 update bricking some 8xs

http://www.wpcentral.com/htc-8xs-locking-after-gdr2-update-reports

So it's not unheard of.

except that is the htc 8x not nokia 920.  and att released that one.  a lot more nokia 920's with no reports of bricking o have seen.  furthermore, ios 7 has been reported to brick iphones, i don't see that halting....

dont applogize for ATT.  they don't deserve.

Message 263 of 520 (3,549 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.