Where's The GDR2/Amber Update... Any Schedule?

Teacher

Where's The GDR2/Amber Update... Any Schedule?

[ Edited ]

Ok ATT, when is GDR2 going to be released for the Nokia 920 (and all the other phones).

-taylor

Message 1 of 520 (37,539 Views)
ACE - Professor

Re: Where's The GDR2 Update... Any Schedule?

bez2083 wrote:
Nothing worse than the false glimmer of hope you get when you're phone is checking for the latest update......there is a split second where you're overwhelmed with false hope only to see.

Your phone is up to date. Last checked 2 seconds ago.

I loved you ATT, and you broke my heart.

LOL

Yeah I get that too. Maybe... Maybe.... Maybeeeeeeee.....

Nope. Not yet.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 143 of 520 (12,539 Views)
Contributor

How hard it is for AT&T to inform it's customer about a release date for GDR2? At least give an update that is coming in 2-3 weeks or something like that. If they are having issues with the update during there internal tests then that's a different story and we would love to hear it from AT&T.

Message 144 of 520 (12,375 Views)
Mentor

You should all know by now that AT&T has it managerial head up its a**. Employees and staff are not allowed to say anything except the corporate mantra. You will not get any glimmer of hope from the inside of an intestine.
Message 145 of 520 (12,166 Views)
ACE - Professor

ynazami wrote:

How hard it is for AT&T to inform it's customer about a release date for GDR2? At least give an update that is coming in 2-3 weeks or something like that. If they are having issues with the update during there internal tests then that's a different story and we would love to hear it from AT&T.

"all Lumia WP8 devices on all carriers will have GDR2/Amber by the end of September"

- Nokia

That's the drop dead date. You'll see it on AT&T sometime between Monday and Sept 31st. So, Three Weeks.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 146 of 520 (12,107 Views)

Right now I'm betting on September 31st!
Message 147 of 520 (12,031 Views)
Scholar

I remember when Windows 7.8 and Windows 8 got announced there was SOMEONE on here (not naming names, he knows who he is) that swore up and down that AT&T could not under ANY circumstance block any updates. When I stated that it wasn't true because I had confirmed it with the development team, they basically called me an ID10T (sorry, to get past the political correctness filter) and a liar.

For the record, I'm still expecting my apology. This is AT&T we're talking about. They would rather lose a million customers than miss out on a potential new phone sale. They are THAT money hungry and anti-consumer.
Message 148 of 520 (11,997 Views)
Professor

With Windows phone 7 both the AT&T office of the President  and the Windows phone  Developement team at Microsoft as well as in my case the customer service at LG assured us  that we would get the update. well they  were all  lying or  just  stupid

Message 150 of 520 (11,955 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am also {word filter evasion} off with AT&T with the GDDR2 Amber update delay. Almost EVERY other carrier has had the update in place, but not AT&T - the "favored" partner of Nokia in the US!!

Calling up AT&T customer support does not help at all!

I have a sneaky feeling that AT&T is trying some re-engineering - like killing the FM Radio or some such, so that the customer is forced to use streaming and use more data services from AT&T.

Anyway, enough is enough. If the update does not take place in another week or so, I am leaving AT&T as soon as my contract expires. I will go to Big Red, which is much better in terms of updates, support and cutomer service.

Message 151 of 520 (3,241 Views)
Tutor

[ Edited ]

I hope more people do the same, dropping ATT is frankly the only action they may notice. God knows they are not paying attention to the numberous forum threads like this one. Maybe I can find a new carrier that shows me love the day after I sign the contract.

* I hope Microsoft finds a way to achieve what Apple has (as far as i know); when Apple releases their new IOS for the iphone you dont hear about iphone users out there getting it months after the fact.

Message 152 of 520 (3,225 Views)
ACE - Professor

McHale72 wrote:
I remember when Windows 7.8 and Windows 8 got announced there was SOMEONE on here (not naming names, he knows who he is) that swore up and down that AT&T could not under ANY circumstance block any updates. When I stated that it wasn't true because I had confirmed it with the development team, they basically called me an ID10T (sorry, to get past the political correctness filter) and a liar.

For the record, I'm still expecting my apology. This is AT&T we're talking about. They would rather lose a million customers than miss out on a potential new phone sale. They are THAT money hungry and anti-consumer.

I didn't call you either of those, and as far as I can see here AT&T isn't blocking an update - all the carriers *still* have final approval on updates, which is what's happening here - so yes, I was incorrect Microsoft still hasn't got the clout Apple does when it comes to bypassing carriers.

If you'd like me to apologise for being wrong about the direct release of updates to phones in WP8, then sure - I'm sorry I was wrong. Eventually it would be great if that were true, and perhaps a Microsoft branded phone would have the clout to demand that of the carriers. With a 3% market share I don't hold much hope out, but stranger things have happened.

The assumption that they somehow will get more new phone sales if they approve an os update 3-4 weeks after the first day it's available is an interesting theroy which I disagree with Smiley Happy

Message 153 of 520 (3,052 Views)
Teacher

We're coming up on a month now and not a peep from AT&T. It's nice to see that they regard us as billing statements rather than customers.

AT&T has the most atrocious customer service I have expereienced, and I am a former Time Warner Cable customer...

Message 154 of 520 (2,995 Views)
Mentor

Just had my weekly "chat" with AT&T support and they are claiming that Nokia has not yet released the update to AT&T.  I got fed up and told them that their comment was a bunch of BULL!  It's pathetic!

Message 155 of 520 (2,871 Views)
Scholar

What's great is, the GDR3 update details are already leaking out (and on a Lumia 920 BTW). Check them out here (and pray that AT&T allows us to have them): http://www.afterdawn.com/news/article.cfm/2013/09/08/microsoft_update_for_windows_phone_8_leaked_in_...

For the record, AT&T isn't (and hasn't been) testing Amber this whole time. It was delayed specifically because of the 1020 (and a tiny bit because of the 925) launch. It was a business decision to focus their attention on selling new product vs. supporting old product. Remember, GDR2 was pushed IMMEDIATELY to the HTC 8X upon availability from HTC. It was the same factors that kept AT&T from updating the 7.x devices - there were always newer products to push.

I have 2 Lumias - one which I have already pushed the AT&T developer ROM to and my daily phone which I will keep stock as long as I can tolerate. Once the official Amber update is pushed I will see what they stripped out of it and decide what to go with going forward. I'm pretty sure we all know how they're going to destroy it.
Message 156 of 520 (2,872 Views)
Mentor

[ Edited ]

My souring is nearing action phase.  If Nexus 5 looks decent then I'm outta here.  No more gutless lying Windows Phone (carriers won't be able to stop updates with new WP8, and that enthusiast program getting access to updates early - lying liars telling lies) and no more at&t (putting customers last if you don't buy a brand new phone).  This joke is not funny any more.

Message 157 of 520 (2,867 Views)
Mentor

You raise a good point McHail72... I was so p'ed off, I couldn't think clearly or I would have thrown that back at her! LOL
Message 158 of 520 (2,782 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.