Where's The GDR2/Amber Update... Any Schedule?

Teacher

Where's The GDR2/Amber Update... Any Schedule?

[ Edited ]

Ok ATT, when is GDR2 going to be released for the Nokia 920 (and all the other phones).

-taylor

Message 1 of 520 (37,733 Views)
Mentor

Re: Where's The GDR2/Amber Update... Any Schedule?

What firmware issue?
Message 376 of 520 (2,322 Views)
Teacher

Neither are willing to disclose. To my understanding it was something detrimental and caused for a rewrite of the firmware. Just as people have mentioned how flashing to the at&t developer rom was causing frequent lock ups and terrible battery life was only the small issues. I believe there was worse in their testing which they halted its release.

Think about how many people griped about how they wanted the next iteration of Windows OS back when people were waiting for Vista. It had some major issues and they released it pre maturely. Had they waited and fixed the major issues Vista would have been more like Windows 7 and better adoption... Instead most people stuck with XP and Microsoft took the heat. It is easier to hold a release until it meets QA QC standards and have a couple unhappy customers then release some botched hooptie release and anger the whole user base. I'd rather it done right the first time.
Message 377 of 520 (2,241 Views)
Mentor

So maybe tomorrow..
Message 378 of 520 (2,207 Views)
Contributor

Re: Where's The GDR2 Update... Any Schedule?

I thought my phone was broken! So, I guess knowing this is better, but I still would be much happier if I already had the update.
Message 379 of 520 (2,204 Views)
Teacher

There's no firmware issue going on here, it's AT&T sitting on this update. Plain and simple.

I flashed the AT&T Developer's Edition of the GDR2/Amber update and there are absolutely no issues whatsoever. I've been running the firmware for nearly a month now

Message 380 of 520 (2,163 Views)
Teacher

Not all phones have the same hardware revisions. Just because user "A" with a phone from factory "A" doesn't mean user "B" with a phone from factory "C" won't have issues. You may be lucky. I'm sure if AT&T were to aggravate a majority of WP users by doing this Microsoft and Nokia would do something about it. Remember the launch of the Nokia Lumia 900 and the big they had then and how they handed out $100 discounts pretty much making the phones free? Do you honestly think they would do stuff like that and then just sit on this? If you like believe what you will if that helps you sleep at night. I've read though wpcentral and wmpoweruser and people have been having issues specific to the att dev rom that was pulled. The Rogers rom people have been having better success but after hours of configuring and needle and threading they get a half baked build with either reception issues or tethering issues or many other issues. The OTA updates I've received never had these issues, nor did they wipe my phone or require very specific steps otherwise having to reflash the phone all over again... Too much hassle, easier to wait a bit and have a painless update then go through all the headaches. If you could wait this long as I have it would make sense to wait a few more days otherwise update and have them release the official non pain in the rump version and feel like a tool. Smiley Wink
Message 381 of 520 (2,123 Views)
Mentor

How much longer will you wait for the OTA update?
Message 382 of 520 (2,112 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am curious if people spam at&t to get them to release or do they just *** about it and hate on others.
why not start taking action instead of hiding in this corner? I try forums hoping there are answers, but its mostly *** and repetitive questions.
contact at&t and send them comments/feedback. Over and over. Smiley Happy Viva la revolucion!

[word filter avoidance]

Message 383 of 520 (2,033 Views)
Highlighted
Teacher

Not sure what you are referring to saying the dev rom was pulled, seeing as the thread is still live in XDA forums where it was originally posted.

As far as I have seen, anyone who followed the original poster's instructions had no issues with the ROM post-flashing

Message 384 of 520 (2,024 Views)

audidiablo wrote:
@razzellu
Premier partner???

Definition of premier(adj)

Bing Dictionary

pre·mier

1.best or most important: first in importance, size, or quality.

First: AT&T (and Aio, which is still AT&T) is the last carrier on the continent to publish the GDR2/Amber update.

Size: They're reducing the size of the update if/when Data Sense is removed.

Quality: Part of quality is how information is communicated. There has been no Quality communication, and even the uofficial communication is as vague as not saying anything.
You left out partner. AT&T sells the service and hardware but does not make the phones or OS. They may be the last on this continent which is a convenient way of wording it. Why narrow it down to just this continent as if the rest of the world doesn't exist? A quick look on Nokia site for Amber firmware release shows many world wide have yet to release this firmware string. Secondly AT&T has released GDR2 for their other head sets as GDR2 isn't the problem, the Amber firmware from Nokia is. Keep on mind, Nokia makes the firmware and releases the firmware, not AT&T. Just as Microsoft makes GDR2 and releases GDR2 you wouldn't ask AT&T to fix the update for Microsoft or Amber for Nokia. It would be as illogical as you being responsible for fixing any network issues they may be having at AT&T if you lose your signal.

Who is to say they are reducing its size? Do you have any proof of this? If this were the case you would also have a pretty good idea on how the update is coming along and when it will be released. Only the privileged have that sort of information. Also be aware Data Sense is part of the OS and would better refer to GDR2 which is Microsoft as Data Sense is part of Windows Phone 8 and not Nokia or the Nokia firmware update named Amber. As mentioned before GDR2 is out and also has been released by AT&T.

AT&T would have a better idea on when it would be released if they had it to release. I think they're taking a lot of the heat for this issue as people only focus on what is in front of them. Sort of like being mad at the dealership for a faulty part in a car... If your Honda has a faulty fuel system and it is a known issue why be mad at the dealer when they had no part of the manufacturing or assembly? I can agree some clarity would be nice from AT&T it isn't entirely their responsibility to do so as it isn't their update. Like getting mad that Dell isn't letting me know when my Windows 8.1 is going to be released. Just plain foolish.

If you want a more concrete answer ask Nokia when they plan on getting their Amber update to AT&T. If they say AT&T has the new Amber update then ask AT&T how far along they are with the new Amber firmware. In any event in sure its just around the corner coming in days or at most couple weeks. I say sit tight and be happy the firmware issue was caught before being released which could have proven detrimental to the flagship Lumia line.

and why are you in the know?  you read a rumor on one of the other sites did you?  hardly the stuff to be pontificating on.  if you have solid info then give us the reference.

also, you go on about the firmware string.  what firmware string is that pray tell?  if you look on the nokia update site, you will see every other manufacturer has released the newest version.  i have friends running amber+gdr2 on verizon with datasense.  no issues.  so i don't buy any of your arguments.   

and as for size... it is pretty clear data sense will be disabled.  while that will not reduce the size  it is clearly what the original author intended.     if you cant figure that out, then please just sit down.

finally, since you like analogies so much, AT&T not releasing the update in a timely manner is much mormlike the dealership saying "we have the part but we are not givving it to you even though the manufacturer has issued a recall"

Message 385 of 520 (2,005 Views)
Teacher

and why are you in the know? you read a rumor on one of the other sites did you? hardly the stuff to be pontificating on. if you have solid info then give us the reference.
I don't have to disclose anything I don't feel like. I'm not a genie and you're not my master. There are some sources albeit not the most reliable the information fits what other information is available. Some simple logic and putting the pieces together should be good enough for you.

also, you go on about the firmware string. what firmware string is that pray tell? if you look on the nokia update site, you will see every other manufacturer has released the newest version. i have friends running amber+gdr2 on verizon with datasense. no issues. so i don't buy any of your arguments.
I take it numbed aren't your strong suit...
Rogers version of amber...
3047.0000.1326.2001 Available
AT&T version of amber
1232.5962.1314.0001 Waiting for approval

Notice how the numbers don't match? That is because they are different versions being different strings. And Verizon is very different as they do not have the Nokia Lumia 920, but the 928... Their version is 3045.0000.1328.2046 Available, again not the same version or string. Again data sense is part of GDR2 and not amber... Data sense has nothing to do with the amber firmware but has to do with the GDR2 Microsoft update.

and as for size... it is pretty clear data sense will be disabled. while that will not reduce the size it is clearly what the original author intended. if you cant figure that out, then please just sit down.
It is understood that Microsoft wanted to give the option, hence the term option. They did the same with Windows 8 and MSE baked in. If they the OEM bundles the PC with antivirus software they disable MSE as sometimes it can conflict. Just as the author intended for the OEM to make the choice. As this is a slightly different case since AT&T provides the service they also lease to own the phone to you. In this case it is not your choice. As the dealer owns the car they call the shots. Those who modify their car void the warranty and if leased can lose the lease. There is a reason why they provide unlock codes to owners and why the owners can update at their own discretion. I'm not entirely sure what you're referring to of what I'm not getting but rest assured I've been sitting this whole time.

finally, since you like analogies so much, AT&T not releasing the update in a timely manner is much mormlike the dealership saying "we have the part but we are not givving it to you even though the manufacturer has issued a recall",
Nokia recalled the update with recommendation by AT&T. If you release firmware which could permanently destroy hardware under warranty the cost comes out of AT&T and Nokia. So imagine they are releasing an updated ecu tuning for a car for free as a courtesy and they realized the update causes erratic behavior, rough idle, poor mileage and up to even the engine seizing... They pulled the ecu update and are hurrying to rewrite the ecu software to resolve the issues. Just as there are different fuel types and octanes, different emissions standards by country and state and slightly different internals it is still specific to region. Just as Verizon has 3G and 4G LTE AT&T has 4G and 4G LTE. One runs CDMA and the other runs HSPA+ and other variants. Same nickname different networks. This is why Verizon doesn't play nice with AT&T and vice versa. The update isn't universal, like a spark plug, one size doesn't fit all.

hope that helps!
Message 386 of 520 (1,980 Views)
Voyager

While all things being equal, your number that you are quoting is the Current Firmware level.

The Site lists Current Software/Firmware version - Status of Amber.

Message 387 of 520 (1,877 Views)
Teacher

True, but build string 1232.5962.1314.0001 is much different than 3047.0000.1326.2001 or 3045.0000.1328.2046

12xx bracket versus 30xx bracket.
Message 388 of 520 (1,863 Views)
Voyager

That is becuase it is that far back.  Once you do the update, the Firmware Version will move up to 3047.XXXX.XXXX.XXXX.  Once it goes to available, you will see the dramatic jump.

Message 389 of 520 (1,857 Views)
Explorer

Geezzz... I can't belive my first post in here is to point out that the firmware version of the CURRENTLY released firmware is 1232.5962.1314.0001, which is NOT the firmware number of the upcoming firmware released as GDR2/Amber which will have a number starting with 304x.

Oh, and since it's my first post, I have to say...

• That the premiere partner thing is a joke, maybe they shouldn't be dead last if they want that moniker
  •  I'm still waiting for 7.8 on my Samsung Focus
  •  Sorry AT&T, your only function is as a dumb pipe to provide me network access. Any of your other services blow

Message 390 of 520 (1,822 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.