Wireless Forums

Posted Jul 29, 2013
4:11:07 PM
View profile
Where's The GDR2/Amber Update... Any Schedule?

Ok ATT, when is GDR2 going to be released for the Nokia 920 (and all the other phones).

-taylor

519 replies
(19) Me too
(19) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(519)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2013 9:27:29 AM
(0)
Teacher
I like that qoute or how about this one...."even a fool is thought wise when he keeps his mouth shut"
I like that qoute or how about this one...."even a fool is thought wise when he keeps his mouth shut"

Re: gdr2 update

288 of 520 (1,870 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2013 9:28:39 AM
(0)
Teacher
Now that is one solution. I may actually try it. lol.
Now that is one solution. I may actually try it. lol.

289 of 520 (1,868 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2013 4:18:12 PM
(0)
Voyager

it is available now...they just don't want to release something for free that they are currently selling in the form of new phones and the same thing will happen to those people in about 6 months when they are due an update...Att has been very consistent with their lack of interest in updating older phones

it is available now...they just don't want to release something for free that they are currently selling in the form of new phones and the same thing will happen to those people in about 6 months when they are due an update...Att has been very consistent with their lack of interest in updating older phones

296 of 520 (1,803 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2013 8:22:27 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Taylarie on Sep 30, 2013 at 8:42:16 AM

{keep it courteous}, just release the {word filter evasion} update already... you're really {word filter evasion} us off.  Verizon had it available weeks ago.

{keep it courteous}, just release the {word filter evasion} update already... you're really {word filter evasion} us off.  Verizon had it available weeks ago.

[ Edited ]
302 of 520 (4,123 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2013 9:49:41 AM
(0)
Teacher

Currently preparing myself to be "very put out".  :catindifferent:  I'm not even mad, though I do kinda regret getting this phone.  Serves me for "thinking different":catwink:.

Currently preparing myself to be "very put out".  :catindifferent:  I'm not even mad, though I do kinda regret getting this phone.  Serves me for "thinking different":catwink:.

303 of 520 (4,054 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2013 11:25:33 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by hb2p on Sep 30, 2013 at 11:27:13 AM
Re: gdr2 update[ Edited ]

--------------------------------------------------

It is nice to know that ATT moderates the discussions.  Now if they would just provide some answers! 

Re: gdr2 update[ Edited ]

--------------------------------------------------

It is nice to know that ATT moderates the discussions.  Now if they would just provide some answers! 

[ Edited ]
304 of 520 (3,976 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2013 12:36:39 PM
(0)
Community Manager
Edited by ATTDmitriyCM on Sep 30, 2013 at 12:39:21 PM

Thank you for your inquiries about the latest Windows Phone update for the Nokia Lumia 820/920. We are nearing the final stages of testing and expect the GDR2/Amber update to be available in the coming weeks. We believe you will enjoy the experience of the new software update and appreciate your patience.

Rethink Possible

For account specific help, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

Thank you for your inquiries about the latest Windows Phone update for the Nokia Lumia 820/920. We are nearing the final stages of testing and expect the GDR2/Amber update to be available in the coming weeks. We believe you will enjoy the experience of the new software update and appreciate your patience.

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Where's The GDR2 Update... Any Schedule?

[ Edited ]
307 of 520 (3,922 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2013 12:42:55 PM
(0)
Teacher

Coming WEEKS? I'd expect GDR3 in the coming weeks, not GDR2.

Thanks for the info but it doesn'tmake me feel much better.

Coming WEEKS? I'd expect GDR3 in the coming weeks, not GDR2.

Thanks for the info but it doesn'tmake me feel much better.

308 of 520 (3,900 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2013 12:48:13 PM
(0)
Community Manager
Edited by ATTDmitriyCM on Sep 30, 2013 at 12:49:27 PM

As soon as we have any more info we'll be sure to let you guys know.

Thanks again,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Thanks again,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

[ Edited ]
309 of 520 (3,877 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2013 1:35:23 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by mopinla on Sep 30, 2013 at 1:35:51 PM

ATTDmitriyCM wrote:

Thanks again,

Dmitriy

Any "more" info? That would imply that you've given information in the first place.  All these copy and past jobs do is annoy me more.  It's been a month and a half, and (almost) every other carrier around the world has released this.

This tells me one of two things:

1. AT&T is incompetent and cannot properly test and release updates in a timely manner. or

2. It does not make business sense for AT&T to release this update, for whichever of the theories are floating around here. They do not care about their customers.

Either answer is fine with me.  Just tell us that so we're not waiting around for some vague time frame.  I was on board with John the AT&T apologist for a while.  Wait until the end of September.  Nokia said it would happen.

I know everybody wants something different from the update.  I, personally, really want the Procam upgrade, but I'm not willing to rebuild my phone from scratch for an update EVERYONE ELSE IN THE WORLD HAS ALREADY GOTTEN PROPERLY.  I know it makes no difference to vent here, and we Windows Phone owners are a tiny portion of AT&T's business (hence, answer #2 makes sense), but stop stringing us along.

ATTDmitriyCM wrote:

Thanks again,

Dmitriy

Any "more" info? That would imply that you've given information in the first place.  All these copy and past jobs do is annoy me more.  It's been a month and a half, and (almost) every other carrier around the world has released this.

This tells me one of two things:

1. AT&T is incompetent and cannot properly test and release updates in a timely manner. or

2. It does not make business sense for AT&T to release this update, for whichever of the theories are floating around here. They do not care about their customers.

Either answer is fine with me.  Just tell us that so we're not waiting around for some vague time frame.  I was on board with John the AT&T apologist for a while.  Wait until the end of September.  Nokia said it would happen.

I know everybody wants something different from the update.  I, personally, really want the Procam upgrade, but I'm not willing to rebuild my phone from scratch for an update EVERYONE ELSE IN THE WORLD HAS ALREADY GOTTEN PROPERLY.  I know it makes no difference to vent here, and we Windows Phone owners are a tiny portion of AT&T's business (hence, answer #2 makes sense), but stop stringing us along.

[ Edited ]
310 of 520 (3,779 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2013 1:35:46 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

If I can read the tea leaves...

Looks like the delay rumored in the WP forums (I believe it was "mid october") is accurate.
That rumor was that there was a problem identified, it was kicked back to Nokia for redress, and it was supposed to be come back to AT&T sometime early Oct, then get released mid october.

The other thing to read in the tea leaves is that, obviously, there will be a release of GDR2/Amber for the 920.

Finally, GDR3 has NOT been released by Microsoft yet. No one is getting that in October. Rumors say GDR3 is out in November earliest, and the biggist feature is support for 1080p displays.

Looks like the delay rumored in the WP forums (I believe it was "mid october") is accurate.
That rumor was that there was a problem identified, it was kicked back to Nokia for redress, and it was supposed to be come back to AT&T sometime early Oct, then get released mid october.

The other thing to read in the tea leaves is that, obviously, there will be a release of GDR2/Amber for the 920.

Finally, GDR3 has NOT been released by Microsoft yet. No one is getting that in October. Rumors say GDR3 is out in November earliest, and the biggist feature is support for 1080p displays.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

311 of 520 (3,775 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2013 1:48:57 PM
(0)
Explorer

So when the facts don't support you, you resort to "tea leaves"?  What happens when the tea leaves fail, John?  The other guy nailed it when he called you an "AT&T apologist."

So when the facts don't support you, you resort to "tea leaves"?  What happens when the tea leaves fail, John?  The other guy nailed it when he called you an "AT&T apologist."

312 of 520 (3,740 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2013 2:02:20 PM
(0)
Explorer

Also, if the GDR2 + Amber is released without the data tools, I am leaving AT&T.  I have been a customer for well over 10 years and this would be the biggest kick in the teeth.  The only reason I could think of to remove this feature would be to help me go over my monthly data limits and that is about as dishonest as you can get with your cell phone business model.  I am upset that all my friends already have the update and if they are holding it up just so they can strip out one of the most needed features, well, I am ready to spit nails.

Also, if the GDR2 + Amber is released without the data tools, I am leaving AT&T.  I have been a customer for well over 10 years and this would be the biggest kick in the teeth.  The only reason I could think of to remove this feature would be to help me go over my monthly data limits and that is about as dishonest as you can get with your cell phone business model.  I am upset that all my friends already have the update and if they are holding it up just so they can strip out one of the most needed features, well, I am ready to spit nails.

313 of 520 (3,705 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2013 2:07:57 PM
(0)
Voyager

No. het will just layoff a few workers to keep his 21 million.

No. het will just layoff a few workers to keep his 21 million.

Re: Where's GDR2 / GDR3

314 of 520 (3,681 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2013 2:21:40 PM
(0)
Teacher

In plain English: AT&T is doing it's usual horse manure. Bleep it all you want. It's still the politest description possible.

In plain English: AT&T is doing it's usual horse manure. Bleep it all you want. It's still the politest description possible.

315 of 520 (3,593 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2013 2:25:40 PM
(0)
Teacher

johninsj wrote:

That rumor was that there was a problem identified.

>

The leaked version in the same forums works a treat and has since day 1. So I doubt there's a problem with Amber. More like, AT&T is the problem.

johninsj wrote:

>

The leaked version in the same forums works a treat and has since day 1. So I doubt there's a problem with Amber. More like, AT&T is the problem.

316 of 520 (3,564 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2013 3:05:47 PM
(0)
Mentor

johninsj wrote:

mark.f.masters wrote:

of courae it is financed.  does that stop the phone from being mine?  no.  just as with a car, if i finanace it, ot os still my car.  ultimately, at the end of the finance period, i keep the phone.  not so with next.  in next, you are forever a renter. 

regardless, the phone is mine and i should not be stopped by att from updating.  unless it will negatively impact their network that is. 

If your financed phone bricks during the update... is that AT&T's problem or yours? If you agree it's yours then you can already get the update without AT&T.

is it still under waranty?  then yes it is att's problem.  if 1 year is up, its probably mine.  and while i can do the update now, it is needlessly painful and if there is a risk of bricking, its multiplied by the multiple update process that you have to go through to get the update.  And yes, i have all the stuff to do it already prepped. 

it is also time consuming, more so than kvetching on the forum and seeing if i can annoy you which is enjoyable as a passtime. 

but i have two more serious concerns: a) tethering, for which i pay, seems to be really flawed with att and that update path so i am very hesitant to use it.  b) future upgrades.  it is unclear to me that the phone will be upgradeable in the future after this.  i don't think so, but i am unsure and i would like 8.1 when it is released. 

johninsj wrote:

mark.f.masters wrote:

of courae it is financed.  does that stop the phone from being mine?  no.  just as with a car, if i finanace it, ot os still my car.  ultimately, at the end of the finance period, i keep the phone.  not so with next.  in next, you are forever a renter. 

regardless, the phone is mine and i should not be stopped by att from updating.  unless it will negatively impact their network that is. 

If your financed phone bricks during the update... is that AT&T's problem or yours? If you agree it's yours then you can already get the update without AT&T.

is it still under waranty?  then yes it is att's problem.  if 1 year is up, its probably mine.  and while i can do the update now, it is needlessly painful and if there is a risk of bricking, its multiplied by the multiple update process that you have to go through to get the update.  And yes, i have all the stuff to do it already prepped. 

it is also time consuming, more so than kvetching on the forum and seeing if i can annoy you which is enjoyable as a passtime. 

but i have two more serious concerns: a) tethering, for which i pay, seems to be really flawed with att and that update path so i am very hesitant to use it.  b) future upgrades.  it is unclear to me that the phone will be upgradeable in the future after this.  i don't think so, but i am unsure and i would like 8.1 when it is released. 

317 of 520 (3,453 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2013 3:45:54 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Fred Bilitnikoff wrote:

The AT&T guy said a couple weeks. Yeah, I'm not happy they're late either. Let's grab our torches and pitchforks...

They'll release it. Eventually.

Fred Bilitnikoff wrote:

The AT&T guy said a couple weeks. Yeah, I'm not happy they're late either. Let's grab our torches and pitchforks...

They'll release it. Eventually.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

318 of 520 (3,370 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2013 3:47:14 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

piaqt wrote:

johninsj wrote:

>

The leaked version isn't installed as an OTA wireless update, so nope, that doesn't actually prove that there isn't a problem doing an OTA update.

piaqt wrote:

johninsj wrote:

>

The leaked version isn't installed as an OTA wireless update, so nope, that doesn't actually prove that there isn't a problem doing an OTA update.

319 of 520 (3,367 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2013 3:48:05 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

mark.f.masters wrote:

johninsj wrote:

mark.f.masters wrote:

So if it's AT&T's problem, you should understand if they want an update that has no chance of bricking a phone during a wireless OTA update. yes?

mark.f.masters wrote:

johninsj wrote:

mark.f.masters wrote:

So if it's AT&T's problem, you should understand if they want an update that has no chance of bricking a phone during a wireless OTA update. yes?

320 of 520 (3,367 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2013 5:39:47 PM
(0)
Mentor

ALL,

Get on the phone and call customer service and tell them your upset, or contact customer service. Tell them to give you a free upgrade to  the Lumia 1020.... Got mine for $99 dollars

If you don't complain during situations like this you accomplish nothing!

ALL,

Get on the phone and call customer service and tell them your upset, or contact customer service. Tell them to give you a free upgrade to  the Lumia 1020.... Got mine for $99 dollars

If you don't complain during situations like this you accomplish nothing!

321 of 520 (3,195 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2013 7:44:13 PM
(0)
Teacher
Does anyone else see the disclaimer at the bottom of this "official statement"? The community manager's statement on this forum "don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions." Is this an officially sanctioned AT&T company statement? It seems to me we are still left with no answers and no Amber update. Did I miss something here?
Does anyone else see the disclaimer at the bottom of this "official statement"? The community manager's statement on this forum "don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions." Is this an officially sanctioned AT&T company statement? It seems to me we are still left with no answers and no Amber update. Did I miss something here?

322 of 520 (3,023 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2013 7:52:04 PM
(0)
Mentor

johninsj wrote:

mark.f.masters wrote:

johninsj wrote:

mark.f.masters wrote:

there's always a risk.  by that logic, they should do no updates.  furthermore, there will always be some phones under waranty, so.....

also, many many, the majority of service providers released over the air with no problem.  maybe att could not figure out how to strip out data sense and fm radio....

so yet again, AT&T appologist, your logic, as that of most appologists is lame. 

also, as i recall, you were going to be extremely put out.  i'm waiting to see what that means. 

johninsj wrote:

mark.f.masters wrote:

johninsj wrote:

mark.f.masters wrote:

there's always a risk.  by that logic, they should do no updates.  furthermore, there will always be some phones under waranty, so.....

also, many many, the majority of service providers released over the air with no problem.  maybe att could not figure out how to strip out data sense and fm radio....

also, as i recall, you were going to be extremely put out.  i'm waiting to see what that means. 

323 of 520 (3,009 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2013 8:39:01 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

mark.f.masters wrote:

johninsj wrote:

mark.f.masters wrote:

johninsj wrote:

mark.f.masters wrote:

I am put out. Extreamly.

My logic is this - we have no idea why it was delayed. If it failed testing, then that's why. If it's all some odd scheme to force 920 owners to pay full retail to buy new lumias, then that's the dumbest plan since shutting down the government becuase... oh, wait. That's the second dumbest plan I have heard tonight.

I had hoped Nokia had enough pull to get this done. And that AT&T would be very open about the process.

Hope. It's a Demon B.

Anyway. Here we are. Be mad. I'm mad. Not useful in any way, but often satisfying.

mark.f.masters wrote:

johninsj wrote:

mark.f.masters wrote:

johninsj wrote:

mark.f.masters wrote:

I am put out. Extreamly.

My logic is this - we have no idea why it was delayed. If it failed testing, then that's why. If it's all some odd scheme to force 920 owners to pay full retail to buy new lumias, then that's the dumbest plan since shutting down the government becuase... oh, wait. That's the second dumbest plan I have heard tonight.

I had hoped Nokia had enough pull to get this done. And that AT&T would be very open about the process.

Hope. It's a Demon B.

Anyway. Here we are. Be mad. I'm mad. Not useful in any way, but often satisfying.

324 of 520 (2,954 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2013 10:53:11 PM
(0)
Scholar

While you're asking yourself why they are purposely delaying the Lumia 920 update, see if you can figure out why they flat out denied updates for the HTC Surround and HTC Titan.  AT&T received all of the updates from HTC all the way to 7.8 but never released anything beyond 7.5 build 7740.  We were plagued with the disappearing keyboard issue the entire life of the phone as well as other bugs even though the patches were provided to them.  EVERY OTHER CARRIER that carried these devices updated them all the way through.  AT&T kept promising to release one big update to give us all the little updates.  That never happened. 

So if you trust AT&T to support your device with updates as long as they are provided to them, THAT is the dumbest thing I've heard tonight.  On AT&T, updates are never "late" they are strategically delayed.  If Amber/GDR2 was an issue, they wouldn't have other devices running it at all.  

While you're asking yourself why they are purposely delaying the Lumia 920 update, see if you can figure out why they flat out denied updates for the HTC Surround and HTC Titan.  AT&T received all of the updates from HTC all the way to 7.8 but never released anything beyond 7.5 build 7740.  We were plagued with the disappearing keyboard issue the entire life of the phone as well as other bugs even though the patches were provided to them.  EVERY OTHER CARRIER that carried these devices updated them all the way through.  AT&T kept promising to release one big update to give us all the little updates.  That never happened. 

So if you trust AT&T to support your device with updates as long as they are provided to them, THAT is the dumbest thing I've heard tonight.  On AT&T, updates are never "late" they are strategically delayed.  If Amber/GDR2 was an issue, they wouldn't have other devices running it at all.  

325 of 520 (2,853 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 1, 2013 4:54:11 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

McHale72 wrote:

While you're asking yourself why they are purposely delaying the Lumia 920 update, see if you can figure out why they flat out denied updates for the HTC Surround and HTC Titan.  

I had a Titan. I put the updates on that one myself.

Like I said a few posts back - I wait for the update, and if it doesn't appear (or if I need some feature badly and cannot wait then accept the risk) do it myself.

Did you not read that post?

McHale72 wrote:

While you're asking yourself why they are purposely delaying the Lumia 920 update, see if you can figure out why they flat out denied updates for the HTC Surround and HTC Titan.  

I had a Titan. I put the updates on that one myself.

Like I said a few posts back - I wait for the update, and if it doesn't appear (or if I need some feature badly and cannot wait then accept the risk) do it myself.

Did you not read that post?

326 of 520 (2,719 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 1, 2013 9:15:43 AM
(0)
Tutor

The waiting continues...

The waiting continues...

327 of 520 (2,457 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply

328 of 520 (2,357 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 1, 2013 11:21:38 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by mopinla on Oct 1, 2013 at 11:25:07 AM

shoe wrote:
Relax

http://www.wpcentral.com/att-gdr2-coming-lumia-920-coming-weeks

You've just posted a link which reports on what a customer "service" rep said in this very forum.  It's not news if we heard it here first.  Let's see how recursive we can get!

shoe wrote:
Relax

http://www.wpcentral.com/att-gdr2-coming-lumia-920-coming-weeks

You've just posted a link which reports on what a customer "service" rep said in this very forum.  It's not news if we heard it here first.  Let's see how recursive we can get!

[ Edited ]
329 of 520 (2,327 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 1, 2013 12:32:40 PM
(0)
Professor
You know we went thru this with Windows Phone 7 and now with Windows phone 8
We all cried and complained with 7 and now with 8 hey it isn't going to
change a thing. We will get it when AT&T is ready
You know we went thru this with Windows Phone 7 and now with Windows phone 8
We all cried and complained with 7 and now with 8 hey it isn't going to
change a thing. We will get it when AT&T is ready

330 of 520 (2,231 Views)