Wireless Forums

Posted Jul 29, 2013
4:11:07 PM
View profile
Where's The GDR2/Amber Update... Any Schedule?

Ok ATT, when is GDR2 going to be released for the Nokia 920 (and all the other phones).

-taylor

519 replies
(19) Me too
(19) Me too
Replies
(519)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2013 3:15:44 PM
(0)
Voyager

This is the end of September and still no word from att

This is the end of September and still no word from att

Re: Where's GDR2 / GDR3

290 of 520 (1,835 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2013 3:21:31 PM
(0)
Contributor

You won't like this any more than I do, but I have a "friend of a friend" who flat-out states that AT&T will NOT release ANY updates for WP8. I would normally not put much stock in this but it is from a source who told me the same thing about WP7, as well as a few other things that turned out to be true. He also says WP in general is pretty much a joke to AT&T, they will just settle for selling you a new phone.

You won't like this any more than I do, but I have a "friend of a friend" who flat-out states that AT&T will NOT release ANY updates for WP8. I would normally not put much stock in this but it is from a source who told me the same thing about WP7, as well as a few other things that turned out to be true. He also says WP in general is pretty much a joke to AT&T, they will just settle for selling you a new phone.

291 of 520 (1,832 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2013 3:25:40 PM
(0)
Professor
BULL
BULL

292 of 520 (1,829 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2013 3:41:30 PM
(0)
Mentor

shoe wrote:
BULL

idk, its starting to seem likely to me.  this is why microsoft should never have given sole control of updates to att.  think about the awful next program.  that removes phone ownership. if they can drive us to that....bigger profits. 

shoe wrote:
BULL

idk, its starting to seem likely to me.  this is why microsoft should never have given sole control of updates to att.  think about the awful next program.  that removes phone ownership. if they can drive us to that....bigger profits. 

294 of 520 (1,823 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2013 5:36:40 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

dcb30 wrote:

You won't like this any more than I do, but I have a "friend of a friend" who flat-out states that AT&T will NOT release ANY updates for WP8.

This is untrue. They already have released one update on the 920, and this one will release - yes, it's now offically late. Yes, they should say something. No, they probably won't.

dcb30 wrote:

You won't like this any more than I do, but I have a "friend of a friend" who flat-out states that AT&T will NOT release ANY updates for WP8.

This is untrue. They already have released one update on the 920, and this one will release - yes, it's now offically late. Yes, they should say something. No, they probably won't.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

301 of 520 (4,186 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 1, 2013 10:52:45 AM
(0)
Contributor
When is my Lumia 920 getting this update please.
When is my Lumia 920 getting this update please.

gdr2 update

110 of 520 (13,763 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 1, 2013 11:30:42 AM
(0)
Professor

Nobody knows, but we'll more than likely see something pop up by the end of the month.

Nobody knows, but we'll more than likely see something pop up by the end of the month.

Re: gdr2 update

111 of 520 (13,748 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 1, 2013 8:05:02 PM
(0)
Teacher
Don't worry about it, move on, AT&T doesn't have us 920 users as a high priority so they aren't only taking their time with the update they're staying silent and not even telling us why Rogers and other carriers have already finished testing their updates for the same phone. We don't matter. We are already in contract. New contracts and new users matter. The whole "premier partner" for Windows Phone thing was obviously a joke.
Don't worry about it, move on, AT&T doesn't have us 920 users as a high priority so they aren't only taking their time with the update they're staying silent and not even telling us why Rogers and other carriers have already finished testing their updates for the same phone. We don't matter. We are already in contract. New contracts and new users matter. The whole "premier partner" for Windows Phone thing was obviously a joke.

112 of 520 (13,698 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 2, 2013 9:26:32 AM
(0)
Tutor

Before GDR4 becomes officially available @verizon/tmobile/. I promise.

There's still little chance that you will get it before GDR3 @verizon/tmobile, but I can't guarantee.

There's still little chance that you will get it before GDR3 @verizon/tmobile, but I can't guarantee.

113 of 520 (13,644 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 2, 2013 1:43:07 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

fiedel wrote:

Oh come on... GDR3 hasn't even been released by Microsoft yet. Given it took everyone THREE MONTHS from the release of GDR2 to the first update on any carrier, it's highly unlikely GDR3 is going to be released before the end of September - the unoffical rumored release date for AT&T of the 920 update.

fiedel wrote:

Oh come on... GDR3 hasn't even been released by Microsoft yet. Given it took everyone THREE MONTHS from the release of GDR2 to the first update on any carrier, it's highly unlikely GDR3 is going to be released before the end of September - the unoffical rumored release date for AT&T of the 920 update.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

114 of 520 (13,627 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 4, 2013 12:09:47 PM
(0)
Community Manager

AT&T is working on the latest Windows Phone 8 software update called GDR2 for the Nokia Lumia 820 and Nokia Lumia 920 that includes Nokia’s Amber upgrades.  In an effort to provide our customers with the best upgrade experience possible, all software updates go through rigorous testing before they are released.  We will release the update as soon as testing is complete and hope to have more information to share with you on timing in the near future.  We appreciate your patience.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to let us know!

-Mariana

Rethink Possible

For account specific help, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

AT&T is working on the latest Windows Phone 8 software update called GDR2 for the Nokia Lumia 820 and Nokia Lumia 920 that includes Nokia’s Amber upgrades.  In an effort to provide our customers with the best upgrade experience possible, all software updates go through rigorous testing before they are released.  We will release the update as soon as testing is complete and hope to have more information to share with you on timing in the near future.  We appreciate your patience.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to let us know!

-Mariana

Rethink Possible

For account specific help, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

126 of 520 (12,991 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2013 1:24:53 PM
(0)
Mentor

This copy and pasted boilerplate is getting annoying. "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." (though perhaps that could be applied to me as well.)

This copy and pasted boilerplate is getting annoying. "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." (though perhaps that could be applied to me as well.)

137 of 520 (12,886 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 8, 2013 2:01:37 PM
(0)
Scholar

ATTMarianaCM wrote:

-Mariana

Oh, HI Mariana.  Thanks for the response.  While you are checking on the WP8 update for us, would you mind going back and talking to the same people who promised us the last and final update for our Titans, Titan IIs and Nokia Lumia 900s (Windows Phone 7.8)?  They assured us as we missed all of the updates every other carrier pused that we would get ONE BIG HAPPY UPDATE that included all the necessary updates.  We're still waiting.  

I'm not holding my breath and if you think anybody on these forums believe anything that AT&T says about supporting our devices, you would be wrong.  WAY wrong.  So wrong in fact you should probably find a manager to escalate this issue to because AT&T is getting beaten up on twitter and facebook as well as their own helpless forums.

-Mc

ATTMarianaCM wrote:

-Mariana

Oh, HI Mariana.  Thanks for the response.  While you are checking on the WP8 update for us, would you mind going back and talking to the same people who promised us the last and final update for our Titans, Titan IIs and Nokia Lumia 900s (Windows Phone 7.8)?  They assured us as we missed all of the updates every other carrier pused that we would get ONE BIG HAPPY UPDATE that included all the necessary updates.  We're still waiting.  

I'm not holding my breath and if you think anybody on these forums believe anything that AT&T says about supporting our devices, you would be wrong.  WAY wrong.  So wrong in fact you should probably find a manager to escalate this issue to because AT&T is getting beaten up on twitter and facebook as well as their own helpless forums.

-Mc

149 of 520 (12,575 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2013 8:31:39 AM
(0)
Teacher
Like removing data sense?
Like removing data sense?

179 of 520 (3,450 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 15, 2013 8:42:40 PM
(0)
Mentor

Well said, McHale72 !

Well said, McHale72 !

189 of 520 (3,573 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 20, 2013 11:26:50 AM
(0)
Scholar
Hungry, why wait have a Snickers, its gonna be a while...
Hungry, why wait have a Snickers, its gonna be a while...
Phones Owned (1999-Now): Nokia 5110, 3390, 3520, 6230, 6682, N72, 5800XM, Lumia 800, Lumia 900, Lumia 920 (Currently owned)

225 of 520 (3,089 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 20, 2013 8:04:13 PM
(0)
Mentor

Mariana, it's been waaaaaay too long for a "through rigorous testing", unless you have only one person on the testing team! I am running out of my patience ...

Mariana, it's been waaaaaay too long for a "through rigorous testing", unless you have only one person on the testing team! I am running out of my patience ...

227 of 520 (2,987 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2013 4:05:04 PM
(0)
Mentor
Do like I did and complain to customer service on the phone. Now have a Lumia 1020 with GDR3 for a mere 99 dollars...

Alternately, hold your breath and turn blue waiting for AT&T to take care of you.
Do like I did and complain to customer service on the phone. Now have a Lumia 1020 with GDR3 for a mere 99 dollars...

Alternately, hold your breath and turn blue waiting for AT&T to take care of you.

228 of 520 (2,873 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 22, 2013 8:37:30 AM
(0)
Mentor
Why are they working on GDR2? That came ready to go from Microsoft. The Amber update came from the hardware manufacturer Nokia ready to go also. What's to test? Ahhh hah....it most be the patience of the customers.
Why are they working on GDR2? That came ready to go from Microsoft. The Amber update came from the hardware manufacturer Nokia ready to go also. What's to test? Ahhh hah....it most be the patience of the customers.

229 of 520 (2,780 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 22, 2013 1:26:12 PM
(0)
Tutor

Good point, what is there to test?  Its been tested by the rest of the world already.  Unless ATT is just removing the important features of GDR2.

This is truly disappointing.

Apple released their update last week and it was out the same day.  Microsoft released theirs almost two months ago and its still not available.

The least we could get is some information.  WHEN is it coming would be an excellent start.

Good point, what is there to test?  Its been tested by the rest of the world already.  Unless ATT is just removing the important features of GDR2.

This is truly disappointing.

Apple released their update last week and it was out the same day.  Microsoft released theirs almost two months ago and its still not available.

The least we could get is some information.  WHEN is it coming would be an excellent start.

230 of 520 (2,748 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2013 5:38:19 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

gf1600 wrote:
 WHEN is it coming would be an excellent start.

Sometime in the next 8 days, I would expect.

gf1600 wrote:
 WHEN is it coming would be an excellent start.

Sometime in the next 8 days, I would expect.

231 of 520 (2,608 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2013 9:57:22 AM
(0)
Tutor

My point is that I would like ATT to SAY it.  I want them to give us a time frame of the release rather then this silence which they are so good at.

My point is that I would like ATT to SAY it.  I want them to give us a time frame of the release rather then this silence which they are so good at.

233 of 520 (2,537 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2013 12:57:21 PM
(0)
Scholar

I will be surprised if we get it in 7 days.  I also have not seen anything official that it will be out by the end of September.

Maybe we will get it by November.

I will be surprised if we get it in 7 days.  I also have not seen anything official that it will be out by the end of September.

Maybe we will get it by November.

234 of 520 (2,470 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2013 4:37:20 PM
(0)
Mentor
I think we will be lucky to get gdr3 and 8.1.
I think we will be lucky to get gdr3 and 8.1.

236 of 520 (2,403 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 24, 2013 5:17:54 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

gf1600 wrote:

They never do that. They'll annouce it when it's available.

gf1600 wrote:

They never do that. They'll annouce it when it's available.

239 of 520 (2,298 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 24, 2013 5:13:13 PM
(0)
Scholar

McHale72 wrote:

-Mc

Really, you bought phones from AT&T, probably on a two year contract, you had to keep on paying on your contract, the manufacturers developed an update and AT&T could not be bothered to pass it on to the users.

Is that the user experience for  AT&T?

Explain that #2 !

Where is the update for the Titan, Titan II and Lumia 900? In the same basket as ours.

What a partner.

I have a Verizon and Sprint tower I can see from the front porch. nuff said

McHale72 wrote:

-Mc

Really, you bought phones from AT&T, probably on a two year contract, you had to keep on paying on your contract, the manufacturers developed an update and AT&T could not be bothered to pass it on to the users.

Is that the user experience for  AT&T?

Explain that #2 !

Where is the update for the Titan, Titan II and Lumia 900? In the same basket as ours.

What a partner.

I have a Verizon and Sprint tower I can see from the front porch. nuff said

246 of 520 (2,241 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 27, 2013 9:57:34 AM
(0)
Voyager

You expect the GDR 2/Amber release in the next 8 days or you know it will be in the next 8 days? While I've been a loyal ATT customer for many years (ATT/Cingular/back to ATT), this waiting game on updates for phones is ridiculous.

I didn't even get the 7.8 update for my previous phone, the Samsung Focus S. I just plowed along and upgraded my phone to WP8 (Nokia 920) and was told then that updates would be relatively quick after I discussed my dismay in not getting the other.

I took it tongue in cheek seeing that it was a store representative that may not have been as astute on the process as they may have liked me to believe, but that was back in June. It's now almost October and nothing from ATT!!!

While Verizon, T-Mobile and a number of European, Asian and Australian telecoms have gotten the update, I sit and wait - in disgust, mind you.

So I'd like to know if what you're stating is a fact and I can expect it in the next three days (since it is 27/9/13) or are you blowing smoke?

You expect the GDR 2/Amber release in the next 8 days or you know it will be in the next 8 days? While I've been a loyal ATT customer for many years (ATT/Cingular/back to ATT), this waiting game on updates for phones is ridiculous.

I didn't even get the 7.8 update for my previous phone, the Samsung Focus S. I just plowed along and upgraded my phone to WP8 (Nokia 920) and was told then that updates would be relatively quick after I discussed my dismay in not getting the other.

I took it tongue in cheek seeing that it was a store representative that may not have been as astute on the process as they may have liked me to believe, but that was back in June. It's now almost October and nothing from ATT!!!

While Verizon, T-Mobile and a number of European, Asian and Australian telecoms have gotten the update, I sit and wait - in disgust, mind you.

So I'd like to know if what you're stating is a fact and I can expect it in the next three days (since it is 27/9/13) or are you blowing smoke?

265 of 520 (1,908 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 29, 2013 7:33:48 AM
(0)
Scholar

So, that is another phone where the update was mada available to AT&T and it was never passed on to the users, SAmsung Focus S. Add it to the list of the Lumia 900, Titan and Titan II.

So, that is another phone where the update was mada available to AT&T and it was never passed on to the users, SAmsung Focus S. Add it to the list of the Lumia 900, Titan and Titan II.

280 of 520 (1,890 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2013 9:22:40 AM
(0)
Teacher
I've done some checking across several WP websites and even checked on Nokia's Update page, but no word on exactly when. Nokia promised it by the end of September, through both official and unofficial channels according to some blog sites like WP Central. But with AT&T, you never know. All AT&T NL920 owners can hope that it will arrive on time (i.e. Monday). Keep your fingers crossed and in the mean time, sport that Lumia in front of your friends and take some great photographs.
I've done some checking across several WP websites and even checked on Nokia's Update page, but no word on exactly when. Nokia promised it by the end of September, through both official and unofficial channels according to some blog sites like WP Central. But with AT&T, you never know. All AT&T NL920 owners can hope that it will arrive on time (i.e. Monday). Keep your fingers crossed and in the mean time, sport that Lumia in front of your friends and take some great photographs.

286 of 520 (1,863 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2013 9:25:18 AM
(0)
Teacher
Thank you Mariana. Your post mirrors what I heard from the AT&T Technical Support a couple of days ago. I am patiently waiting on my update. Is there any infromation that you can give on what rigorous testing means exactly? I've been curious as that is the go-to phrase from everyone as of late.
Thank you Mariana. Your post mirrors what I heard from the AT&T Technical Support a couple of days ago. I am patiently waiting on my update. Is there any infromation that you can give on what rigorous testing means exactly? I've been curious as that is the go-to phrase from everyone as of late.

287 of 520 (1,861 Views)