Where's The GDR2/Amber Update... Any Schedule?

Teacher

Where's The GDR2/Amber Update... Any Schedule?

[ Edited ]

Ok ATT, when is GDR2 going to be released for the Nokia 920 (and all the other phones).

-taylor

Message 1 of 520 (37,743 Views)
ACE - Professor

Re: Where's GDR2 / GDR3

mopinla wrote:

johninsj wrote:

They responded several times.

You'll get it. This month. By the end of September.

I'm sorry, but I must have missed where AT&T said we will get it by the end of September.  Nokia has stated that all devices "should" get this by the end of September, but the only thing I've heard from AT&T is "We're so hard at work testing it, we don't know when it will be available."  I'm not sure where your certainty comes from.

No, they said they expect all 920s will have it by the end of September.

http://conversations.nokia.com/2013/08/30/lumia-amber-your-questions-answered/

"With Lumia Amber we expect to have the update arriving in all Lumia Windows Phone 8 phones by the end of September."

I expect that means they will address any issues raised by AT&T by then.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. I also said AT&T doesn't announce release dates for updates, and you'll get it when you get it, so all I know is what you know. If you *NEED* it and can't wait, you have options. Not great ones, but you have them.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 205 of 520 (4,514 Views)
Scholar

Same thing happened with the WP 7.8 update, it took 4 months. Why wait have a "Snickers"...
Message 215 of 520 (4,272 Views)
Tutor

where is the amber update

Why has att just completely dropped the ball on the Nokia amber update? Every other provider and country has it and I still haven't got it and its been two months since it released.

this is shameful to claim to be the best and fall so short. 24 hrs more than the update release is unacceptable. Quit tampering with the update and release it already
Message 219 of 520 (4,229 Views)
ACE - Professor

Re: where is the amber update

We already have three topics on this which rehash it over and over. Could you just post in one of them?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 222 of 520 (4,147 Views)
Scholar

Lets those topics be posted so at&t can see what we are all waiting for. If there's a page full of gdr2/3 topics, then at&t is gonna have to do something about it...
Message 224 of 520 (4,033 Views)
ACE - Professor

EJ86 wrote:
Lets those topics be posted so at&t can see what we are all waiting for. If there's a page full of gdr2/3 topics, then at&t is gonna have to do something about it...

This is a user to user forum, not an AT&T support forum. I doubt the same handful of people posting over and over is going to make things go any faster.

And yes, I too await the update. But I'm not ready to get the torch and pitchfork. If they miss end of September then I "shall be very put out"

Message 226 of 520 (3,939 Views)

John:

Can we expect you to be the first one expressing your outrage on October 1st?

Best,

Fred.

Message 232 of 520 (3,588 Views)
ACE - Professor

Fred Bilitnikoff wrote:

John:

Can we expect you to be the first one expressing your outrage on October 1st?

"If it is otherwise I shall be very put out" to paraphrase Prince Humperdinck. That doesn't mean it won't happen, just that it will be counter to everything anyone could know. AT&T has publicly commented that they are "testing" and Nokia has publicly commented that all 920s are expected to have the update by the end of September. That's all we have to go on.

Message 240 of 520 (3,304 Views)

We have more than that to go on, John: we have AT&T's poor record on these matters.  The cynicism seen here and elsewhere has been well earned by them.  Nevertheless, I hope you're right.

Message 241 of 520 (3,342 Views)
Voyager

I spoke with an AT&T tech support representative yesterday. He said he didn't expect the update to be available until around the end of October and acknowledged that AT&T is horribly slow about these things. There are instructions online for installing the Roger's updated ROM onto your AT&T Lumia 920, but I don't personally know anyone who has tried it. AT&T's service in this area is abysmal, historically, and I don't expect this time around to be any different.
Message 242 of 520 (3,256 Views)
Mentor

The cynicism is seen in every forum of every carrier.  AT&T is no different.  We got the phone first, the update last.  Verizon got the phone last, but the update first.  In Sprints forum it's, wait a sec, there's a Windows Phone 8???  T-Mobile customers are waiting for Carly to come back. 

If you leave AT&T and go to Verizon...who are you hurting.  In 18 months you leave Verizon and go to T-Mobile.  Then what.  We already know Android is no different.  So, we all need to buy an iPhone with Sprint. 

This is all about Money.  Nothing else.  They want you to buy a new phone if at all possible.  They do NOT want to support any phone not released in the last 30 days, unless it says iPhone.  Every minute spent thinking about a 920 is lost money and time for AT&T. 

I went into an AT&T store the other day and almost bought a 925.  At the last minute I said...Are you nuts....and walked out.  I was gonna buy a new phone just to get GDR2 and Amber.  Ha!

Its about money and only money.  Your good will and thoughts, translated into Mobile Carrier speak is Your money means more to us than anything else.  Give us your money and we'll be happy.  Translations may vary depending native language.

get this...if they go too much further...then they will post GDR3 instead.  It's supposed to out before xmas....so, what the heck. 

Money...think Money. 

Message 245 of 520 (3,148 Views)
Tutor

I updated my Lumia 920 branded AT&T phone. The full instructions how to do it are here

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2401226

Went completey smooth. Phone works great except for one small issue. There is a weird workaround for tethering not working. This workaround is "sensitive" to say the least. I fiddled with some options and lost it. Supposedly you can get it back through a reset though I haven't tried yet. There is also an app called Tether X that completely circumvents having to pay for tethering. But I haven't tried that either since flashing my phone. So other than that issue, phone works perfectly fine. In fact with AT&T's bloat gone, it's seems to respond much faster.

One more thing. The backup feature only works if you sign in when you are first prompted. If you don't sign in right then and there, there is no other option to restore your data.

Thinking hard about Verizon or T-Mobile. The wife was so looking forward to getting a new iphone come November. But AT&T switched her eligibility from 18 months to 24. She was livid.  They offered her the Next plan but that's a total joke. But if you're a new customer, you get a massive discount. I don't know why AT&T insists on treating its current customers like crap. Been with them 10 years. Smiley Sad

Message 247 of 520 (3,030 Views)
Tutor

I love Nokias and used them for years. I just paid for it out of pocket,  and bypassed any contract with AT&T. But when they got the Lumias I was pretty stoked because I think Nokia makes the best phones period, and Windows did a decent job with the OS. So I got the Lumia and went back on contract. Got the 900 for free and the 920 for $100. But that's advantageous to no one but AT&T. I liked the freedom of an unlocked, unbranded phone.

But man once upon a time AT&T was very accomodating to us on a variety of issues. But that seems to be a thing of the past.

Message 248 of 520 (3,028 Views)
Voyager

This works.
Message 264 of 520 (2,581 Views)

To make matters worse, you're making decision to disable DATA SENSE which is included with GDR2 from NOKIA. Why are you being soooooo STUPID?

Please, be respectful and no name calling; you might hurt someone's feelings at AT&T, as they care deeply about how their customers think of them. I also disagree with your assessment that disabling Data Sense is stupid. It's actually pretty smart: if you're not aware of your data usage, you're more likely to exceed your limit, and when you do, guess what? Fees! Sorry, that's revenue for AT&T, money taken out of your pocket, into theirs. Why would they need to do otherwise when most of you are already on contract, and can't leave without paying ETF? This is not only smart, it's brilliant.

Instead of focusing on what you want or what other customers want, please think of the other side. Think of Randy Stephenson, an employee and CEO of AT&T, who only made $21 million in 2012. If you do not keep paying for data overages, you might be taking money out of his pocket! Not only could this be considered stealing, he has a family to feed, and children to raise. Please, think of the children before you make unreasonable requests of AT&T.

Message 277 of 520 (2,565 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.