Ask a question

Posted Jul 29, 2013
    4:11:07 PM
    View profile
    Where's The GDR2/Amber Update... Any Schedule?

Ok ATT, when is GDR2 going to be released for the Nokia 920 (and all the other phones).

-taylor

519 replies
    (19) Me too
    (19) Me too
    View all replies
    (519)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 25, 2013 8:48:38 AM
    (0)
    Scholar

There is a rumor on WPCentral that Nokia has pulled the update.  Supposidly they have put it on hold until Ocotober 7th for general release by October 21st.

Which would be along the same lines as the previous poster's response from CS.

It doesn't make sense to me at all...why they can push it out on new phones but it is not available for the "flagship" phone.

Re: Where's The GDR2 Update... Any Schedule?

249 of 520 (3,925 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 25, 2013 2:04:13 PM
    (0)
    Voyager
    Edited by cathy2981 on Sep 25, 2013 at 3:11:40 PM

I raise the 

[Inappropriate content removed]

flag on the extensive testing. Either AT&T is incompetent or they are trying to find a way to screw their customers. This update should of been available weeks ago.

[ Edited ]
    250 of 520 (3,781 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 25, 2013 4:41:53 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Mentor

lylone wrote:

There is a rumor on WPCentral that Nokia has pulled the update.  Supposidly they have put it on hold until Ocotober 7th for general release by October 21st.

It doesn't make sense to me at all...why they can push it out on new phones but it is not available for the "flagship" phone.

i don't believe the rumor.  probably started by AT&T.

251 of 520 (3,721 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 25, 2013 5:02:55 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Professor
    Edited by johninsj on Sep 25, 2013 at 5:03:52 PM

lylone wrote:

Could be a simple problem with the "update" vs a "new install" (ie, new devices ship with a clean new image) borking things. There were more than a few reports of devices getting bricked in the update process.

Anyway, sounds like I should be prepared to be "very put out", if this rumor is true. I'm not hungering for the update, but it sure will be disappointing to those who are if this comes to pass. Still, if it is due to the bricking, you'd probably be happier not bricking your phone.

Meh. Guess we wait for more info from Nokia if this is the case.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
    252 of 520 (3,705 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 26, 2013 12:17:03 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Mentor
    Translated from ATT speak into 920 language...iPhone launch is going great...920 mind your manors and respect your betters

253 of 520 (3,328 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 26, 2013 12:33:03 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Mentor
    I want that FM radio....

254 of 520 (3,309 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 26, 2013 1:30:21 PM
    (0)
    Scholar

lylone wrote:

I just went through the recent posts at wpcentral in the Lumia 920 section. I found no rumors of Nokia  putting the update on hold.

Give a link.

255 of 520 (3,272 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 26, 2013 4:27:20 PM
    (0)
    Scholar

Put your glasses on and maybe read again?

http://forums.wpcentral.com/nokia-lumia-920/238465-22.htm

Post #549

"So here is what's really going on.  During some of the GDR2+Amber roll outs on other 920 carriers there have been some issues.  Nokia put a freeze on the update and is making corrections.  This corrected release should receive technical acceptance by 10/7 and be out to everyone by 10/21.  I know it sucks as I'm waiting on this update as much as anyone but at least we now know what's going on.  I just wish Nokia or AT&T would have made a public statement instead of me having to go through my contacts at both"

and read post #552

256 of 520 (3,203 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 26, 2013 5:10:59 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Professor

"bpmurr" I am sure is a trustworthy source, and no doubt he/she has accurate info.

I think using rumor for this is accurate. Even so, if it's true I'd say it's good news - no hold up by the evil empire, rather the testing actually turned up an issue which needed to be resolved. So we end up with a better update, later, instead of less good one, sooner?

Winning?

"May I live a thousand years and never hunt again!"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

257 of 520 (3,175 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 26, 2013 6:25:44 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Mentor
    I don't buy the rumor. Here's why: they say it is specific to the 920. If that's the case, why no release for 820? Second, I have read of no bricks through update. Only bricks through incredibly crazy "new install". Furthermore, AT&T has a tram record of not releasing updates. Nokia should just accidentally release it for us to download. If we are technically savvy, we will be able to install.

258 of 520 (3,147 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 26, 2013 6:37:16 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Teacher
    That's what I thought when I tweeted Nokia Care last night....

"No. You cannot get the update directly from us. Availability depends on ATTs approval."

Translation: Hurry Up and Wait.

259 of 520 (3,141 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 27, 2013 3:12:19 AM
    (0)
    Professor

mark.f.masters wrote:
    I don't buy the rumor. Here's why: they say it is specific to the 920. If that's the case, why no release for 820? Second, I have read of no bricks through update. Only bricks through incredibly crazy "new install". Furthermore, AT&T has a tram record of not releasing updates. Nokia should just accidentally release it for us to download. If we are technically savvy, we will be able to install.

I think we all cried a little when Navifirm went away.

260 of 520 (3,018 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 27, 2013 5:24:29 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Professor

mark.f.masters wrote:
    Second, I have read of no bricks through update.

HTC had a lot of trouble with their GDR2 update bricking some 8xs

http://www.wpcentral.com/htc-8xs-locking-after-gdr2-update-reports

So it's not unheard of.

261 of 520 (2,985 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 27, 2013 5:26:08 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Mentor

bez2083 wrote:
    That's what I thought when I tweeted Nokia Care last night....

"No. You cannot get the update directly from us. Availability depends on ATTs approval."

Translation: Hurry Up and Wait.

and that's the depressing thought, that availability depends on ATT, which means that all delays are ATT's fault.

regardless, i did not expect nokia to officially give it to us, rather just leak it by accident.  oops. (take that ATT slackers)

262 of 520 (2,986 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 27, 2013 5:29:22 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Mentor

johninsj wrote:

mark.f.masters wrote:
    Second, I have read of no bricks through update.

HTC had a lot of trouble with their GDR2 update bricking some 8xs

http://www.wpcentral.com/htc-8xs-locking-after-gdr2-update-reports

So it's not unheard of.

except that is the htc 8x not nokia 920.  and att released that one.  a lot more nokia 920's with no reports of bricking o have seen.  furthermore, ios 7 has been reported to brick iphones, i don't see that halting....

dont applogize for ATT.  they don't deserve.

263 of 520 (2,984 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 27, 2013 10:05:43 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Tutor
    For my 2 cents; last week I said screw it and followed a helpful guide on windows phone central... No issues what so ever with the gdr2/amber update on my Lumia 920. I bring this up only to illustrate the fact there is nothing wrong with the update regardless what ATT says. They are probably just having trouble removing datasense (yup that works great too). Even money they stall until GDR3.

266 of 520 (2,754 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 27, 2013 10:21:44 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Teacher

I installed the AT&T Developer ROM and it runs w/o any issues whatsoever.

Usually the people who brick their devices tend to be those individuals who don't follow the directions on XDA/WPCentral...

But to get back on topic, this is just ridiculous that AT&T won't release the GDR2/Amber update. This is not a "testing" issue, this is a poor device support/trying to move new devices issue...once again AT&T proves that they have no concern for their customers

267 of 520 (2,735 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 27, 2013 1:49:12 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Mentor

You're a scholar so I won't disagree with you.  The GDR2 update hasn't thrown any issues at the other lumia's, to date.  However, we are talking about the 920.  Globally the 920 hasn' t produced any problems that we know of, yet, there is still the unresolved issue of bricked 920's on reset. 

thinking about the numbers I have heard about, you take a 15% chance of bricking your 920 by doing a Hard Reset.  Now, I don't know if this is a rumor or if it has any inkling of accuracy.  I will say this number came directly from a friend at Microsoft.  So, at the very least, someone is aware of this issue.

With that said, doing an update on this device, couldn, concievably, lead to bricked devices.

Since AT&Twas the first carrier with the 920, perhaps...I said perhaps....the newer 920's do not have this Hard Reset issue.  

I also know that AT&T works more closely with MS on builds than any other carrier.  They have been testing builds for months.  But the Technical acceptance falls outside of this testing.  An issue that may not have been fixed that is specific to AT&T could indeed be  a hold up.  And this would be in no way related to any other carriers release of the GDR2...becuase its specific to AT&T hardware. 

268 of 520 (2,582 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 27, 2013 2:28:08 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Mentor
    I don't think AT&T's Nokia 920 is significantly different from others. So I don't buy that argument.

269 of 520 (2,545 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 27, 2013 3:00:15 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Mentor
    How significant does it have to be to brick?

If you knew that every time you reset your phone you had X% chance of a brick....would you do it? often?

having worked with these people before and knowing that an official update, within the 1 yr warranty period, on this phone with a known risk of bricking, expands their liability....would they leap onto this without something to protect them.....

Just saying

270 of 520 (2,524 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 27, 2013 3:16:36 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Tutor
    @ alodar1,

devils advocate argument... I have no doubt that a multi-billion/multi-national company like ATT has the "golden tongue". They could argue waiting for windows phone 8.1 if it suited their purposes. Don't you find it odd that numerous Lumia (ATT) owners report zero issues regarding the GDR2 update?

271 of 520 (2,710 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 28, 2013 5:53:45 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Mentor

alodar1 wrote:
    How significant does it have to be to brick?

If you knew that every time you reset your phone you had X% chance of a brick....would you do it? often?

having worked with these people before and knowing that an official update, within the 1 yr warranty period, on this phone with a known risk of bricking, expands their liability....would they leap onto this without something to protect them.....

Just saying

except that people reset Their phones for random reasons anyway.  so the question is whether that will happen.  however, by that same argument, they would strongly oppose the iphones update.  also, AT&T apparently has a track record of not updating their customers' phones.  i recall my last windows mobile phone on verizon...an update was released by manufacturer, i could directly download it from the manufacturer, but verizon never released it. 

these so called service providers are not wonderful when it comes to supporting their customers.  apple got at least this right: bypass them for updates. 

272 of 520 (2,484 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 28, 2013 7:17:31 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Teacher

Taking bets that this doesn't happen before end of September as some on here have claimed.

1 more business day in September.

273 of 520 (2,459 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 28, 2013 7:27:57 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Professor

robharris99 wrote:

Taking bets that this doesn't happen before end of September as some on here have claimed.

1 more business day in September.

All I claim is what I read here and elsewhere, so take that for what it's worth.

I have no insider info. But yeah, let's hope for an awesome monday. Or at least, on Monday, some statement from Nokia or AT&T about the delay.

274 of 520 (2,457 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 28, 2013 8:58:45 AM
    (0)
    Explorer
    Edited by F0REM4N on Sep 28, 2013 at 8:59:22 AM

I think some people are offput not that you have restated the rumored dates, but only you seem to be very chill about waiting for something that the majority of people who bought the exact same product as you already enjoy. Yeah it's just an update with some basic fixes and features, but doesn't it irk you that someone on a diferent carrier already enjoys those features (and has for sometime) for the lone reason your carrier can't ge their act together? Or thte fact that AT&T offers zero communication to its customers about the update approval stauts/process?

I wish I didn't care about this, but I do. I think it's a valid concern as a customer paying a $200+ bill for the service. 

[ Edited ]
    275 of 520 (2,412 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 28, 2013 1:31:13 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Professor

F0REM4N wrote:

I think some people are offput not that you have restated the rumored dates, but only you seem to be very chill about waiting for something that the majority of people who bought the exact same product as you already enjoy. Yeah it's just an update with some basic fixes and features, but doesn't it irk you that someone on a diferent carrier already enjoys those features (and has for sometime) for the lone reason your carrier can't ge their act together? Or thte fact that AT&T offers zero communication to its customers about the update approval stauts/process?

I wish I didn't care about this, but I do. I think it's a valid concern as a customer paying a $200+ bill for the service. 

I've been through this enough times with enough phone OSes and enough carriers to realize you only have three choices

1) get angry

2) wait

3) do something yourself to get it

1 doesn't accomplish anything other than to make you angry

3 is what I do if I have to have the update, or after (2) it becomes clear it will never happen (as was the case with the HTC Titan and most every 7.x update... I did all those myself)

So that leaves 2. In this case I'm nearly certain that we will, sometime, get this update. I'm reasonably hopeful we will get GDR3, as well. After that, not so sure more updates will come for the 920, but it's at least conceivable.

This isn't much different than the Android phone space... rapid revs of hardware mean poor support. The alternative, iOS/iPhone, is so darn slow on hardware revs (two years, really, between major revs) that you get a good 4 years of life out of a device, and about that long for supporting OS upgrades. Although I won't even dream of trying to run iOS7 on an iPhone 4.

So here we are, waiting. We got the phone first. People on other carriers had to wait several months to even get the option of getting a 92x. So now, I end up waiting a few weeks more than my VZ brothers to get the update. Sometimes you're the fire hydrant, sometimes you're the dog. It's the way it is. Yeah, it sucks. Yeah, it would be great if Microsoft could dictate terms to AT&T to sidestep carriers and go direct for major updates. We're not there.

For me, I think the way forward is to go with the "upgrade the device every year" plan. Costs a little more. Alway get the latest OS on whatever device you have. Problem solved.

276 of 520 (2,317 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 28, 2013 6:10:27 PM
    (0)
    Voyager

"For me, I think the way forward is to go with the "upgrade the device every year" plan. Costs a little more. Alway get the latest OS on whatever device you have. Problem solved."

Aye, but therein is the sticking point. Plays right in to the profit models of AT&T and the manufacturers at one and the same time!

278 of 520 (2,228 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 29, 2013 5:55:12 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Professor

yerreallykiddingright wrote:

"For me, I think the way forward is to go with the "upgrade the device every year" plan. Costs a little more. Alway get the latest OS on whatever device you have. Problem solved."

Aye, but therein is the sticking point. Plays right in to the profit models of AT&T and the manufacturers at one and the same time!

True. If you want the latest every year, it will either cost a LOT more (current price model) or a little more (Next)

If I am going to do it anyway, i'd rather do it a little more expensive, vs a LOT more expensive.

279 of 520 (2,029 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 29, 2013 8:59:01 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Teacher

Quite honestly. I'm happy to hear that they are checking things fully. If in fact an issue was found with the update, its better that the issue be fixed before the release. I am sure that most people posting to this forum are proud Windows Phone users like myself. I'm in the same boat as everyone else with my trust NL 920. I have full faith that AT&T has a good reason for all the waiting.

281 of 520 (1,958 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 29, 2013 9:02:52 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Teacher
    Quite frankly, I've been following this WP8 NL920 update thing for a while now. I read several posts on WP Central and on other WP sites stating that the bricking was more prevalent on HTC 8X not NL920s. All over the world on other carriers the NL920s are getting the updates with few to no issues. If there have been issues they have been isolated at best from what I can tell from reading.

282 of 520 (1,957 Views)