Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jul 29, 2013
4:11:07 PM
View profile
Where's The GDR2/Amber Update... Any Schedule?
Edited by ATTDmitriyCM on Oct 1, 2013 at 2:38:41 PM

Ok ATT, when is GDR2 going to be released for the Nokia 920 (and all the other phones).

-taylor

Ok ATT, when is GDR2 going to be released for the Nokia 920 (and all the other phones).

-taylor

Where's The GDR2/Amber Update... Any Schedule?

[ Edited ]
519 replies
(19) Me too
(19) Me too
View all replies
(519)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 9, 2013 1:44:54 PM
(0)
Professor

Now please do not shoot the messenger but I called Ms. Gonzalez from the office of the President the same persion I talket to earlier and she states the latest is that it is still in testing with a release date no later than the end of Sept.

I will not bublish her private number but I will release it to a Mod along with the case number  so they can call her and verify this information for you all

Now please do not shoot the messenger but I called Ms. Gonzalez from the office of the President the same persion I talket to earlier and she states the latest is that it is still in testing with a release date no later than the end of Sept.

I will not bublish her private number but I will release it to a Mod along with the case number  so they can call her and verify this information for you all

Re: Where's The GDR2 Update... Any Schedule?

159 of 520 (4,806 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 9, 2013 4:11:19 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

I don't know how many different ways we can say "by the end of september".

I don't know how many different ways we can say "by the end of september".

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

160 of 520 (4,768 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 9, 2013 5:56:29 PM
(0)
Mentor
Yes, end of September. However, that does not justify AT&T's delays in releasing the update. They should have NOTHING to say about the update. So AT&T's delays make me rethink whether they will be my cellular service much longer. I like my windows phone much more than AT&T. They are functioning in a feature phone mentality when the carrier meant much more. Well I will move to a different one.

Furthermore, this little thing with amber makes WP8.1 seem very questionable.
Yes, end of September. However, that does not justify AT&T's delays in releasing the update. They should have NOTHING to say about the update. So AT&T's delays make me rethink whether they will be my cellular service much longer. I like my windows phone much more than AT&T. They are functioning in a feature phone mentality when the carrier meant much more. Well I will move to a different one.

Furthermore, this little thing with amber makes WP8.1 seem very questionable.

161 of 520 (4,725 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2013 10:39:14 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by mopinla on Sep 10, 2013 at 12:30:08 PM

I just got an automated call from AT&T asking me to confirm that my recent customer service call (re: GDR2/Amber) was "resolved."  It told me to press 9 for "yes it was resolved," but it didn't tell me which key to press for "up yours, you lying sacks of cow excrement."  I continue to be amazed by the gall of their attempted customer "service."

We have about 20 more days, I guess.

In related news, Apple announced that iOS 7 would be available September 18.  AT&T quickly followed up with a statement that "due to their rigorous testing standards, which are better than anyone else in the industry, iOS 7 will not be available on the AT&T network until some unspecified future date."

I just got an automated call from AT&T asking me to confirm that my recent customer service call (re: GDR2/Amber) was "resolved."  It told me to press 9 for "yes it was resolved," but it didn't tell me which key to press for "up yours, you lying sacks of cow excrement."  I continue to be amazed by the gall of their attempted customer "service."

We have about 20 more days, I guess.

In related news, Apple announced that iOS 7 would be available September 18.  AT&T quickly followed up with a statement that "due to their rigorous testing standards, which are better than anyone else in the industry, iOS 7 will not be available on the AT&T network until some unspecified future date."

[ Edited ]
162 of 520 (4,495 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2013 2:14:58 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by jii on Sep 10, 2013 at 2:16:48 PM

It amazes me how after years and years of this exact same behavior on AT&T's part (they were as notorious for their stalled WM updates then as they are now with their Android and WP updates now), people are still amazed that updates aren't released in a timely manner. It'll come at some point, just wait for it. You know what won't help though? Ranting and raving about it on a user forum. "Oh look at me, I called the office of the President and got the exact same response ..." posts fall into the same boat as well.

If you're really that hard up on getting GDR2, flash the dang thing already. The method has been available for around a month now.

It amazes me how after years and years of this exact same behavior on AT&T's part (they were as notorious for their stalled WM updates then as they are now with their Android and WP updates now), people are still amazed that updates aren't released in a timely manner. It'll come at some point, just wait for it. You know what won't help though? Ranting and raving about it on a user forum. "Oh look at me, I called the office of the President and got the exact same response ..." posts fall into the same boat as well.

If you're really that hard up on getting GDR2, flash the dang thing already. The method has been available for around a month now.

[ Edited ]
163 of 520 (4,382 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2013 2:56:39 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by rrathbun on Sep 10, 2013 at 3:16:18 PM

A quote from Nicole K., your lovely AT&T Social Media Manager

"We hear you, and we know you are eager to update your device. OS updates are tricky, and require a ton of coordination with device manufactures to make sure the latest updates work properly on our network. As soon as we have news to share on the update, we will be sure to let people know. You can follow our @ATT page on Twitter, or check out our new release page at www.att.com/newsroom."

@Nicole

1. No, I don't feel AT&T hears us - just checkout all the people on WPCENTRAL

2. We have been patient, but you fail to understand this breed of customer.

3. Tricky to update? Third world countries have pushed out GDR2 faster!!!

Listen to your customers and start pushing out the firmware already, and plan to make the process go faster in the future please!

A quote from Nicole K., your lovely AT&T Social Media Manager

"We hear you, and we know you are eager to update your device. OS updates are tricky, and require a ton of coordination with device manufactures to make sure the latest updates work properly on our network. As soon as we have news to share on the update, we will be sure to let people know. You can follow our @ATT page on Twitter, or check out our new release page at www.att.com/newsroom."

@Nicole

1. No, I don't feel AT&T hears us - just checkout all the people on WPCENTRAL

2. We have been patient, but you fail to understand this breed of customer.

3. Tricky to update? Third world countries have pushed out GDR2 faster!!!

Listen to your customers and start pushing out the firmware already, and plan to make the process go faster in the future please!

[ Edited ]
164 of 520 (4,361 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2013 3:03:32 PM
(0)
Mentor

@ACE - Professor

If we don't complain, AT&T won't change. If enough people complain or leave altogether, it may cause AT&T to relook at the way they conduct their business.

Bottom line, the customer is why AT&T exists. I am pretty sure this thread would look ugly if a stock analyst wrote about AT&T's poor customer service.

At the end of the day, what you write does mean something! A negative view of AT&T is NOT something any company desires!

SPEAK UP AND BE HEARD!

@ACE - Professor

If we don't complain, AT&T won't change. If enough people complain or leave altogether, it may cause AT&T to relook at the way they conduct their business.

Bottom line, the customer is why AT&T exists. I am pretty sure this thread would look ugly if a stock analyst wrote about AT&T's poor customer service.

At the end of the day, what you write does mean something! A negative view of AT&T is NOT something any company desires!

SPEAK UP AND BE HEARD!

165 of 520 (4,351 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2013 4:58:46 PM
(0)
Teacher
GRD3 is already well into its process and we don't even have GRD2, lol. Oh, ATT...how I love you
GRD3 is already well into its process and we don't even have GRD2, lol. Oh, ATT...how I love you

166 of 520 (4,294 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2013 11:17:38 PM
(0)
Mentor

Still "Waiting for approval"? Seriously?! Smiley Sad

Still "Waiting for approval"? Seriously?! Smiley Sad

167 of 520 (4,170 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2013 6:40:06 AM
(0)
Scholar

Yep, they sure do understand our displeasure.....and direct us to a site that tells us how great they are.

Their testing is because they have to add all their bloatware on the update.  Don't know why they do such things since most of us remove the bloatware anyway...

Yep, they sure do understand our displeasure.....and direct us to a site that tells us how great they are.

Their testing is because they have to add all their bloatware on the update.  Don't know why they do such things since most of us remove the bloatware anyway...

168 of 520 (4,126 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2013 7:42:50 AM
(0)
Mentor
"80072ee2" error message. Cannot check for updates. Is that an overload message?
"80072ee2" error message. Cannot check for updates. Is that an overload message?

169 of 520 (4,093 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2013 7:59:34 AM
(0)
Scholar

I am getting that too..  "We are currently unable to check for updates (80072ee2)"  Maybe we are overloading the servers...  Smiley Wink

I am getting that too..  "We are currently unable to check for updates (80072ee2)"  Maybe we are overloading the servers...  Smiley Wink

170 of 520 (4,076 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2013 1:10:51 PM
(0)
Scholar
I haven't waited this long since the wp7.8 update was being released. Scheduled Oct 2012 and it didn't get released till Jan 2013.
I haven't waited this long since the wp7.8 update was being released. Scheduled Oct 2012 and it didn't get released till Jan 2013.
Phones Owned (1999-Now): Nokia 5110, 3390, 3520, 6230, 6682, N72, 5800XM, Lumia 800, Lumia 900, Lumia 920 (Currently owned)

171 of 520 (3,896 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2013 2:16:32 PM
(0)
Tutor

I did contact her office and was given the same answer. But it does not make any sense the 925 and the 1020 are using the same chipset and they are been sold. I think its at&t not taking care of its customer. They have you under contract so where are you going to go. I bet you if they did not have the stupid contract and have to fight to retain customer they would be doing a better job of trying to hold on to us  

I did contact her office and was given the same answer. But it does not make any sense the 925 and the 1020 are using the same chipset and they are been sold. I think its at&t not taking care of its customer. They have you under contract so where are you going to go. I bet you if they did not have the stupid contract and have to fight to retain customer they would be doing a better job of trying to hold on to us  

172 of 520 (3,852 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2013 3:46:55 PM
(0)
Mentor
We are getting hammered by the update delay.
We are getting hammered by the update delay.

173 of 520 (3,788 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2013 7:27:48 AM
(0)
Mentor
Has anyone heard anything new about the update?
Has anyone heard anything new about the update?

174 of 520 (3,579 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2013 10:15:33 AM
(0)
Teacher
Nope, still "waiting for approval" last time I checked. I would really like to hear of this "rigorous" process that ATT puts the phones through before they release an update.
Nope, still "waiting for approval" last time I checked. I would really like to hear of this "rigorous" process that ATT puts the phones through before they release an update.

175 of 520 (3,501 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2013 10:40:42 AM
(0)
Voyager
The 925 comes out tomorrow. What do you want to bet the update comes right after that?

Or maybe they'll hold it for another week to try to encourage people to buy a new phone.

Wither way it's dumb. Based on my customer service experience, if I buy a 925, it'll be from t mobile.
The 925 comes out tomorrow. What do you want to bet the update comes right after that?

Or maybe they'll hold it for another week to try to encourage people to buy a new phone.

Wither way it's dumb. Based on my customer service experience, if I buy a 925, it'll be from t mobile.

176 of 520 (3,480 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2013 12:20:10 PM
(0)
Scholar
Hopefully something comes out by the end of the month. Nokia's Bandit 1520 is supposed to come out this year, so they can't be behind on their updates...
Hopefully something comes out by the end of the month. Nokia's Bandit 1520 is supposed to come out this year, so they can't be behind on their updates...
Phones Owned (1999-Now): Nokia 5110, 3390, 3520, 6230, 6682, N72, 5800XM, Lumia 800, Lumia 900, Lumia 920 (Currently owned)

177 of 520 (3,429 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2013 6:56:50 PM
(0)
Tutor

I think this kind of hold-up is just another way to keep pushing Apple products. It's really funny how any other platform than Apple is always waiting for approval, but my kids iphone have the update the day it's announced. Gee, why isn't Windows Phones getting more market share in the US?

I think this kind of hold-up is just another way to keep pushing Apple products. It's really funny how any other platform than Apple is always waiting for approval, but my kids iphone have the update the day it's announced. Gee, why isn't Windows Phones getting more market share in the US?

178 of 520 (3,297 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2013 11:39:45 AM
(0)
Tutor
Apple does not go through the carrier for their updates. Those come directly from apple. Why Nokia or Microsoft does not do this I don’t understand.
Apple does not go through the carrier for their updates. Those come directly from apple. Why Nokia or Microsoft does not do this I don’t understand.

180 of 520 (3,049 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2013 11:42:23 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by lylone on Sep 13, 2013 at 11:43:02 AM

How many people do you know that can modify Apple code?  How many do you know that can modify Microsoft code....

There is your answer....ATT has to test their changes....

How many people do you know that can modify Apple code?  How many do you know that can modify Microsoft code....

There is your answer....ATT has to test their changes....

[ Edited ]
181 of 520 (3,403 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2013 11:45:30 AM
(0)
Tutor
This is a joke. They don't need to test anything. They are probably just stripping it of things like data sense. AT&T is a joke. Next time I'm buying the global version of the phone. I'd rather pay more up front for the device than have AT&T continuously try to screw me.
This is a joke. They don't need to test anything. They are probably just stripping it of things like data sense. AT&T is a joke. Next time I'm buying the global version of the phone. I'd rather pay more up front for the device than have AT&T continuously try to screw me.

182 of 520 (3,398 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2013 2:22:18 PM
(0)
Teacher
Yeah, ATT, I want to pay my monthly bill but I am "waiting for approval"
Yeah, ATT, I want to pay my monthly bill but I am "waiting for approval"

183 of 520 (3,317 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2013 2:34:10 PM
(0)
Tutor
Ummm, I can modify code, but by doing this At&t will find a way to use it against me should I have a problem in the future, just like they did w/ my LG Quantum when I updated it to 7.8 for my daughter. If Microsoft created the update w/ Nokia and the only thing I have At&t for is the service lines and their "proprietary apps" what can I possibly be waiting for At%t to test?
Ummm, I can modify code, but by doing this At&t will find a way to use it against me should I have a problem in the future, just like they did w/ my LG Quantum when I updated it to 7.8 for my daughter. If Microsoft created the update w/ Nokia and the only thing I have At&t for is the service lines and their "proprietary apps" what can I possibly be waiting for At%t to test?

184 of 520 (3,310 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 14, 2013 1:47:08 PM
(0)
Tutor
I spoke with a rep today and she said that an issue with the update was filed on August 30th. She said she was checking around and asking supers and all and that they didn't have anymore than that. She also said she would email me if she heard something.

take that for what's it's worth and with a grain of salt.
I spoke with a rep today and she said that an issue with the update was filed on August 30th. She said she was checking around and asking supers and all and that they didn't have anymore than that. She also said she would email me if she heard something.

185 of 520 (2,962 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 15, 2013 1:59:50 PM
(0)
Teacher

This delay is beyond stupid. T-Mobile and Verizon have already released the thing. Is AT&T honestly trying to tell us that the update is more difficult for them to process than these other carriers?

Get it together AT&T. This is ridiculously poor customer service. The LEAST you can do is get out of the way.

GDR3 isn't far away...I might as well start complaining about it not being available too.

This delay is beyond stupid. T-Mobile and Verizon have already released the thing. Is AT&T honestly trying to tell us that the update is more difficult for them to process than these other carriers?

Get it together AT&T. This is ridiculously poor customer service. The LEAST you can do is get out of the way.

GDR3 isn't far away...I might as well start complaining about it not being available too.

186 of 520 (2,706 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 15, 2013 6:15:28 PM
(0)
Scholar

DJKeens wrote:

AT&T has had the update since at least Aug 15. That is when Nokia put up the global status page and that is how long it has been sitting at 'waiting for approval'.  Is the info you get from AT&T the truth?

http://www.nokia.com/global/support/software-update/wp8-software-update/availability-in-north-americ...

DJKeens wrote:

AT&T has had the update since at least Aug 15. That is when Nokia put up the global status page and that is how long it has been sitting at 'waiting for approval'.  Is the info you get from AT&T the truth?

http://www.nokia.com/global/support/software-update/wp8-software-update/availability-in-north-america/

187 of 520 (2,644 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 15, 2013 6:41:45 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by Taylarie on Sep 15, 2013 at 7:30:20 PM

absolutely correct.  my trust in att is broken.  i have a friend on verizon with an 822.  he got the update weeks ago.  no issues.  so i dont believe that hogwash of having issues on august 30.  perhaps it was the htc 8x?  but why should i care.  we'll be lucky to get gdr3 let alone gdr2.

here is a thought: the phone hardware is our property.  we pay for it over time.  the update is not theirs to choose to give or withold.  its like an autodealer refusing to honor a manufacturer recall.  that is bullwinkle and i think a [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate]. how to do it?

absolutely correct.  my trust in att is broken.  i have a friend on verizon with an 822.  he got the update weeks ago.  no issues.  so i dont believe that hogwash of having issues on august 30.  perhaps it was the htc 8x?  but why should i care.  we'll be lucky to get gdr3 let alone gdr2.

here is a thought: the phone hardware is our property.  we pay for it over time.  the update is not theirs to choose to give or withold.  its like an autodealer refusing to honor a manufacturer recall.  that is bullwinkle and i think a [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate]. how to do it?

[ Edited ]
188 of 520 (2,634 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 15, 2013 10:08:48 PM
(0)
Mentor
Just exactly how are the newer phones working okay with the updates or are they having troubles not being reported? Come on AT&T!
Just exactly how are the newer phones working okay with the updates or are they having troubles not being reported? Come on AT&T!

190 of 520 (2,570 Views)