Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jul 29, 2013
4:11:07 PM
View profile
Where's The GDR2/Amber Update... Any Schedule?
Edited by ATTDmitriyCM on Oct 1, 2013 at 2:38:41 PM

Ok ATT, when is GDR2 going to be released for the Nokia 920 (and all the other phones).

-taylor

Ok ATT, when is GDR2 going to be released for the Nokia 920 (and all the other phones).

-taylor

Where's The GDR2/Amber Update... Any Schedule?

[ Edited ]
519 replies
(19) Me too
(19) Me too
View all replies
(519)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 4, 2013 1:49:36 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

ravikath24 wrote:

I've seen someone bany about endo of September date, but Nokia had inidicated that this was the latest for update to Amber/GDR2 for all phones. Considering that they are doing a tiered release, the 920 should be among the first phones updated...

Nokia said ALL WP8 devices will be updated on ALL carriers no later than end of september. This includes the 920 on AT&T. But it will probably be sooner. Still, we have a firm latest date.

ravikath24 wrote:

I've seen someone bany about endo of September date, but Nokia had inidicated that this was the latest for update to Amber/GDR2 for all phones. Considering that they are doing a tiered release, the 920 should be among the first phones updated...

Nokia said ALL WP8 devices will be updated on ALL carriers no later than end of september. This includes the 920 on AT&T. But it will probably be sooner. Still, we have a firm latest date.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Where's The GDR2 Update... Any Schedule?

127 of 520 (13,122 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 4, 2013 8:38:14 PM
(0)
Mentor

AT&T,

This is PATHETIC!

I am so dissatisfied with AT&T dragging feet on updating the Lumia 920 firmware. I have a family plan and a corporate account and intend to change both of them as soon as possible.

Ever hear of keeping the customer happy with prompt service? Saying the firmware is still in testing is just plain bull at this point.

A VERY UNHAPPY AT&T CUSTOMER WITH MULTIPLE PHONES!!!!

SOON TO BE A FORMER AT&T CUSTOMER!!!!

AT&T,

This is PATHETIC!

I am so dissatisfied with AT&T dragging feet on updating the Lumia 920 firmware. I have a family plan and a corporate account and intend to change both of them as soon as possible.

Ever hear of keeping the customer happy with prompt service? Saying the firmware is still in testing is just plain bull at this point.

A VERY UNHAPPY AT&T CUSTOMER WITH MULTIPLE PHONES!!!!

SOON TO BE A FORMER AT&T CUSTOMER!!!!

128 of 520 (13,005 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2013 5:08:03 AM
(0)
Professor

Just something we have to live with  They never did give me the final update for my Win 7  phone now I am wondering about my Win 8 phone

Just something we have to live with  They never did give me the final update for my Win 7  phone now I am wondering about my Win 8 phone

129 of 520 (12,944 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2013 5:21:08 AM
(0)
Mentor
Really, Microsoft should be very upset about this. It harms their image. There really is no excuse for at&t to have not released the update. At a minimum, if at&t's rom were "leaked" we could manually update without changing to say Rogers or something like that. I'm frustrated that at&t is functioning in this way.
Really, Microsoft should be very upset about this. It harms their image. There really is no excuse for at&t to have not released the update. At a minimum, if at&t's rom were "leaked" we could manually update without changing to say Rogers or something like that. I'm frustrated that at&t is functioning in this way.

130 of 520 (12,941 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2013 5:28:08 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

mark.f.masters wrote:

I guess we will see if the "Microsoft Lumia" does any better in a year. Perhaps they will have better luck with the carriers.

mark.f.masters wrote:

I guess we will see if the "Microsoft Lumia" does any better in a year. Perhaps they will have better luck with the carriers.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

131 of 520 (12,936 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2013 10:35:49 AM
(0)
Mentor
I heard they are releasing it late today or tomorrow.

132 of 520 (12,831 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2013 10:56:44 AM
(0)
Professor
Who told you that
Who told you that

133 of 520 (12,812 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2013 11:03:35 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by lylone on Sep 5, 2013 at 11:23:58 AM

I thought I remember reading that the updates wouldn't have ATT involvement and would come directly from Nokia.  Yeah, that wasn't true...

I just got an "extras & info" update and now when you go in that screen and hit the "!" it says that the amber update is here and how to download it.  But still "no updates are available"

I thought I remember reading that the updates wouldn't have ATT involvement and would come directly from Nokia.  Yeah, that wasn't true...

I just got an "extras & info" update and now when you go in that screen and hit the "!" it says that the amber update is here and how to download it.  But still "no updates are available"

[ Edited ]
134 of 520 (12,809 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2013 12:51:51 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by cwcnpa on Sep 5, 2013 at 1:07:43 PM

Ditto for me on the Extras and Info update...  It would seem like the ground work is being laid for a rollout soon by AT&T, but I would like to know where lnelson15 heard that the rollout would be later today or tomorrow.

I also agree though with the general concensus that AT&T lag behind all the other carriers and I have often thought of jumping ship myself!

Ditto for me on the Extras and Info update...  It would seem like the ground work is being laid for a rollout soon by AT&T, but I would like to know where lnelson15 heard that the rollout would be later today or tomorrow.

I also agree though with the general concensus that AT&T lag behind all the other carriers and I have often thought of jumping ship myself!

[ Edited ]
135 of 520 (12,758 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2013 1:19:33 PM
(0)
Mentor

lnelson15 wrote:

This is a newly created account (from a Lumia 900, no less), so I see two options:

1. This is a troll stirring up the already high level of unhappiness in this forum. or

2. Someone who knows something but is trying to stay anonymous.

As much as I hope for 2, the first is much more likely.  I've given up on "checking for updates" daily, but maybe if I remember I'll check later today/tomorrow.

lnelson15 wrote:

This is a newly created account (from a Lumia 900, no less), so I see two options:

1. This is a troll stirring up the already high level of unhappiness in this forum. or

2. Someone who knows something but is trying to stay anonymous.

As much as I hope for 2, the first is much more likely.  I've given up on "checking for updates" daily, but maybe if I remember I'll check later today/tomorrow.

136 of 520 (12,738 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2013 10:56:48 PM
(0)
Mentor

Sorry that was bad information from an unreliable source.

Sorry that was bad information from an unreliable source.

138 of 520 (12,548 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 6, 2013 12:02:37 AM
(0)
Tutor

No worried M8, the fact you updated you're earlier post clears you Smiley Happy

Honestly you would think ATT spending billions upgrading/building networks to keep and entice new customers would jump at the chance for an easy A. Come on, the heavy lifting has been done; I can't believe they can't allocate a few techs to check over the update and send it out. Talk about missing the forest for the trees. I agree with some of the posters above in regards to this becoming a habit of ATT. Way I see it you can tell a lot more about a carrier these days by how they treat their current customers vs the hoops they will jump through for new ones.

This especially goes for the apparent non-suppport for DataSense.

Year left on my contract, perhaps you guys (ATT) can change my mind.

No worried M8, the fact you updated you're earlier post clears you Smiley Happy

Honestly you would think ATT spending billions upgrading/building networks to keep and entice new customers would jump at the chance for an easy A. Come on, the heavy lifting has been done; I can't believe they can't allocate a few techs to check over the update and send it out. Talk about missing the forest for the trees. I agree with some of the posters above in regards to this becoming a habit of ATT. Way I see it you can tell a lot more about a carrier these days by how they treat their current customers vs the hoops they will jump through for new ones.

This especially goes for the apparent non-suppport for DataSense.

Year left on my contract, perhaps you guys (ATT) can change my mind.

139 of 520 (12,534 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 6, 2013 3:08:03 AM
(0)
Mentor
BINGO!!! I was a product support rep for a major avionics company and know what product/customer support looks like. AT&T is very far off the mark and needs to win NEW customers because CURRENT customers are happy and content and make their sentiments known to "would be" customers!
BINGO!!! I was a product support rep for a major avionics company and know what product/customer support looks like. AT&T is very far off the mark and needs to win NEW customers because CURRENT customers are happy and content and make their sentiments known to "would be" customers!

140 of 520 (12,513 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 6, 2013 5:02:39 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by lylone on Sep 6, 2013 at 5:03:36 AM

I loved the recent plug about MyAT&T.  It was commented on between two employees and then closed.  I couldn't mention that the data usage shown in it is not up to date information.  And if you look at your billing the only true measure of data usage is correct after about 12:30a.  For some reason the system shows most of the data usage around that time in the AM.  So, if you check it at 4p, it is not accurate.

Maybe they are trying to circumvent the issues that may come in the future if they are removing datasense from the update build.

I loved the recent plug about MyAT&T.  It was commented on between two employees and then closed.  I couldn't mention that the data usage shown in it is not up to date information.  And if you look at your billing the only true measure of data usage is correct after about 12:30a.  For some reason the system shows most of the data usage around that time in the AM.  So, if you check it at 4p, it is not accurate.

Maybe they are trying to circumvent the issues that may come in the future if they are removing datasense from the update build.

[ Edited ]
141 of 520 (12,482 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 6, 2013 10:20:36 AM
(0)
Teacher
Nothing worse than the false glimmer of hope you get when you're phone is checking for the latest update......there is a split second where you're overwhelmed with false hope only to see.

Your phone is up to date. Last checked 2 seconds ago.

I loved you ATT, and you broke my heart.
Nothing worse than the false glimmer of hope you get when you're phone is checking for the latest update......there is a split second where you're overwhelmed with false hope only to see.

142 of 520 (12,345 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 6, 2013 6:30:57 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

bez2083 wrote:

LOL

Yeah I get that too. Maybe... Maybe.... Maybeeeeeeee.....

Nope. Not yet.

bez2083 wrote:

LOL

Yeah I get that too. Maybe... Maybe.... Maybeeeeeeee.....

Nope. Not yet.

143 of 520 (12,121 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2013 8:25:00 AM
(0)
Contributor

How hard it is for AT&T to inform it's customer about a release date for GDR2? At least give an update that is coming in 2-3 weeks or something like that. If they are having issues with the update during there internal tests then that's a different story and we would love to hear it from AT&T.

How hard it is for AT&T to inform it's customer about a release date for GDR2? At least give an update that is coming in 2-3 weeks or something like that. If they are having issues with the update during there internal tests then that's a different story and we would love to hear it from AT&T.

144 of 520 (11,957 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2013 9:42:54 PM
(0)
Mentor
You should all know by now that AT&T has it managerial head up its a**. Employees and staff are not allowed to say anything except the corporate mantra. You will not get any glimmer of hope from the inside of an intestine.
You should all know by now that AT&T has it managerial head up its a**. Employees and staff are not allowed to say anything except the corporate mantra. You will not get any glimmer of hope from the inside of an intestine.

145 of 520 (11,748 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 8, 2013 6:43:21 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

ynazami wrote:

"all Lumia WP8 devices on all carriers will have GDR2/Amber by the end of September"

- Nokia

That's the drop dead date. You'll see it on AT&T sometime between Monday and Sept 31st. So, Three Weeks.

ynazami wrote:

"all Lumia WP8 devices on all carriers will have GDR2/Amber by the end of September"

- Nokia

That's the drop dead date. You'll see it on AT&T sometime between Monday and Sept 31st. So, Three Weeks.

146 of 520 (11,689 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 8, 2013 11:35:57 AM
(0)
Mentor
Right now I'm betting on September 31st!
Right now I'm betting on September 31st!

147 of 520 (11,613 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 8, 2013 1:57:57 PM
(0)
Scholar
I remember when Windows 7.8 and Windows 8 got announced there was SOMEONE on here (not naming names, he knows who he is) that swore up and down that AT&T could not under ANY circumstance block any updates. When I stated that it wasn't true because I had confirmed it with the development team, they basically called me an ID10T (sorry, to get past the political correctness filter) and a liar.

For the record, I'm still expecting my apology. This is AT&T we're talking about. They would rather lose a million customers than miss out on a potential new phone sale. They are THAT money hungry and anti-consumer.
I remember when Windows 7.8 and Windows 8 got announced there was SOMEONE on here (not naming names, he knows who he is) that swore up and down that AT&T could not under ANY circumstance block any updates. When I stated that it wasn't true because I had confirmed it with the development team, they basically called me an ID10T (sorry, to get past the political correctness filter) and a liar.

For the record, I'm still expecting my apology. This is AT&T we're talking about. They would rather lose a million customers than miss out on a potential new phone sale. They are THAT money hungry and anti-consumer.

148 of 520 (11,579 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 8, 2013 4:13:14 PM
(0)
Professor

With Windows phone 7 both the AT&T office of the President  and the Windows phone  Developement team at Microsoft as well as in my case the customer service at LG assured us  that we would get the update. well they  were all  lying or  just  stupid

With Windows phone 7 both the AT&T office of the President  and the Windows phone  Developement team at Microsoft as well as in my case the customer service at LG assured us  that we would get the update. well they  were all  lying or  just  stupid

150 of 520 (11,537 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 8, 2013 4:38:22 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by Taylarie on Sep 8, 2013 at 4:52:04 PM

I am also {word filter evasion} off with AT&T with the GDDR2 Amber update delay. Almost EVERY other carrier has had the update in place, but not AT&T - the "favored" partner of Nokia in the US!!

Calling up AT&T customer support does not help at all!

I have a sneaky feeling that AT&T is trying some re-engineering - like killing the FM Radio or some such, so that the customer is forced to use streaming and use more data services from AT&T.

Anyway, enough is enough. If the update does not take place in another week or so, I am leaving AT&T as soon as my contract expires. I will go to Big Red, which is much better in terms of updates, support and cutomer service.

I am also {word filter evasion} off with AT&T with the GDDR2 Amber update delay. Almost EVERY other carrier has had the update in place, but not AT&T - the "favored" partner of Nokia in the US!!

Calling up AT&T customer support does not help at all!

I have a sneaky feeling that AT&T is trying some re-engineering - like killing the FM Radio or some such, so that the customer is forced to use streaming and use more data services from AT&T.

Anyway, enough is enough. If the update does not take place in another week or so, I am leaving AT&T as soon as my contract expires. I will go to Big Red, which is much better in terms of updates, support and cutomer service.

[ Edited ]
151 of 520 (2,823 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 8, 2013 5:11:01 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by dalyjc on Sep 8, 2013 at 5:15:22 PM

I hope more people do the same, dropping ATT is frankly the only action they may notice. God knows they are not paying attention to the numberous forum threads like this one. Maybe I can find a new carrier that shows me love the day after I sign the contract.

* I hope Microsoft finds a way to achieve what Apple has (as far as i know); when Apple releases their new IOS for the iphone you dont hear about iphone users out there getting it months after the fact.

I hope more people do the same, dropping ATT is frankly the only action they may notice. God knows they are not paying attention to the numberous forum threads like this one. Maybe I can find a new carrier that shows me love the day after I sign the contract.

* I hope Microsoft finds a way to achieve what Apple has (as far as i know); when Apple releases their new IOS for the iphone you dont hear about iphone users out there getting it months after the fact.

[ Edited ]
152 of 520 (2,807 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 9, 2013 5:16:19 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

McHale72 wrote:

I didn't call you either of those, and as far as I can see here AT&T isn't blocking an update - all the carriers *still* have final approval on updates, which is what's happening here - so yes, I was incorrect Microsoft still hasn't got the clout Apple does when it comes to bypassing carriers.

If you'd like me to apologise for being wrong about the direct release of updates to phones in WP8, then sure - I'm sorry I was wrong. Eventually it would be great if that were true, and perhaps a Microsoft branded phone would have the clout to demand that of the carriers. With a 3% market share I don't hold much hope out, but stranger things have happened.

The assumption that they somehow will get more new phone sales if they approve an os update 3-4 weeks after the first day it's available is an interesting theroy which I disagree with Smiley Happy

McHale72 wrote:

I didn't call you either of those, and as far as I can see here AT&T isn't blocking an update - all the carriers *still* have final approval on updates, which is what's happening here - so yes, I was incorrect Microsoft still hasn't got the clout Apple does when it comes to bypassing carriers.

If you'd like me to apologise for being wrong about the direct release of updates to phones in WP8, then sure - I'm sorry I was wrong. Eventually it would be great if that were true, and perhaps a Microsoft branded phone would have the clout to demand that of the carriers. With a 3% market share I don't hold much hope out, but stranger things have happened.

The assumption that they somehow will get more new phone sales if they approve an os update 3-4 weeks after the first day it's available is an interesting theroy which I disagree with Smiley Happy

153 of 520 (2,634 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 9, 2013 7:43:02 AM
(0)
Teacher

We're coming up on a month now and not a peep from AT&T. It's nice to see that they regard us as billing statements rather than customers.

AT&T has the most atrocious customer service I have expereienced, and I am a former Time Warner Cable customer...

We're coming up on a month now and not a peep from AT&T. It's nice to see that they regard us as billing statements rather than customers.

AT&T has the most atrocious customer service I have expereienced, and I am a former Time Warner Cable customer...

154 of 520 (2,577 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 9, 2013 10:56:34 AM
(0)
Mentor

Just had my weekly "chat" with AT&T support and they are claiming that Nokia has not yet released the update to AT&T.  I got fed up and told them that their comment was a bunch of BULL!  It's pathetic!

Just had my weekly "chat" with AT&T support and they are claiming that Nokia has not yet released the update to AT&T.  I got fed up and told them that their comment was a bunch of BULL!  It's pathetic!

155 of 520 (2,453 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 9, 2013 10:57:16 AM
(0)
Scholar
What's great is, the GDR3 update details are already leaking out (and on a Lumia 920 BTW). Check them out here (and pray that AT&T allows us to have them): http://www.afterdawn.com/news/article.cfm/2013/09/08/microsoft_update_for_windows_phone_8_leaked_in_...

For the record, AT&T isn't (and hasn't been) testing Amber this whole time. It was delayed specifically because of the 1020 (and a tiny bit because of the 925) launch. It was a business decision to focus their attention on selling new product vs. supporting old product. Remember, GDR2 was pushed IMMEDIATELY to the HTC 8X upon availability from HTC. It was the same factors that kept AT&T from updating the 7.x devices - there were always newer products to push.

I have 2 Lumias - one which I have already pushed the AT&T developer ROM to and my daily phone which I will keep stock as long as I can tolerate. Once the official Amber update is pushed I will see what they stripped out of it and decide what to go with going forward. I'm pretty sure we all know how they're going to destroy it.
What's great is, the GDR3 update details are already leaking out (and on a Lumia 920 BTW). Check them out here (and pray that AT&T allows us to have them): http://www.afterdawn.com/news/article.cfm/2013/09/08/microsoft_update_for_windows_phone_8_leaked_in_screenshots

For the record, AT&T isn't (and hasn't been) testing Amber this whole time. It was delayed specifically because of the 1020 (and a tiny bit because of the 925) launch. It was a business decision to focus their attention on selling new product vs. supporting old product. Remember, GDR2 was pushed IMMEDIATELY to the HTC 8X upon availability from HTC. It was the same factors that kept AT&T from updating the 7.x devices - there were always newer products to push.

I have 2 Lumias - one which I have already pushed the AT&T developer ROM to and my daily phone which I will keep stock as long as I can tolerate. Once the official Amber update is pushed I will see what they stripped out of it and decide what to go with going forward. I'm pretty sure we all know how they're going to destroy it.

156 of 520 (2,454 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 9, 2013 11:05:03 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by mrpither on Sep 9, 2013 at 11:06:04 AM

My souring is nearing action phase.  If Nexus 5 looks decent then I'm outta here.  No more gutless lying Windows Phone (carriers won't be able to stop updates with new WP8, and that enthusiast program getting access to updates early - lying liars telling lies) and no more at&t (putting customers last if you don't buy a brand new phone).  This joke is not funny any more.

My souring is nearing action phase.  If Nexus 5 looks decent then I'm outta here.  No more gutless lying Windows Phone (carriers won't be able to stop updates with new WP8, and that enthusiast program getting access to updates early - lying liars telling lies) and no more at&t (putting customers last if you don't buy a brand new phone).  This joke is not funny any more.

[ Edited ]
157 of 520 (2,449 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 9, 2013 1:42:18 PM
(0)
Mentor
You raise a good point McHail72... I was so p'ed off, I couldn't think clearly or I would have thrown that back at her! LOL
You raise a good point McHail72... I was so p'ed off, I couldn't think clearly or I would have thrown that back at her! LOL

158 of 520 (2,364 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments