Where's The GDR2/Amber Update... Any Schedule?

Teacher

Where's The GDR2/Amber Update... Any Schedule?

[ Edited ]

Ok ATT, when is GDR2 going to be released for the Nokia 920 (and all the other phones).

-taylor

Message 1 of 520 (37,674 Views)
Contributor

Re: Where's The GDR2 Update... Any Schedule?

you know you kind of don't make sense. the lumia 1020 and 925 come with gdr2 and amber pre installed.

Message 91 of 520 (13,596 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

No, I do make sense they wait on updating the old existing equipment in the hopes of getting up to get a new 925 or 1020 device.  It means more $$ in their pocket in case we decide to purchase a newer device.

Message 92 of 520 (13,530 Views)
ACE - Professor

lylone wrote:

No, I do make sense they wait on updating the old existing equipment in the hopes of getting up to get a new 925 or 1020 device.  It means more $$ in their pocket in case we decide to purchase a newer device.

Anyone who bought a 920 (Nov 2012 or later) isn't eligible for a new device upgrade yet - so it seems highly unlikely this is the cunning plan.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 93 of 520 (13,519 Views)
Scholar

Did I say upgrade...I meant purchase!  Purchase it for full price or do their payment deal.

Message 94 of 520 (13,513 Views)

AT&T does not want anything getting in the way when people are deciding whether or not to enter into a new two year contract. That is where their wireless revenue is, all of it. For every 100,000 customers that get a new contract and a 1GB data plan that is $22,800,000 they have for predictable revenue for the next two years.

Updating the 920 now might get in the way of the decision. They started accepting pre-orders yesterday and the phone will be released on Sept 13. If customers dig just a little deeper they will realize the 925 is inferior to the 920, no wireless charging and 16GB of memory with no SD slot.  But, it is new so it has to be better.

This is why we wait. I will guess Amber does not show up until at least a few days after the 925 is released.

Message 95 of 520 (13,466 Views)
Voyager

It definitely seems as though the delay is for business reasons, and not for technical reasons, which is a bunch of bull*** as far as I'm concerned.

At this point I'm seriously considering switching to Verizon when my contract is up, I've had enough bad experiences with AT&T.

Message 96 of 520 (13,447 Views)
Scholar

I don't remember them delaying other WP8 updates like this..

They delayed BB updates all the time, but it was easy to circumvent that.

I just don't understand them having to test things so much.  I haven't seen many complaints about issues out there on the net about other carriers having issues.  Especially Rogers.....

Message 97 of 520 (13,435 Views)
Contributor

ATT is notorius for stripping features and slow or no updates for smartphones. Although with gdr2/amber i believe (personal feeling, no evidebce...yet) it is the former. stripping of features like data sense and fm radio.

just like with windows on a pc, when you make core o/s changes things start falling apart and you have to cobble whats left back together so all works again. ATT has released gdr2 to the HTC WP8 device already.

theory number2

they ran out of resources for testing because of the 1020, 925 and the rumored bandit phablet all hitting within the same time frame as gdr2/amber.

either way it is really bush league of ATT to stall

Message 98 of 520 (13,388 Views)
Community Manager

Hello everyone, thank you so much for your feedback. We know you're eager to update your device, and as soon as we have news to share, we'll be sure to let you guys know.

I would also like to thank you for your patience!

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 99 of 520 (13,352 Views)
Mentor

ATTDmitriyCM wrote:

Hello everyone, thank you so much for your feedback. We know you're eager to update your device, and as soon as we have news to share, we'll be sure to let you guys know.

Bahahahahaha! Two weeks after Nokia releases the update AT&T takes notice of the active discussion.  I can feel the care AT&T has about this issue.

Message 100 of 520 (13,347 Views)
Teacher

This is the nice way of saying "it'll be ready when it's ready and we'll tell you when it is ready". Every day new carriers are releasing this update for their phones and each day none of them are AT&T. I understand not wanting to commit to a specific date but a time frame would be nice. Or at least admit Windows Phone isn't a priority so there is no rush to release the update.
Message 101 of 520 (13,310 Views)
ACE - Professor

mopinla wrote:

ATTDmitriyCM wrote:

Bahahahahaha! Two weeks after Nokia releases the update AT&T takes notice of the active discussion.  I can feel the care AT&T has about this issue.

Remember this is NOT an AT&T support forum, it's just a user-to-user community forum where customers can help each other, chat, etc. It was nice of someone from AT&T to drop in and say "you'll know when you know, because we'll have released it"

There are people who help when there is a support issue that can be solved - I'll call for help or suggest a direct PM to people who can help. This isn't one of those cases.

It's gonna take them however long it takes. For whatever reasons. Maybe it will be AWESOME and come with full support for data sense, and everything else just like Nokia released it. Maybe it will have some stuff removed. Maybe it will be here in a day. Maybe a month. No one who knows is talking, and everything else is speculation.

So, yep, back to checking daily if an Update is Availabile. Not today. Maybe next week.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 102 of 520 (13,224 Views)
ACE - Professor

mrtimsmith wrote:
This is the nice way of saying "it'll be ready when it's ready and we'll tell you when it is ready". Every day new carriers are releasing this update for their phones and each day none of them are AT&T. I understand not wanting to commit to a specific date but a time frame would be nice. Or at least admit Windows Phone isn't a priority so there is no rush to release the update.

Or there is some other reason. Doesn't have to be either of those. We'll never know. We do have a rumored date of "end of September" and I would bet real money that's accurate - it will be here sometime between tomorrow (since it's not here today) and "end of September".

Message 103 of 520 (13,223 Views)
Mentor

johninsj wrote:

Remember this is NOT an AT&T support forum, it's just a user-to-user community forum where customers can help each other, chat, etc. It was nice of someone from AT&T to drop in and say "you'll know when you know, because we'll have released it"

WRONG. It was not nice of someone from AT&T to drop in and say nothing of value. Whoop de do.  We have established that it will get here when it gets here (after the rest of the world).  There is NO acknowlegment on AT&T's part that this is important and/or going anywhere.  As many others have pointed out, it's really not that difficult to release this update. 

Message 104 of 520 (13,172 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Professor

mopinla wrote:

johninsj wrote:

WRONG. It was not nice of someone from AT&T to drop in and say nothing of value. Whoop de do.  We have established that it will get here when it gets here (after the rest of the world).  There is NO acknowlegment on AT&T's part that this is important and/or going anywhere.  As many others have pointed out, it's really not that difficult to release this update. 

RIGHT for this forum. What do you expect other users to do beyond commiserate?

I don't like waiting either - but there isn't much I can do about it - no, wait, there's nothing I can do about it.

AT&T never announces update schedules. They will release it. Or do you think they won't? Why? It's "waiting for approval" - that's where it is.

So, we wait. For approval.

Message 105 of 520 (13,093 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.