Where's The GDR2/Amber Update... Any Schedule?

Teacher

Where's The GDR2/Amber Update... Any Schedule?

[ Edited ]

Ok ATT, when is GDR2 going to be released for the Nokia 920 (and all the other phones).

-taylor

Message 1 of 520 (37,522 Views)
Explorer

Re: Where's The GDR2 Update... Any Schedule?

when will at&t throw the switch for those of us with lumia 920 to get gdr2 & amber update

Message 31 of 520 (6,364 Views)
Tutor

Well it seems that AT&T really takes their time.
Message 32 of 520 (6,329 Views)
ACE - Professor

smoledman wrote:
Well it seems that AT&T really takes their time.

Yep. Not released on Friday. Or Saturday. Sunday not looking good either. Maybe Monday?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 33 of 520 (6,291 Views)
Mentor

I hope everyone on this thread has called or started a support chat with someone to try to get a firm answer.  I'm not happy with what I got ("end of August or beginning of September,") but if enough people hold their feet to the fire, there might be a slightly more concrete response.  Please match the fervor of "AT&T sucks" posts with action that might make them take notice.

Message 34 of 520 (6,270 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

My guess is not for another two weeks.  AT&T first to release it and then last to update it.

Message 35 of 520 (6,205 Views)
Mentor

Today my wife's t-mo 521 gets a big update. It now has datasense. Nice app. And AT&T is likely delaying our GDR2 to strip out datasense. Premier carrier strikes again!

#thenodonetwork
Message 36 of 520 (6,149 Views)
ACE - Professor

mrpither wrote:
Today my wife's t-mo 521 gets a big update. It now has datasense. Nice app. And AT&T is likely delaying our GDR2 to strip out datasense. Premier carrier strikes again!

#thenodonetwork

They don't have to strip out anything - data sense doesn't work unless the carrier implements support for it on the back end.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 37 of 520 (6,144 Views)
Mentor

good to know, but then what's the hold up???

Message 38 of 520 (5,899 Views)
Scholar

According to AT&T support... you have to call Nokia to find out when Nokia will release it.    This is after I showed him the web page coming straight from Nokia.  Typical AT&T support...blaming someone else...

This is after I had to explain to the tech that it was an UPDATE and not an alert of some sort of software.  They saw GDR2/Amber Update and thought it was some alert.... SHEESH

Message 39 of 520 (5,851 Views)
Highlighted
Mentor

Contacted support again, and the agent didn't have a clue about the update.  The next level said "you'll get it when you get it," and he couldn't answer basic questions about the process, why they can't provide a target date, why other carriers nationally and globally have released it.  Their business process on releasing updates is completely unacceptable.  If this was a minor update, I wouldn't be in such a snit, but this adds some very significant features to the phone that I could use right away.

In lieu of releasing it immediately, all I'm asking is that they give a date. I don't know why that is too much to ask.

Message 40 of 520 (5,810 Views)
Teacher

They don't care about windows phone much in general since it's not a huge seller. Plus pushing out an update to those of us with existing phones and contracts isn't a high priority to them. It doesn't make them any money. All it'll do is get people mad at windows phone and either buy a 1020 or switch to android or iPhone. Either way AT&T wins. New contracts are more important than existing ones.
Message 41 of 520 (5,669 Views)
ACE - Professor

mopinla wrote:

In lieu of releasing it immediately, all I'm asking is that they give a date. I don't know why that is too much to ask.

Nokia released it to AT&T and every other carrier on Thursday of last week. It's currently showing as "Waiting for approval" for all Lumias on AT&T - that's all anyone knows and AT&T never pre-announces their release schedules.

You'll get it when you get it is the most accurate answer you're likely to get. There isn't anything else you can do. The good news is we will get it, eventually, likely in days if not a handful of weeks.

Message 42 of 520 (5,631 Views)
Scholar

Amber and GDR2 have ALREADY BEEN APPROVED BY AT&T which is why their newer devices ship with it.  It's also why the HTC 8X got it immediately.  In typical AT&T style, they are purposely NOT giving it to older models of handsets.  My Titan stopped getting updates when the Titan II came out.  The Titan II *NEVER* got an update to the latest WP 7.8 because Windows Phone 8 was out.

This is a conscious decision by AT&T to withhold the update.  It's done.  It's ready.  Nokia had it ready weeks ago and AT&T has been sitting on it.  There's nothing to test.

AT&T is a money hungry, anti-consumer company.  Any other view on AT&T is simply misguided.  This is Microsoft's fault for letting AT&T do this.  Rumor has it that the "Early Adopter Enthusiasts Program" was killed by AT&T which is why it has not been spoken about since launch.  

And I hope this finally shuts up those AT&T apologists that swore up and down that AT&T could not block updates.  As I explained on day 1, they can and will.

Message 43 of 520 (5,589 Views)
Mentor

I beg to differ... The fact that the HTC 8X is now receiving GDR2 as an update on the AT&T network means simply that AT&T are dragging their feet, not simply that they are no longer supporting the Lumia 820 or 920. Having said that, I TOO share in your frustration with AT&T and have similar stories of my older Samsung phones NEVER receiving an official update to WP 7.8, but I think with WP 8, the issue is different... There IS no "newer version" of Windows Phone out there, (eg. Windows Phone Blue/8.1), so in this case, I think we're simply seeing a lumbering giant be just that... A lumbering giant. Again, given that older HTC 8X's are receiving GDR2 over the air, the Lumia's cannot be too far behind. I would guess some time in the next 2-4 weeks.
Message 44 of 520 (5,574 Views)

Att will be removing data sense from what I understand. There were quiet a lot of talk on wpcentral regarding some services being removed by US carriers, too bad I missed nokias update when it was floating on the servers.
Message 45 of 520 (5,530 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.