When I make a call the phone says " emergency use only"

Contributor

When I make a call the phone says " emergency use only"

Message 1 of 5 (1,760 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: When I make a call the phone says " emergency use only"

It could indicate that the phone can only see the networks that it can't roam on at the moment. An emergency call will be allowed regardless of whether the phone can roam or not, but a normal call won't.

The same applies to some phones that feature a lock screen with the numeric pad. You can dial an emergency number without unlocking, but can't make a regular call.

Does either of those sound like what you might be experiencing?
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 5 (1,745 Views)
Contributor

My Samsung S4 was in "Emergency Calls Only" mode.  I only discovered this after my wife had been trying to reach me for several hours.  Other than no calls or text, the phone worked properly (I did not try networding). Powering off and back on cleared the Emergency block.  This clearly indicates the ATT network was up and running AND that the phone should have reset itself but it did not.   This happened during the 2 week swap period so ATT gave me a new phone (and SIM card).

Dear ATT: Powering the device off and back on is NOT a solution to this problem.  This is a problem that a number of people are having and it is severe.  There are many emergency situations that are not 911 related.  If it's a phone bug, make Samsung fix it.  If it's an ATT network bug then you need to figure it out.

Message 3 of 5 (1,413 Views)
Highlighted
Expert

s4sams1234 wrote:

My Samsung S4 was in "Emergency Calls Only" mode.  I only discovered this after my wife had been trying to reach me for several hours.  Other than no calls or text, the phone worked properly (I did not try networding). Powering off and back on cleared the Emergency block.  This clearly indicates the ATT network was up and running AND that the phone should have reset itself but it did not.   This happened during the 2 week swap period so ATT gave me a new phone (and SIM card).

Dear ATT: Powering the device off and back on is NOT a solution to this problem.  This is a problem that a number of people are having and it is severe.  There are many emergency situations that are not 911 related.  If it's a phone bug, make Samsung fix it.  If it's an ATT network bug then you need to figure it out.

It is not a phone bug, it is either discontinued service, service that has been turned off or a bad sim or a bad device. All phones will allow a 911 call to be made no matter if there is a paid cellular service on the hpone or not. The FCC requires this by law, the only thing the FCC considers an emergency call is 911

Message 4 of 5 (1,404 Views)
ACE - Expert

s4sams1234 wrote:

I have seen this (and not just on AT&T network). I think what happens is that if the phone gets into a no service area it'll do what's called an "exponential back off" -- it'll increase the time interval between checks to see if the signal is there to conserve the battery. When the phone is in such a state it won't pick up a signal right away after it becomes available, but one can force the issue by either rebooting the phone or searching for network manually.

I have only seen such behavior when the signal is absent for prolonged periods of time (hours).

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 5 (1,360 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.