Whats the most cost effective way to upgrade after recently upgrading?

Teacher

Whats the most cost effective way to upgrade after recently upgrading?

[ Edited ]

My Mrs recently upgraded ( 4 weeks ago  ) to a Samsung S4 from ATT website, she now would like to order the Note 3 which is on pre order via ATT direct.

I noticed I could purchase the unit with no commitment for approx $725. Is this the best option for us, or should be just add another line to our Family 550 plan and / or do an ETF? I dont think the latter ( ETF ) would work however from the small research that I have thus far conducted.

 

I think we would prefer to order from ATT as this would give us a good warranty should something go wrong. As opposed to buying a regular none ATT branded phone mail order. Least this way we would get support from ATT which is solid in my experience.

Message 1 of 7 (581 Views)
Expert

Re: Whats the most cost effective way to upgrade after recently upgrading?


limeybtrd wrote:

My Mrs recently upgraded ( 4 weeks ago  ) to a Samsung S4 from ATT website, she now would like to order the Note 3 which is on pre order via ATT direct.

I noticed I could purchase the unit with no commitment for approx $725. Is this the best option for us, or should be just add another line to our Family 550 plan and / or do an ETF? I dont think the latter ( ETF ) would work however from the small research that I have thus far conducted.

 

I think we would prefer to order from ATT as this would give us a good warranty should something go wrong. As opposed to buying a regular none ATT branded phone mail order. Least this way we would get support from ATT which is solid in my experience.


if you etf you cancel the line completely, you will pay around 315.00 plus the a final bill that will not be prorated, the number will be canceled and removed from the account. Canceling a line is not a shortcut to a upgrade, it is just canceling the line.

 

you can add anothe line, if get it at a subsidized price you will have a new 2 year contract on that device. As far as warrenty, you get the same exact warrenty on a att device as on a non-branded, 1 year the only difference is that you can go to a att service center, if they replace the device under warrenty there ia a good chance you wil be given a refurbished device and not ne out of box

Message 2 of 7 (532 Views)
Teacher

Re: Whats the most cost effective way to upgrade after recently upgrading?

How about if I were to add a third line that would cost me approx $10 plus data $15 per month for 24 months. Then replace this line with a "dumb" phone and have data removed?

 

Message 3 of 7 (507 Views)
Professor

Re: Whats the most cost effective way to upgrade after recently upgrading?


limeybtrd wrote:

How about if I were to add a third line that would cost me approx $10 plus data $15 per month for 24 months. Then replace this line with a "dumb" phone and have data removed?

 


You can do this, but there is no $15 data plan for new lines.  If you do this in a store, they can set it up where the data plan can be removed immediately if you have the basic phone with you to put on the new line, as they need to enter the basic phone's IMEI for the account.

 

Keep in mind that you will pay $9.99 plus taxes and fees.  Depending on your jurisdiction, the total cost for the line could be around $14/month.  You would pay $300 for the phone and an additional $336 over two years for a total of $636 assuming that you don't also have to buy a basic phone to put on the inactive line.  You have to decide if all of this is worth it to save less than $100 over buying the device at the no-commitment price today.

Message 4 of 7 (497 Views)
Teacher

Re: Whats the most cost effective way to upgrade after recently upgrading?

Right, so for clarification purposes it would be $20 data plan for the new line? Then I could take an old dumb phone to AT&T store and have them assign the new number to this as well as remove data plan? So in essence I would be only paying $9.99 for 24 months for the Note 3? And obviously the original subsidized price of $299?

 

 

 

Message 5 of 7 (447 Views)
Highlighted
Professor

Re: Whats the most cost effective way to upgrade after recently upgrading?

Or, pay full price for the Note 3 and sell the S4 on Ebay or Craigslist. You may be able to get enough for it to offset a large portion of the cost of the new phone.

 

A downside to this is that the S4 is under contract and can't be unlocked until the contract is satisfied. You'll need to make any potential buyer aware of that.

Message 6 of 7 (441 Views)
Professor

Re: Whats the most cost effective way to upgrade after recently upgrading?


limeybtrd wrote:

Right, so for clarification purposes it would be $20 data plan for the new line? Then I could take an old dumb phone to AT&T store and have them assign the new number to this as well as remove data plan? So in essence I would be only paying $9.99 for 24 months for the Note 3? And obviously the original subsidized price of $299?

 

 

 


Right, plus any taxes and fees.

Message 7 of 7 (426 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.