Helpful Links

What to do after Identity Theft occurs

Tutor

What to do after Identity Theft occurs

What really speaks is what you have in writing, hours upon hours of phone calls with AT&T's Theft of Identity Department only transferred me to a different representative each time I attempted to gain more information and gave me no written proof of what they had told me or what I had told them. Even though I requested to speak to a manager several times I have never once been called back by a manger in the 2 months this been going on.

To best protect yourself, as I have found out the hard way, when you file for a disputed account with AT&T's Theft of Identity Department because of a fradulent account you should have as much supporting documentation as possible. Do not only fill out AT&T's Indentity Theft Affidavit but also file reports with the Federal Trade Commission and the Attorney General's Office for your state under consumer protection services.

Message 1 of 4
Expert

Re: What to do after Identity Theft occurs

amrazook wrote:

What really speaks is what you have in writing, hours upon hours of phone calls with AT&T's Theft of Identity Department only transferred me to a different representative each time I attempted to gain more information and gave me no written proof of what they had told me or what I had told them. Even though I requested to speak to a manager several times I have never once been called back by a manger in the 2 months this been going on.

To best protect yourself, as I have found out the hard way, when you file for a disputed account with AT&T's Theft of Identity Department because of a fradulent account you should have as much supporting documentation as possible. Do not only fill out AT&T's Indentity Theft Affidavit but also file reports with the Federal Trade Commission and the Attorney General's Office for your state under consumer protection services.

you missed a couple of major steps

- request a currect credti report from all 3 of the major reporting orginazations

- request that a fraud alert be put on your credit history

both are free, you can bet if they have enough information to get a cell phone they have enough to open multiple credit cards. Optionally get a subscription to a credit monitoring service like the one offered from americian express or lifelock, not free but gives peace of mind.

Message 2 of 4
Tutor

Yes, Equifax was my first step. The post was more in response to steps that need to be taken while specifically interfacing with AT&T's Theft of Identity department.

Message 3 of 4
Highlighted
Expert

amrazook wrote:

Yes, Equifax was my first step. The post was more in response to steps that need to be taken while specifically interfacing with AT&T's Theft of Identity department.

there are 3 reporting companies, all 3 need to be contacted

Message 4 of 4
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support