What to do about an AT&T store employee who lied about insurance on iphone 5?

Tutor

What to do about an AT&T store employee who lied about insurance on iphone 5?

We have been with AT&T for many years. Home phone, UVerse internet, 4 cell phones, 3 business lines and UVerse business internet. In January 2013, we (21 year old son) purchased an iphone 5 (upgrade from 4)--the AT&T store salesman told us that we could buy the AT&T insurance for 9.99 per month and the phone would be replaced with a new one for FREE-- no deductible, no questions asked if anything happened to the phone-- lost, stolen, broken, defective, etc.  He told us that AT&T insurance was much better than any plans Apple had.   I had asked him to put that into blood writing but he assured me that there were no deductibles or charges other than the $9.99 per month. And it would be replaced with a NEW phone--not refurbished.  

Well--now, a little more than 3 months later-- son drops phone and I call to get service.  Certainly, "and $199.99 deductible will be seen in your next bill."  Um, no, that is ridiculous-- we were not told about any deductible-- even though both of us asked several times about deductibles and scenarios.  I have called the AT&T store who sold us the phone--spoke to a manager and gave her the salesman's name.  I am waiting to hear back from her.  

If we would have known about the deductible, we would have purchased Apple Care Plus-- which is what we had intended on and asked about.  I believe we are past that point now and would not be able to purchase that if we ended up with a refurbished phone either. 

What can I expect and who can I go to if the store is not willing to budge?   

Message 1 of 9 (834 Views)
Mentor

Re: What to do about an AT&T store employee who lied about insurance on iphone 5?

Honestly, if it's not signed or in writing in the contract they provided you, there may not be any support.  It would then be at AT&T's leasure whether they wanted to help you or not.  If the manager of the store isn't willing to help, you'll need to talk to customer care.  Hopefully they will take into consideration your tenure and the amount of lines you have.  

I use to be an AT&T retail store employee.  I would think that if they go out of their way for you, you could file the claim and have the deductible charged to your bill, and then they could credit it back off for you.  That's what I would do.  $200 credit toward a deductible is better than losing a tenured customer.  Plus, I'm sure your monthly bill is over $200 a month.  

Hope it works out for you! If you don't get any satisfaction out of the manager, you may want to speak to the Area Manager.  Sometimes they can have more tricks in the bag when it comes to these types of situations.  

Message 2 of 9 (782 Views)
ACE - Professor

Re: What to do about an AT&T store employee who lied about insurance on iphone 5?

Sorry to hear that!

Unfortunately, there is a deductible upon replacing a phone via the insurance. The cost is dependent of the device model and what tier it falls under. The insurance is handled by Asurion, and not AT&T. Asurion is who pays full price for the device after you pay the deductible. I'm afraid it's never free.

The device sent to you in the replacement can SOMETIMES be a refurbished device, it is almost like new. I'm other instances they can send a New device. It's entirely at their discretion.
~Sunshine Smiley Happy
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 9 (752 Views)
Expert

OnDemand26 wrote:

Honestly, if it's not signed or in writing in the contract they provided you, there may not be any support.  It would then be at AT&T's leasure whether they wanted to help you or not.  If the manager of the store isn't willing to help, you'll need to talk to customer care.  Hopefully they will take into consideration your tenure and the amount of lines you have.  

I use to be an AT&T retail store employee.  I would think that if they go out of their way for you, you could file the claim and have the deductible charged to your bill, and then they could credit it back off for you.  That's what I would do.  $200 credit toward a deductible is better than losing a tenured customer.  Plus, I'm sure your monthly bill is over $200 a month.  

Hope it works out for you! If you don't get any satisfaction out of the manager, you may want to speak to the Area Manager.  Sometimes they can have more tricks in the bag when it comes to these types of situations.  

the deducatable will not be charged to the bil, the insurrace is underwriten by Asurion and the deductables are set by the insurance company. ATT nor any of the many other carriers that work in conjunction with asurion to provide insurance  for damage or loss have no say so.

Message 4 of 9 (736 Views)
Contributor

Ok so look you really have to be cautious will any sales men that is selling any thing I have sold cars cellphones darn near every thing ok so look don't listen to the sales men only read the contracts that is what your agreeing to right it does matter what line he's giving you or how awesome this will be once you sign believe me I have heard it all I got out of sales because I was tired off screwing every one I sold to over and that's what they are there for to get you to agree to something that you may not be comfortable with am I wrong and as far as smart phone insurance lol yeah right look at the company that will be insuring it because it won't be AT&T it will be some garbage company that when you crack your screen will tell u you have to pay like 3 to 4 hundred to either have it repaired or replaced it blows me away here my iPhone would cost hundreds of dollars to have the device exchanegs but I can go to the google store and get a brand new Moto G unlocked with 2times the storage for 199.99 dollars AT&T is screwing their customers over on the whole bit I pay 198 a month for 2 lines just found out at Walmart they have theor own family mobile plans that use tmobile towers for 35 dollars a month per line so why do we spend that much on premium service with AT&T it's because we finance the phone in our bill and once the phone is paid off every month after is all profit like really this highway robbery at its finest am I wrong please let me know

Message 5 of 9 (398 Views)
Mentor

Wingrider you misunderstood the post you replied to. OnDemand said if you complain enough the store will credit your account for the deductible. Asurion still gets their cut but the AT&T store is paying for it instead of the customer. This is good policy, AT&T should do this for every customer that's duped into buying insurance by a deceptive salesperson. I hope OP follows through with OnDemands advice.
Message 6 of 9 (379 Views)
Mentor

Also wingrider, it's not accurate to say Asurion is the underwriter. Asurion is the administrator, CNA is the underwriter, they are two different companies. Read the T&A. And the carrier determines the cost of the policy, not Asurion or CNA.
Message 7 of 9 (368 Views)
Employee

[ Edited ]

I'm sure that some things have changed since he was a agent.

Not just that, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth, saying, if you just badger reprasentatives enough you'll get free money thrown at you.

AT&T offers the contracts for smartphones because they figure they'll be able to make back that ~$400 in the 2 year period/contract, and it's also why customer no longer under a contract get a $15 discount under the new Mobile Share Value.

Chances are you probably won't succeed, and if you spend 10-15h over 3-5 weeks, and especially, if you still get a no, it's a excercise in frustration, that you doing because you're just really hopeful that he's right. It's probably a waste of your time, and the representatives.

If you want to just jump straight to the top, and get a definitive answer, write a letter.

Also consider contact asurion to return the replacement, and see if you can take advantage of the new AT&T Next specials.

As far as AT&T choosing the rates, that correct. After comparing Asurions rates (as per their site), it's very similar between the different companies. Some of their rates higher, but deducitble is lower, vice versa, but it's all similar to each other, making me believe that Asurion has a sliding scale they let AT&T pick from, but they still choose the basis.

-Alex

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 8 of 9 (310 Views)
Mentor

What att should do is refund him the money he spent on premiums and cancel his insurance. Forget about the deductible and replacing his phone. He still has the broken phone, he should bring to an apple store or an independent repair shop to get it fixed. I bet it could be fixed for less than the cost of the deductible. I dropped
my iPhone once and cracked the LCD, I replaced it on my own for about $25 including shipping and about 30 minutes of my time.
Message 9 of 9 (284 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.