What if I break my old SIM?

What if I break my old SIM?

Hey all, I've seen some contradicting information on the internet and I wanted to get asnwers from the AT&T forum community.

I have just sold my HTC One X (micro-sim), and ordered an AT&T iPhone 5 from eBay. I plan to use a nano-sim cutter to cut my old micro-sim into the nano sim required for iPhone 5. 

My question is that if for whatever reason my old sim does not work what happens? I ordered an extra nano-sim just in case. Can i also just use my new nano-sim and activate the SIM there and thus my old SIM will be inactive?

If so, how can I go through this process?

Thanks

Steven 

Message 1 of 6 (530 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

Re: What if I break my old SIM?

The best way is to go to an AT&T store and exchange the micro-SIM for the nano-SIM. They'll take care of switching the account from the old to new, will add all the appropriate services, etc.

The second best way is to call 1-800-331-0500 from a different phone and they can handle the switch over the phone.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 6 (511 Views)
Scholar

Just go in the store. They are free and the rep will get it all set up for you. I've switched SIM cards about 5 times this year, and they've all been free.
Message 3 of 6 (500 Views)

Hi dmapr,

Thank you for your reply. I think I will go with the second option, with a new nano sim, as going to the AT&T store will be a hassle for me. Also, can I also use this website and do it on my own? https://www.wireless.att.com/activations/
Message 4 of 6 (491 Views)
ACE - Expert

stuntdragon wrote:
Hi dmapr,

Thank you for your reply. I think I will go with the second option, with a new nano sim, as going to the AT&T store will be a hassle for me. Also, can I also use this website and do it on my own? https://www.wireless.att.com/activations/

I'm not 100% sure. Your situation seems to fall under the "Upgrading Phone" option but I've never used this form to do a SIM swap before and don't know if it'll work.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 6 (456 Views)
Employee

If it's a Corporate Store, it'll be free. I've come to find that the majority of Authorized Retailers will end up charging you around $25 for a SIM card.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 6 of 6 (439 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.