Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Questions about your Smartphone data usage? Please join us here for a live “Ask an Expert” event on Wednesday, August 24th from 1-5 pm ET / 10am-2pm PT.

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 12, 2013
2:50:04 PM
What if I break my old SIM?

Hey all, I've seen some contradicting information on the internet and I wanted to get asnwers from the AT&T forum community.

I have just sold my HTC One X (micro-sim), and ordered an AT&T iPhone 5 from eBay. I plan to use a nano-sim cutter to cut my old micro-sim into the nano sim required for iPhone 5. 

My question is that if for whatever reason my old sim does not work what happens? I ordered an extra nano-sim just in case. Can i also just use my new nano-sim and activate the SIM there and thus my old SIM will be inactive?

If so, how can I go through this process?

Thanks

Steven 

Hey all, I've seen some contradicting information on the internet and I wanted to get asnwers from the AT&T forum community.

I have just sold my HTC One X (micro-sim), and ordered an AT&T iPhone 5 from eBay. I plan to use a nano-sim cutter to cut my old micro-sim into the nano sim required for iPhone 5. 

My question is that if for whatever reason my old sim does not work what happens? I ordered an extra nano-sim just in case. Can i also just use my new nano-sim and activate the SIM there and thus my old SIM will be inactive?

If so, how can I go through this process?

Thanks

Steven 

What if I break my old SIM?

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2013 3:43:14 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

The best way is to go to an AT&T store and exchange the micro-SIM for the nano-SIM. They'll take care of switching the account from the old to new, will add all the appropriate services, etc.

The second best way is to call 1-800-331-0500 from a different phone and they can handle the switch over the phone.

The best way is to go to an AT&T store and exchange the micro-SIM for the nano-SIM. They'll take care of switching the account from the old to new, will add all the appropriate services, etc.

The second best way is to call 1-800-331-0500 from a different phone and they can handle the switch over the phone.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: What if I break my old SIM?

2 of 6 (431 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2013 4:38:35 PM
(0)
Scholar
Just go in the store. They are free and the rep will get it all set up for you. I've switched SIM cards about 5 times this year, and they've all been free.
Just go in the store. They are free and the rep will get it all set up for you. I've switched SIM cards about 5 times this year, and they've all been free.

3 of 6 (420 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2013 5:25:12 PM
(0)
Tutor
Hi dmapr,

Thank you for your reply. I think I will go with the second option, with a new nano sim, as going to the AT&T store will be a hassle for me. Also, can I also use this website and do it on my own? https://www.wireless.att.com/activations/
Hi dmapr,

Thank you for your reply. I think I will go with the second option, with a new nano sim, as going to the AT&T store will be a hassle for me. Also, can I also use this website and do it on my own? https://www.wireless.att.com/activations/

4 of 6 (411 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2013 10:17:58 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

stuntdragon wrote:
Hi dmapr,

I'm not 100% sure. Your situation seems to fall under the "Upgrading Phone" option but I've never used this form to do a SIM swap before and don't know if it'll work.

stuntdragon wrote:
Hi dmapr,

I'm not 100% sure. Your situation seems to fall under the "Upgrading Phone" option but I've never used this form to do a SIM swap before and don't know if it'll work.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 6 (376 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 13, 2013 7:11:43 AM
(0)
Employee

If it's a Corporate Store, it'll be free. I've come to find that the majority of Authorized Retailers will end up charging you around $25 for a SIM card.

If it's a Corporate Store, it'll be free. I've come to find that the majority of Authorized Retailers will end up charging you around $25 for a SIM card.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

6 of 6 (359 Views)