What happens when I switch SIMs to another phone I aquired by a third-party?

Contributor

What happens when I switch SIMs to another phone I aquired by a third-party?

I am looking to get an unlocked Samsung Galaxy Note 3, since I am already using a 3G android phone, will there be an automatic LTE plan added to my phone, or can I just use it without data, as to not add any extra charges?  Also, since I am going to be using an unlocked phone, do I need to perform any extra steps besides simply switching the SIM?

Message 1 of 4 (461 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: What happens when I switch SIMs to another phone I aquired by a third-party?

VictiniStar101 wrote:

I am looking to get an unlocked Samsung Galaxy Note 3, since I am already using a 3G android phone, will there be an automatic LTE plan added to my phone, or can I just use it without data, as to not add any extra charges?  Also, since I am going to be using an unlocked phone, do I need to perform any extra steps besides simply switching the SIM?

All smartphones are supposed to have a data plan. If ATT detects you are using a smartphone without a data plan, they will add one. If for some reason they have not added a data plan for your current phone, consider yourself lucky but I would think switching your SIM to a Note 3 would increase the chances of having a data plan automatically added. 

The extra step you are supposed to do is call ATT and update your account with the IMEA of the new phone. If you do that though, they will definitely add a data plan. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 4 (422 Views)
Contributor

Re: What happens when I switch SIMs to another phone I aquired by a third-party?

[ Edited ]

Well is there any way that the data plan my phone is currently on can carry over to the Note 3 if it's not a LTE plan?

Message 3 of 4 (398 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Master

VictiniStar101 wrote:

Well is there any way that the data plan my phone is currently on can carry over to the Note 3 if it's not a LTE plan?

As long as the data plan you currently have is for a smartphone, it will carry over. In other words, it will be the same amount for the same amount of data whether it gets changed to an LTE plan or not. I presume the Note 3 is an LTE phone. If so, you really do want the LTE equivalent to your current plan. Stated another way, whatever plan you currently have can be changed to its LTE equivalent. Same price and same amount of data but LTE compatible. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 4 (388 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.