Ask a question

Posted Mar 25, 2012
    7:40:40 PM
    View profile
    What happens if you put 3G sim card in a 4G phone

Hi all,

I have a 3G AT&T plan for my iphone 3GS. But I recently broke my iphone.

So I want to buy a new 4G phone to replace my iphone. The phone that I am planning to get states that it has the 4G HSPA+ for AT&T. But I really do not want to pay more for the 4G speed.

If I simply put my 3G sim card into the new phone. Would AT&T charge me for 4G speed?

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.

What happens if you put 3G sim card in a 4G phone

11 replies
    (1) Me too
    (1) Me too
    View all replies
    (11)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 25, 2012 8:27:10 PM
    (0)
    Scholar
    Edited by MJB0188 on Mar 25, 2012 at 8:28:29 PM

Hi and welcome to the forums,

Let me start off by saying the first thing you don't have to worry about it your data plan changing.  When upgrading to a 4G phone you'll want to make sure you have a new SIM card and a compatible data plan.  Let me elaborate on this:  lets say you have "Data Unlimited for iPhone 3GS" on your account, you'll need to have Customer Care or a rep at the AT&T store change that plan to "Data Unlimited for Android" or "Data Unlimited for 4G LTE smartphones".  Of course the same applies if its a tiered plan.  Once you have the correct data plan on your account a new SIM card you should be good to go.

Once again, your data plan will not change.  This goes for upgrading or just swapping phones.  You are not required to switch your plan.  

Good Luck

Re: What happens if you put 3G sim card in a 4G phone

[ Edited ]
    2 of 12 (49,037 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 27, 2012 7:51:35 AM
    (0)
    Tutor

The above is mostly true...

Do contact customer service with the new phone's IMEI (serial number), because their system allows your phone to use data essentially based on its operating system.  So if you go from an iPhone to an Android or Windows phone, you'll want AT&T to make sure they have the proper data in the system.  And don't worry about any additional charges; AT&T will keep the same charge, just with the appropriate plan for your phone's operating system.

HSPA+ is not "true" 4G as you think of it--it is an enhanced 3G.  So that means you can put your 3G sim card into an HSPA+ 4G phone and it will work just fine.  If you're looking at a 4G LTE phone, you will likely need to change your sim card, though I'm not 100% sure of this.

3 of 12 (48,979 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 19, 2013 10:10:19 PM
    (0)
    Mentor

So, to make sure I understand this correctly; I have the 3G unlimited data plan for $30 and am eligible for an upgrade. I can upgrade to a 4G phone, and get to keep my unlimited data plan for $30? I want to keep the unlimited data plan even if I don't get to use the 4G on the 4G phone. The only reason I haven't upgraded yet is because I thought I would have to get a whole new more expensive limited data 4G plan.

4 of 12 (36,168 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 19, 2013 11:15:19 PM
    (0)
    Mentor
    Edited by ThatCanadianGuy on Jan 19, 2013 at 11:39:41 PM

Steven- wrote:

So, to make sure I understand this correctly; I have the 3G unlimited data plan for $30 and am eligible for an upgrade. I can upgrade to a 4G phone, and get to keep my unlimited data plan for $30? I want to keep the unlimited data plan even if I don't get to use the 4G on the 4G phone. The only reason I haven't upgraded yet is because I thought I would have to get a whole new more expensive limited data 4G plan.

Everything that MJB0188 and thunderbucks7 said is absolutely correct. Because you have the Unlimited Data plan, you have what's called a grandfathered plan. Because you've been "grandfathered in" to that data plan, you get to keep it when you upgrade to a new phone. Unless you actually call Customer Care and say "I'd like to change/remove my Unlimited Data plan", you aren't going to lose it.

Being a Customer Care representative, I'd like to provide a brief explanation on what will happen when you do the upgrade, and what you'll see on your bill. Upon doing an upgrade from a 3G device to a 4G device, on your next bill you will notice a "Plan Changes" section that will show two things:

• The first thing will be the removal of the Unlimited Data plan, along with a prorated credit based on the amount of days left in your bill cycle that the plan wasn't used for.

No need to panic though, that doesn't mean you've lost your unlimited data plan, and here's why:

• The other thing you'll see will be the addition of an Unlimited Data plan, called "Unlimited Data for iPhone/Smartphone 4G LTE", along with a prorated charge for the amount of days left in your bill cycle. The prorated charge and credit will offset each other (for example a charge of $15.00 and a credit of $14.00 would offset to a total charge of $1.00)

The reason for the removal of the original plan and the addition of this new plan is simply because our billing system doesn't allow us to have a non-4G LTE data plan on a line that has a 4G LTE device. So hopefully I've helped put any fears you've had about losing your unlimited data plan to rest. Smiley Happy

I am an AT&T Customer Care representative specializing in mobile phone support, and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

[ Edited ]
    5 of 12 (36,154 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 20, 2013 6:27:02 AM
    (0)
    Mentor
    Edited by Steven- on Jan 20, 2013 at 6:30:33 AM

Thank you!
    I would have to do the upgrade in-store for it to work that way right? I want to get the LG Optimus G from Amazon for $50 which says that price is also good for upgrades, but when I try to buy it, it forces me to pick a new data plan. Will the AT&T store price match Amazon if I do it in-store, or if I order from Amazon and pick the $30 3GB 4G plan will that get replaced with my unlimited plan afterward?

Thanks.

[ Edited ]
    6 of 12 (36,123 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 20, 2013 4:32:15 PM
    (0)
    Mentor
    Edited by ThatCanadianGuy on Jan 20, 2013 at 4:33:23 PM

Steven- wrote:

Thank you!
    I would have to do the upgrade in-store for it to work that way right? I want to get the LG Optimus G from Amazon for $50 which says that price is also good for upgrades, but when I try to buy it, it forces me to pick a new data plan. Will the AT&T store price match Amazon if I do it in-store, or if I order from Amazon and pick the $30 3GB 4G plan will that get replaced with my unlimited plan afterward?

Thanks.

You can do it in-store, through MyAT&T, or over the phone by calling 611 from your mobile device. I do suggest either in-store or over the phone so the representative you deal with can make sure you don't lose the Unlimited Data.

With ordering from Amazon, you would have to make sure the phone is set up for AT&T, or if it was used on another carrier, that it has been unlocked so you can use an AT&T SIM card.

As for price matching, I don't think we do any sort of price matching, though if you are eligible for the upgrade, the price you'd pay for the phone would be the full discount price of $99.99. Yes, it is $50 more than what you would pay on Amazon, but again, with Amazon you'd have to make sure the phone is either AT&T branded, or unlocked.

I am an AT&T Customer Care representative specializing in mobile phone support, and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

[ Edited ]
    7 of 12 (36,057 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 24, 2013 6:01:59 PM
    (0)
    Mentor

You can't do it ordering from Amazon. Their response to my e-mail was:

"We're not authorized to "grandfather" in your existing unlimited data plan.
    If you order your device from AmazonWireless, you'll be required to select a new data plan as your current plan is no longer be offered by AT&T.
    If you'd like to keep your existing data plan you may place an order directly with AT&T. Unfortunately, you will not qualify for AmazonWireless special offers."

8 of 12 (35,695 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 24, 2013 7:03:05 PM
    (0)
    Mentor

Steven- wrote:

You can't do it ordering from Amazon. Their response to my e-mail was:

"We're not authorized to "grandfather" in your existing unlimited data plan.
    If you order your device from AmazonWireless, you'll be required to select a new data plan as your current plan is no longer be offered by AT&T.
    If you'd like to keep your existing data plan you may place an order directly with AT&T. Unfortunately, you will not qualify for AmazonWireless special offers."

Ahhh, yeah I expected that. It really depends on the place. As I said above though, I would highly suggest doing the upgrade through AT&T to prevent the loss of your grandfathered data plan. While the device would cost more, if you aren't going to need your old device after you've moved all the content from it to your new phone, you can always take your old device into your nearest COR (Company Owned Retail) store, as we have a buy-back program, and you could get some cash for your old device. Smiley Happy

9 of 12 (35,686 Views)
    Highlighted
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 22, 2013 1:04:06 PM
    (0)
    Mentor
    Edited by Steven- on Mar 22, 2013 at 1:07:22 PM

ThatCanadianGuy wrote:

Everything that MJB0188 and thunderbucks7 said is absolutely correct. Because you have the Unlimited Data plan, you have what's called a grandfathered plan. Because you've been "grandfathered in" to that data plan, you get to keep it when you upgrade to a new phone. Unless you actually call Customer Care and say "I'd like to change/remove my Unlimited Data plan", you aren't going to lose it.

I just got around to trying this and she said I couldn't do it because my plan says data unlimited for "non-smartphone", and I would have to get a whole new family/mobile share plan. Is she right?

[ Edited ]
    10 of 12 (31,228 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 2, 2014 7:48:23 PM
    (0)
    Contributor
    Hii. ohkay well ii have an android 3g phone that kust yesterday i payed my monthly plan , i pay $60 a month , i have 1GB of data and unlimited talking and texting. but i have a nokia lumia 920 that is 4G LTE and HSPA+ . if i insert my current sim card into the nokia will it work the same ? will i have to pay more ? because i just payed my plan of $60 .

plz and thankk you really appreciate your help and solutions

11 of 12 (8,514 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 3, 2014 5:35:24 AM
    (0)
    Employee

ojitos15s wrote:
    Hii. ohkay well ii have an android 3g phone that kust yesterday i payed my monthly plan , i pay $60 a month , i have 1GB of data and unlimited talking and texting. but i have a nokia lumia 920 that is 4G LTE and HSPA+ . if i insert my current sim card into the nokia will it work the same ? will i have to pay more ? because i just payed my plan of $60 .

plz and thankk you really appreciate your help and solutions

It will work but you won't get LTE service. You will need a new SIM card to get the higher speeds. Go to a corporate store, they will provide a new sim for free. You must have an old plan because $60/mo should get you unlimited talk, text and 2GB go data. You might also want to upgrade your plan. 

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

12 of 12 (8,481 Views)