Warranty Dept refused exchange because of normal wear and tear on phone

Contributor

Warranty Dept refused exchange because of normal wear and tear on phone

I was unable to resolve an issue regarding warranty.  I was told that I didn't return the phone in question as described and I was being charged $539.00 to my account.  After over 45 minutes of being on the phone (not including hold time), the escalation manager agreed to lower the fee to $199, but it still is not acceptable.  Here is my situation:  I purchased the Galaxy 4 Active phone in August for my son, who is on our plan.  He is in the Infantry in the Army--meaning he has a very physical job and the reason he was more suited to the "active" phone since it was to be more rugged.  After 6-months usage, he dropped it in a mud puddle.  He tried to dry it out, but he had problems with the speakers, the camera was foggy along with other issues due to water damage.  I called AT&T and was told because it's the "Active" version Samsung would replace it under warranty one time for free.  I received the replacement phone and returned the damaged phone.  Today, I received the damaged phone and a letter back stating that the phone had physical damage and voided the conditions of the warranty exchange.  It has a nick on the side of it (normal wear and tear), in no way hinders it's performance or operability, and is not the reason I sent it in for exchange.  If they wouldn't have placed an arrow sticker pointing to the nick, I would not have found it.  They said since it wasn't returned in "new" condition (or the same condition he received it new) they would not honor the warranty return.  Also, they said I didn't adhere to the agreed conditions (basically called me a liar because they feel it had physical damage).  They didn't even check it for water damage or other non-functionality.  According to them, normal wear and tear is considered physical damage and therefore not eligible for exchange.  This makes no sense and I am very disappointed.  We are long-time customer and have both our home and wireles phone with AT&T.   If AT&T has no loyalty to us to make this right, I have no reason to remain a customer.  I hate to have to complain.  It's no fun for any party involved, but I also do not like being taken advantage of.

Message 1 of 6 (583 Views)
Community Manager

Re: Warranty Dept refused exchange because of normal wear and tear on phone

Hello, dcwampler!

Thanks for posting. I'm very sorry to hear that the damaged phone did not qualify for warranty replacement. If you would like us to review the notes on your account, please send us a private message by clicking here.

In your message, please provide your name, phone number, email address, and the best time to reach you. Keep an eye on the little blue envelope icon in the top right corner of your screen for a response.

Meanwhile, feel free to message me with any other questions or concerns! I apologize for any frustration.

-Mariana

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 6 (548 Views)
Contributor

So happy to hear that NEITHER AT&T NOR SAMSUNG wil apparently stand behind their products.  they are hiding behind normal wear and tear as physical damage and the reason for not replacing a product that is marketed as rugged.  EXTREMELY disappointed.  

Supposed customer care only offer was to inconvenience me into driving 40 minutes away to find a corporate AT&T store to prove my case.  Whatever happened to customer care, loyalty and trust?

I will contact Samsung directly as well.

GOOD BYE AT&T!!!!

Message 3 of 6 (545 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Professor

dcwampler wrote:

So happy to hear that NEITHER AT&T NOR SAMSUNG wil apparently stand behind their products.  they are hiding behind normal wear and tear as physical damage and the reason for not replacing a product that is marketed as rugged.  EXTREMELY disappointed.  

Supposed customer care only offer was to inconvenience me into driving 40 minutes away to find a corporate AT&T store to prove my case.  Whatever happened to customer care, loyalty and trust?

I will contact Samsung directly as well.

GOOD BYE AT&T!!!!

Looking at the warranty, it appears exposure to liquid is not covered. 

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/supportServiceWarranty.do?prd_ia_cd=N0000003&prd_mdl_cd=SGH-I537ZB...

The phone is marketed to be "active", not "indestructible". 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 6 (508 Views)
Employee

Re: BEWARE: AT&T & Samsung hide behind normal wear & tear for not providing warranty re

Hi dcwampler,

It depends upon where your scrach or nick on the device is. If there is something that is damaged on the screen, then in most cases it is not covered under any warranty.

If its on the side of the device or back depending upon the damage would be then considered "normal wear and tear"

So if your device has damage on the screen or something to that effect then no it wouldn't be covered under any warranty. If it came out of the box like that, you could have exchanged it at the Point of Sale on that day.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 6 (578 Views)
Employee

Based on the terms

(e) ordinary wear and tear is in the section "What is not covered? "

ordinary-wear-and-tear is a loose term anyways.

There is no standing by the product. The equipment is sold as-is. If it's not satisfactory, it's returnable/exchangable in the first 14 days. The manufacturer offers to cover minor issues for a year, basically, if they can recover the parts for it, try to fix it and use it as a refurbished phone.

That little 'mud puddle' ruined the phone enough that they can't recover any or most of the expensive electronics.

Instead of having to call them directly, AT&T's offer to be the middle man, so people don't have to be talking to a whole bunch of different people. It's purely a convenience thing

AT&T encourages feedback, the phones have a section, like the Samsung Galaxy S4, where you can see other people's feedback and post your own. If you really felt that somehow Samsung did not make a phone that lived up to your expectations, feel free to warn people.

-Alex

Employee Contributor*
Message 6 of 6 (476 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.