Warning: deceptive employee discount (FAN) policy regarding 2nd line

Teacher

Warning: deceptive employee discount (FAN) policy regarding 2nd line

I recently switched from Verizon to At&t despite hearing about some of the sketchy nickle-and-dime policies employed by At&t.  As it turns out I was still caught by one.  My employeer offers a discount (referred to as a FAN by At&t) on my At&t monthly bill.  Everything I had read prior to signing up indicated I would get a percentage discount on the entire monthly portion of my bill.  

I signed up for a Smartphone plan (450mins, 3GB data) and a Tablet plan (250MB data) on the secondary line.  After registering my employee discount I recieved a bill for the Tablet (was surprised I got a seperate bill instead of having it alongside the phone bill).  The Tablet bill did not have the monthly employee discount applied.  I inquired via the chat service today as to why this was.  I was told that the tablet didn't have a qualifying plan ( even though I hadn't read about anything that would exclude it leading up to this).  I was given this as a statement from At&t regarding the policy:  

FANs are applied at the Account level. Qualified Individual Plans, Primary FamilyTalk and Mobile Share plans are eligible for voice discount. Any line on the Account with a qualified data plan also receives the discount. Additional lines on a Mobile Share Plan do not receive a discount.

When I read "Any line on the Account with a qualified data plan also receives the discount." it sounds to me like an additional line with a data package would qualify.  As it turns out that data plan has to be a qualified plan.  Where can you find out which plans are qualified online?  You can't do so!!  You would have to call At&t to determine if your additional lines data plan is a qualified plan per their current policy.  Today it has to be at the 5GB level but it isn't published so maybe tomorrow that plan won't qualify either.  I begged to be shown where I might have read about needing to have a data plan at a certain rate/size prior to signing my contract but they couldn't come up with anything.  Luckily for me I purchased my Tablet on a month-to-month plan so will probably cancel it (more out of principal than for the $4/mo)  but if you are considering signing a contract and are expecting an employee discount beware.  

Do you agree that this policy is deceptive?

Message 1 of 11 (4,708 Views)
Expert

Re: Warning: deceptive employee discount (FAN) policy regarding 2nd line

[ Edited ]

Aphex wrote:

I recently switched from Verizon to At&t despite hearing about some of the sketchy nickle-and-dime policies employed by At&t.  As it turns out I was still caught by one.  My employeer offers a discount (referred to as a FAN by At&t) on my At&t monthly bill.  Everything I had read prior to signing up indicated I would get a percentage discount on the entire monthly portion of my bill.  

I signed up for a Smartphone plan (450mins, 3GB data) and a Tablet plan (250MB data) on the secondary line.  After registering my employee discount I recieved a bill for the Tablet (was surprised I got a seperate bill instead of having it alongside the phone bill).  The Tablet bill did not have the monthly employee discount applied.  I inquired via the chat service today as to why this was.  I was told that the tablet didn't have a qualifying plan ( even though I hadn't read about anything that would exclude it leading up to this).  I was given this as a statement from At&t regarding the policy:  

FANs are applied at the Account level. Qualified Individual Plans, Primary FamilyTalk and Mobile Share plans are eligible for voice discount. Any line on the Account with a qualified data plan also receives the discount. Additional lines on a Mobile Share Plan do not receive a discount.

When I read "Any line on the Account with a qualified data plan also receives the discount." it sounds to me like an additional line with a data package would qualify.  As it turns out that data plan has to be a qualified plan.  Where can you find out which plans are qualified online?  You can't do so!!  You would have to call At&t to determine if your additional lines data plan is a qualified plan per their current policy.  Today it has to be at the 5GB level but it isn't published so maybe tomorrow that plan won't qualify either.  I begged to be shown where I might have read about needing to have a data plan at a certain rate/size prior to signing my contract but they couldn't come up with anything.  Luckily for me I purchased my Tablet on a month-to-month plan so will probably cancel it (more out of principal than for the $4/mo)  but if you are considering signing a contract and are expecting an employee discount beware.  

Do you agree that this policy is deceptive?

FAN discount polciies are negotiated between the carrier and the entity that you get it through. Any questions regarding what the discounts are need to be addressed to the plan administrator.  Contact who ever you get the FAN discount through

For example the discount that I have from my company only covers the primary voice line on a single or family plan, it does not apply to any features added such as secondary lines, data plans, texting plans, or anything else. Only the plan administrator can give you the exact details as to what their negoiated discount percentages apply to. Another point, depending on the length of the negotiated discount it can change over time.

If you are still within the 14 day buyers remorse, you have a option

Message 2 of 11 (4,652 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]

Here is the official statement on my employee discount page from our At&t representative:

AT&T is now offering all employees various discounts on phones and services. You can save XX% off your monthly bill.

Sounds to me like I am suppose to get XX% off my monthly bill.  However it turns out that it only applies to portions of my monthly bill and therefore is less than XX%.  My point is that At&t is deceptive about this policy.  They make statements that imply you receive the discount on your entire monthly bill only to tell you after signing up that some of your bill doesn't qualify.  This kind of information should be readily available online.  For example when I went to activate my discount it should have been clearly demonstrated that I was not going to get the XX% discount on my Tablet plan.  There was no indication of that.  

Message 3 of 11 (4,625 Views)
Expert

[ Edited ]

Aphex wrote:

Here is the official statement on my employee discount page from our At&t representative:

AT&T is now offering all employees various discounts on phones and services. You can save XX% off your monthly bill.

Sounds to me like I am suppose to get XX% off my monthly bill.  However it turns out that it only applies to portions of my monthly bill and therefore is less than XX%.  My point is that At&t is deceptive about this policy.  They make statements that imply you receive the discount on your entire monthly bill only to tell you after signing up that some of your bill doesn't qualify.  This kind of information should be readily available online.  For example when I went to activate my discount it should have been clearly demonstrated that I was not going to get the XX% discount on my Tablet plan.  There was no indication of that.  

there are no terms there, the original agreement from the entity you recieved the FAN discount from would have it. The agent does not have the details just the percentages. My HR staff hands this paperwork out to every new hire and it goes out company wide when we negotiate a new agreement. works the same way at Sprint and Verizon

Message 4 of 11 (4,609 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]

I get it now.  You, just like the chat representative elegantly stated, have enlightened me on At&t's deceptive policy!  Essentially no one knows the details of these agreements yet it is implied that you will receive a discount on your entire monthly bill.  I'm posting here enlighten the general public of these hidden restrictions.  I checked my new hire paperwork since I had it still and there is no mention of the At&t discount just a link to the Perks website where the statement I posted above is made.  

Message 5 of 11 (4,597 Views)
Guru

Did you order online? If you did, it tells you as you're ordering what is discounted as you're adding rates/features.

Message 6 of 11 (4,582 Views)
Expert

Aphex wrote:

I get it now.  You, just like the chat representative elegantly stated, have enlightened me on At&t's deceptive policy!  Essentially no one knows the details of these agreements yet it is implied that you will receive a discount on your entire monthly bill.  I'm posting here enlighten the general public of these hidden restrictions.  I checked my new hire paperwork since I had it still and there is no mention of the At&t discount just a link to the Perks website where the statement I posted above is made.  

Incorrect, details are known, you just have to contact the issuing entity of the discount. If the fan discount is done by your employer someone there knows and has the details. Start with HR

Message 7 of 11 (4,561 Views)
Expert

[ Edited ]

ujmnz wrote:

Did you order online? If you did, it tells you as you're ordering what is discounted as you're adding rates/features.

you are showing that you get a 30% discount on the 2 of the voice and nothing else is indcated. If you bring up mobile share it will show you get a discount on the voice/text and the amount of data you choose, but not on the device additions

Message 8 of 11 (4,559 Views)
Guru

Exactly, it shows you what gets discounts and what doesn't on the website.
Message 9 of 11 (4,553 Views)
Teacher

I ordered online through the general website and applied my discount after because I did not want the "buisness plans" associated with the employee discount website.  However I just went back to the employee discount website and set up a dummy order (with plans as similar as possible).  Even with my cell phone as the primary line it shows the discount being applied to both it and my tablet at the same time.  If you look closely there is some very light grey text that says for primary line only but the value shows the discounted rate on both lines.  I would have expected that the system would take care of it, giving the discount to the primary line and NOT showing it on the secondary (Tablet) line.  Apparently that is expecting to much. 

Message 10 of 11 (4,516 Views)
Highlighted
Tutor

AT&T offers FAN discounts to employees of businesses as a bonus to the employee for their employer using AT&T for their service provider. The discount is not off the the entire plan, just the primary charge and qualifying data plans.

qualifying plans include "grandfathered $25 2GB and $30 unlimited plan" and the $50 5GB hotspot plan.

Unlimited talk plan does not receive discount on voice portion of plan, but all mobile share plans receive the discount off the primary charge of the plan.

hope this clears it up for you. Discount applies the same to all customers that receive the FAN discount.

Message 11 of 11 (4,122 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.