Wireless Forums

Posted Jul 21, 2013
12:25:48 PM
View profile
WEA broken since 14.2 update on my iPhone 4S
Edited by Morac on Jul 21, 2013 at 12:51:08 PM

AT&T pushed out a carrier update, 14.1, to enable WEA on iPhones (4S and 5).  My iPhone 4S got the update and the week following that I got a few alerts.   Then AT&T pushed out a 14.2 update.  That was about a month ago and I haven't gotten any updates since then, despite there being a week of very bad thunderstorms.  I have The Weather Channel app and that puts out alerts all the time, so I should be getting alerts.

I made sure the alerts are turned on in the Notification settings.

I tried calling AT&T tech support and was told this is an Apple issue and he said he'd connect me to Apple tech support, but then hung up on me.  I called Apple and Apple said that the alerts are sent by AT&T so I'd need to contact them.  The only thing she could suggest is reseting the network settings.

Has anyone received an alert after getting the 14.2 update.  Is there a way to fix it so I get alerts again?

AT&T pushed out a carrier update, 14.1, to enable WEA on iPhones (4S and 5).  My iPhone 4S got the update and the week following that I got a few alerts.   Then AT&T pushed out a 14.2 update.  That was about a month ago and I haven't gotten any updates since then, despite there being a week of very bad thunderstorms.  I have The Weather Channel app and that puts out alerts all the time, so I should be getting alerts.

I made sure the alerts are turned on in the Notification settings.

I tried calling AT&T tech support and was told this is an Apple issue and he said he'd connect me to Apple tech support, but then hung up on me.  I called Apple and Apple said that the alerts are sent by AT&T so I'd need to contact them.  The only thing she could suggest is reseting the network settings.

Has anyone received an alert after getting the 14.2 update.  Is there a way to fix it so I get alerts again?

WEA broken since 14.2 update on my iPhone 4S

[ Edited ]
7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 21, 2013 2:28:58 PM
(0)
Scholar
I have received alerts since getting the 14.2 update.

Just because you get alerts through your weather app doesn't necessarily mean you'll get an alert through the WEA. I'm not sure what the protocol is for weather alerts but I know for the Amber Alerts you have to meet very specific criteria before a WEA is sent out. I would presume its the same for weather WEA alerts.

I have received alerts since getting the 14.2 update.

Just because you get alerts through your weather app doesn't necessarily mean you'll get an alert through the WEA. I'm not sure what the protocol is for weather alerts but I know for the Amber Alerts you have to meet very specific criteria before a WEA is sent out. I would presume its the same for weather WEA alerts.

Re: WEA broken since 14.2 update on my iPhone 4S

2 of 8 (495 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 21, 2013 2:40:06 PM
(0)
Mentor

I don't know if any alerts have been sent out and AT&T has no way of knowing what alerts were sent.  All I know is that during the week I had 14.1, I had several flash flood alerts while driving near my home. Since I received 14.2, I haven't received any alerts, despite receiving flood, severe thunderstorm and even a tornado watch in my weather apps and on TV. 

i suppose alerts might be sent only for warnings, but I've gotten severe thunderstorm warnings as well, including one i got just a few minutes ago, with no WEA alerts.

Unfortunately neither Apple or AT&T has any way of testing this.  I've seen one other report of WEA being broken on an iPhone  4S as of the 14.2 update.  https://discussions.apple.com/message/22380927#22380927

From talking to AT&T, I was told the 14.2 update disabled WEA on iPhones that weren't supposed to get it (iPhone 4 and earlier).

I don't know if any alerts have been sent out and AT&T has no way of knowing what alerts were sent.  All I know is that during the week I had 14.1, I had several flash flood alerts while driving near my home. Since I received 14.2, I haven't received any alerts, despite receiving flood, severe thunderstorm and even a tornado watch in my weather apps and on TV. 

i suppose alerts might be sent only for warnings, but I've gotten severe thunderstorm warnings as well, including one i got just a few minutes ago, with no WEA alerts.

Unfortunately neither Apple or AT&T has any way of testing this.  I've seen one other report of WEA being broken on an iPhone  4S as of the 14.2 update.  https://discussions.apple.com/message/22380927#22380927

From talking to AT&T, I was told the 14.2 update disabled WEA on iPhones that weren't supposed to get it (iPhone 4 and earlier).

3 of 8 (493 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 21, 2013 7:54:26 PM
(0)
Guru

I have a 4s too and just got my first WEA alert 3 days ago. I received the flash flood warning but not the severe thunderstorm warning which was actually issued first. I'm curious to see if it will alert for tornado warnings. Maybe it was just a network glitch as my weather alert app didn't go off either as usual. 

Morac wrote:

I have a 4s too and just got my first WEA alert 3 days ago. I received the flash flood warning but not the severe thunderstorm warning which was actually issued first. I'm curious to see if it will alert for tornado warnings. Maybe it was just a network glitch as my weather alert app didn't go off either as usual. 

Morac wrote:

4 of 8 (439 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2013 11:21:58 PM
(0)
Mentor

Well I decided reset the network settings on my iPhone 4S and I just got an alert (flood), so that seems to have fixed it.

Unfortunately the alerts ignore the ringer/vibrate switch as well as the Do not disturb setting so the alert went off at 2:15 AM.

Well I decided reset the network settings on my iPhone 4S and I just got an alert (flood), so that seems to have fixed it.

Unfortunately the alerts ignore the ringer/vibrate switch as well as the Do not disturb setting so the alert went off at 2:15 AM.

5 of 8 (376 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2013 4:43:40 AM
(0)
Expert

Morac wrote:

that is why they are a completely seperate form of text, being able to ignore them would be fault. Prefer it that way, if I am asleep and there is a tornado warning warning in the middle of the night I would rather be woke up then visit the land of OZ:smileyhappy:

Morac wrote:

that is why they are a completely seperate form of text, being able to ignore them would be fault. Prefer it that way, if I am asleep and there is a tornado warning warning in the middle of the night I would rather be woke up then visit the land of OZ:smileyhappy:

6 of 8 (365 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2013 6:28:40 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by Morac on Jul 23, 2013 at 6:30:54 AM

For a tornado I'd agree. For a flood warning, when I live on a hill which never floods, not so much.

Also apparently it does the same for Amber alerts.  I turned those off.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/18/nyregion/early-morning-alert-issued-after-7-month-old-boy-is-abduc...

For a tornado I'd agree. For a flood warning, when I live on a hill which never floods, not so much.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/18/nyregion/early-morning-alert-issued-after-7-month-old-boy-is-abducted.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

[ Edited ]
7 of 8 (345 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2013 7:07:10 AM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Jul 23, 2013 at 7:08:22 AM

Morac wrote:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/18/nyregion/early-morning-alert-issued-after-7-month-old-boy-is-abduc...

different strokes for different folks, prefer to be notified immediately with inclimate weather including the possiblity of flash flooding. Especialy with amber alerts for missing persons, who knows the person that recieves the alert over the phone might be the one to see the person in question and be instrumental in their recovery.

That is the exact reason why they gave the option to turn both off it the person does not feel it is benificial to recieve the notifcations

By the way even if you have them both turned off you will recieve any presidential alerts, those cannot be turned off.

Morac wrote:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/18/nyregion/early-morning-alert-issued-after-7-month-old-boy-is-abducted.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

different strokes for different folks, prefer to be notified immediately with inclimate weather including the possiblity of flash flooding. Especialy with amber alerts for missing persons, who knows the person that recieves the alert over the phone might be the one to see the person in question and be instrumental in their recovery.

That is the exact reason why they gave the option to turn both off it the person does not feel it is benificial to recieve the notifcations

By the way even if you have them both turned off you will recieve any presidential alerts, those cannot be turned off.

[ Edited ]
8 of 8 (333 Views)