Very confused on how my data has been used up 5 days!?

Contributor

Very confused on how my data has been used up 5 days!?

Okay, here is the thing our bill starts over on the 10th or 11th of every month i get 200 mb in a months time. Here is the thing my phone 90 - 99% of the time in our wifi service at home. I received a message from ATT saying literally that in 5 days time my phone has used 100% of my monthly data!

So if I can get any ideas on what to do or what steps i need to take I would greatly appreciate it!

Sincerely,
Valarie
Message 1 of 4 (766 Views)
Expert

Re: Very confused on how my data has been used up 5 days!?

[ Edited ]

Not sure if your problem is your phone or not but I see that you've posted from an iPhone. FYI, a friend of mine was also eating thru her data and couldn't figure out why...she went to at ATT store and when the rep was looking at her phone, without doing a thing, it kept using data for no reason. She has since got a replacement. You may want to have it looked at. 

Have you turned off apps that may be running in the background??

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

Message 2 of 4 (762 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well in december my contract goes out and im on my mothers contract at the momment im gonna get on me and my fiances own soon

Valarie

[edited for privacy]

Message 3 of 4 (756 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Master

Valarierose2009 wrote:
Okay, here is the thing our bill starts over on the 10th or 11th of every month i get 200 mb in a months time. Here is the thing my phone 90 - 99% of the time in our wifi service at home. I received a message from ATT saying literally that in 5 days time my phone has used 100% of my monthly data!

So if I can get any ideas on what to do or what steps i need to take I would greatly appreciate it!

Sincerely,
Valarie

Unfortunately, you may not always be on wifi when you think you are. When the iphone is in hibernate mode, it will turn wifi off to save battery, meaning that any apps still running that use data will use part of that 200mb. Also, 200 mb really isn't very much data, watching one video when not on wifi could easily use up 200mb.

To avoid using cellular data, double check all your app settings to make sure push notifications are off, automatic downloads are off, etc. Also make sure no apps are running in the background.

It is possible to control data usage by taking these measures. My wife has the 200mb plan and has never gone over, though she has come close a few times (each time it was because of watching a video). However, the only way to guarantee your phone doesn't use cellular data is to turn cellular data off and only turn it on when you need it.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 4 (715 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.