Verizon iPad 3 on AT&T

Verizon iPad 3 on AT&T

I have an iPad 3 for Verizon which I used on their network before I moved up to my college campus. At first, it was the logical choice because AT&T didn't work too well at home and Verizon did. I did my research and with that came results that I could put it on any network that supported GSM since the iPad's sim slot is factory unlocked for global usage, however, I would have to change the APN's and LTE will not work because the MHz bands are different. I would only be able to use EDGE, 3G and HSPA+. Would I be able to go to a store and have them enroll me in an data or broadband plan and have it working when I walked out the door? Also, are there any activation fees and whatnot?

I know AT&T has a 250MB plan for $14.99 and 3per month which would be fine since I am not a heavy data user. I would rather have AT&T because Verizon does not work well up here at all, and the smooth data experience I get on my Lumia 900 is a huge contributing factor to this. My other option is T-Mobile with their plan of 1.5 GB for $25 because their coverage works well here too, but I would be restricted to EDGE.

Here is the demo of it working: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKRPkeH0-Ic

Message 1 of 6
Master

Re: Verizon iPad 3 on AT&T

The radios should be different CDMA for Verizon and Sprint and GSM for AT&T and T Mobile so they should not be interchangeable.

Message 2 of 6
Master

oz_1 wrote:

The radios should be different CDMA for Verizon and Sprint and GSM for AT&T and T Mobile so they should not be interchangeable.

This is my understanding that the two models are not interchangeable.  

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 3 of 6
Master

oz_1 wrote:

The verizon iPad also has a GSM SIM slot and it will work with an ATT sim card if you update the iPads APN settings.

Message 4 of 6

In the video it shows a demonstation of it. I would rather change APN setting after every update and stuff than spend another $700 for an AT&T specific one when I can use my current iPad with a small change to the software.

Message 5 of 6
Contributor

I went to the ATT store and bought a SIM chip, they stuck it into my Verizon IPad 3, it said "searching" for a bit, then presto whammo, it was now showing ATT 4G instead of Verizon's constant "3G" notifier. I didn't have to change APN's or anything. It just worked. I am in Seattle. Amazing.

Message 6 of 6
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.

Additional Support