Using an unlocked iPhone in uk

Contributor

Using an unlocked iPhone in uk

Hi. I live in the uk but travel to the US a lot. If I buy an unlocked iPhone in the US can I use it with a UK SIM card when at home? (It's a lot less expensive to buy in in US) thx
Message 1 of 6
ACE - Expert

Re: Using an unlocked iPhone in uk

Yes, you can, as long as it's unlocked. I only have experience using unlocked iPhone that was activated first with an AT&T SIM card, but I don't think that'll be a problem -- you should be able to activate with a UK SIM as well. In fact, I heard that buying a full-price iPhone at an Apple store will automatically make it unlocked if you activate with a SIM other than AT&T one even if it's not advertised as such.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 6
Expert

Pennyqss wrote:
Hi. I live in the uk but travel to the US a lot. If I buy an unlocked iPhone in the US can I use it with a UK SIM card when at home? (It's a lot less expensive to buy in in US) thx

as mentioed it works, be aware that you will not get LTE speeds in the UK, the US phone utilizes different LTE bands then the UK

Message 3 of 6
Highlighted
Contributor

What are LTE speeds?

Penny
Sent from my iPad
Message 4 of 6
Expert

Pennyqss wrote:
What are LTE speeds?

Penny
Sent from my iPad

non-technical comparision

http://www.gci.com/wireless/4g-lte/speed-comparison

Message 5 of 6
Scholar

You may want to check the warranty on it to if u buy in USA don't think your
Covered away from America I'm afraid Smiley Happy
Message 6 of 6
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.

Additional Support