Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Highlighted
Posted Oct 22, 2013
7:42:00 AM
View profile
Using an unlocked iPhone in uk
Hi. I live in the uk but travel to the US a lot. If I buy an unlocked iPhone in the US can I use it with a UK SIM card when at home? (It's a lot less expensive to buy in in US) thx
Hi. I live in the uk but travel to the US a lot. If I buy an unlocked iPhone in the US can I use it with a UK SIM card when at home? (It's a lot less expensive to buy in in US) thx

Using an unlocked iPhone in uk

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 22, 2013 8:50:37 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by dmapr on Oct 22, 2013 at 8:52:35 AM

Yes, you can, as long as it's unlocked. I only have experience using unlocked iPhone that was activated first with an AT&T SIM card, but I don't think that'll be a problem -- you should be able to activate with a UK SIM as well. In fact, I heard that buying a full-price iPhone at an Apple store will automatically make it unlocked if you activate with a SIM other than AT&T one even if it's not advertised as such.

Yes, you can, as long as it's unlocked. I only have experience using unlocked iPhone that was activated first with an AT&T SIM card, but I don't think that'll be a problem -- you should be able to activate with a UK SIM as well. In fact, I heard that buying a full-price iPhone at an Apple store will automatically make it unlocked if you activate with a SIM other than AT&T one even if it's not advertised as such.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Using an unlocked iPhone in uk

[ Edited ]
2 of 6 (623 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 22, 2013 9:09:13 AM
(0)
Expert

Pennyqss wrote:

as mentioed it works, be aware that you will not get LTE speeds in the UK, the US phone utilizes different LTE bands then the UK

Pennyqss wrote:

as mentioed it works, be aware that you will not get LTE speeds in the UK, the US phone utilizes different LTE bands then the UK

Re: Using an unlocked iPhone in uk

3 of 6 (613 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 22, 2013 10:18:12 AM
(0)
Contributor
What are LTE speeds?

Penny
Sent from my iPad
What are LTE speeds?