Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jul 23, 2013
5:53:30 PM
Using Lumia 900 MicroSIM in Lumia 520
Like most Lumia 900 launch day buyers my upgrade was pushed from November 2013 to April 2014. Because of this I am looking for a "bridge" to my next upgrade Flagship device.

Question: When the Lumia 520 launches on Friday the 26th on the GoPhone plans... Will I be able to pop my Lumia 900's MicroSIM into the Lumia 520 and use it on my existing Post Paid (mobile share) plan?

Also, will I be able to swap the SIM back and forth from the 900 to 520 to 900 etc...?

Any feedback would be great.
Like most Lumia 900 launch day buyers my upgrade was pushed from November 2013 to April 2014. Because of this I am looking for a "bridge" to my next upgrade Flagship device.

Question: When the Lumia 520 launches on Friday the 26th on the GoPhone plans... Will I be able to pop my Lumia 900's MicroSIM into the Lumia 520 and use it on my existing Post Paid (mobile share) plan?

Also, will I be able to swap the SIM back and forth from the 900 to 520 to 900 etc...?

Any feedback would be great.

Using Lumia 900 MicroSIM in Lumia 520

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 24, 2013 5:48:17 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

You should, if the sims are the same size, and the two devices are both LTE.

You should, if the sims are the same size, and the two devices are both LTE.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Using Lumia 900 MicroSIM in Lumia 520

2 of 5 (10,862 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 24, 2013 7:02:19 AM
(0)
Tutor
They are both MicroSIM devices, but the 520 is HSPA+ only while the 900 is LTE and HSPA+.

My assumption was that LTE availability was determined by the device hardware and AT&T server side settings.

I've seen other discussions with people using SIMs from "3G' devices in "4G" devices with the downside being only 3G service was available on the 4G device.

Hopefully it works the other way around and in this case the new device just wouldnt be able to access LTE due to hardware design of the device.

I'll keep my fingers crossed and look into the return policy before buying on Friday.
They are both MicroSIM devices, but the 520 is HSPA+ only while the 900 is LTE and HSPA+.

My assumption was that LTE availability was determined by the device hardware and AT&T server side settings.

I've seen other discussions with people using SIMs from "3G' devices in "4G" devices with the downside being only 3G service was available on the 4G device.

Hopefully it works the other way around and in this case the new device just wouldnt be able to access LTE due to hardware design of the device.

I'll keep my fingers crossed and look into the return policy before buying on Friday.

3 of 5 (10,854 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 24, 2013 6:00:40 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

dirtbound wrote:

When I used my 3G sim in my 920 (with LTE) AT&T called up within days wanting me to move to the (same price) LTE plan. That may be the only hiccup. - flipflopping between LTE and non-LTE should be fine with an LTE-enabled sim. Going the other way may not work as well.

dirtbound wrote:

When I used my 3G sim in my 920 (with LTE) AT&T called up within days wanting me to move to the (same price) LTE plan. That may be the only hiccup. - flipflopping between LTE and non-LTE should be fine with an LTE-enabled sim. Going the other way may not work as well.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 5 (10,832 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 24, 2013 8:03:25 PM
(0)
Tutor
@johninsj Thanks for the information. I've called a couple of local AT&T stores and so far it sounds like I should be in good shape. I think what you're saying makes perfect sense... Hopefully AT&Ts network feels the same way. :-)

Thanks again.
@johninsj Thanks for the information. I've called a couple of local AT&T stores and so far it sounds like I should be in good shape. I think what you're saying makes perfect sense... Hopefully AT&Ts network feels the same way. :-)

Thanks again.

5 of 5 (10,825 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments