Use of Sim Card in Canada

Contributor

Use of Sim Card in Canada

I'm in Canada with a Sim card I bought in the States. Using it on m Iphone. But I can't get any connection. Any ideas?

Tags (2)
Message 1 of 6
Community Manager

Re: Use of Sim Card in Canada

Hello, JoshKulp!

Welcome to the forums, and thank you for your post.

If you are using a pre-paid AT&T SIM card, that card is designed for use on AT&T's network only. As AT&T doesn't have network coverage in Canada, you'll find that your SIM card doesn't work. I would consider purchasing a pre-paid SIM card from a Canadian wireless provider for the duration of your stay.

If you have any other questions, let me know!

-Mariana

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 6
Scholar

Is this a GoPhone SIM card?

If so it will roam in Canada for 0.39/minute deducted from your prepaid account. See details here:

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/roaming/gophone-international-roaming.jsp

Did you activate the GoPhone SIM in the USA? It must be ACTIVATED and USED in the USA first I believe.

Message 3 of 6
Master

I was just in Canada this past weekend and I was roaming on Rogers's network. I got slammed with $1.99 worth of roaming charges, so I put my phone in airplane mode for 95% of my stay!

It must be the Canadian carrier's coverage that is not enabling you to receive a good connection.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 4 of 6
ACE - Guru

Hi Wild Banchi,
 It works the same. AT&T will slam me Can $2.50 +tax /min if I take my Rogers pay as you go phone roaming in USA.

even you don't answer and leave it switch on.
 Best to do is switch the phone off.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 6
Highlighted
ACE - Guru

Yes  and correct !!
AT&T GoPhone SIM must be ACTIVATED and USED in the USA first !!

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 6
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support