Use of Sim Card in Canada

Contributor

Use of Sim Card in Canada

I'm in Canada with a Sim card I bought in the States. Using it on m Iphone. But I can't get any connection. Any ideas?

Message 1 of 6 (1,431 Views)
Community Manager

Re: Use of Sim Card in Canada

Hello, JoshKulp!

Welcome to the forums, and thank you for your post.

If you are using a pre-paid AT&T SIM card, that card is designed for use on AT&T's network only. As AT&T doesn't have network coverage in Canada, you'll find that your SIM card doesn't work. I would consider purchasing a pre-paid SIM card from a Canadian wireless provider for the duration of your stay.

If you have any other questions, let me know!

-Mariana

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 6 (1,373 Views)
Scholar

Is this a GoPhone SIM card?

If so it will roam in Canada for 0.39/minute deducted from your prepaid account. See details here:

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/roaming/gophone-international-roaming.jsp

Did you activate the GoPhone SIM in the USA? It must be ACTIVATED and USED in the USA first I believe.

Message 3 of 6 (1,347 Views)
Master

I was just in Canada this past weekend and I was roaming on Rogers's network. I got slammed with $1.99 worth of roaming charges, so I put my phone in airplane mode for 95% of my stay!

It must be the Canadian carrier's coverage that is not enabling you to receive a good connection.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 4 of 6 (1,301 Views)
ACE - Guru

Hi Wild Banchi,
 It works the same. AT&T will slam me Can $2.50 +tax /min if I take my Rogers pay as you go phone roaming in USA.

even you don't answer and leave it switch on.
 Best to do is switch the phone off.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 6 (1,202 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Guru

Yes  and correct !!
AT&T GoPhone SIM must be ACTIVATED and USED in the USA first !!

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 6 (1,201 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.