Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Highlighted
Posted Sep 2, 2013
6:04:26 PM
View profile
Use of Sim Card in Canada

I'm in Canada with a Sim card I bought in the States. Using it on m Iphone. But I can't get any connection. Any ideas?

I'm in Canada with a Sim card I bought in the States. Using it on m Iphone. But I can't get any connection. Any ideas?

Use of Sim Card in Canada

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 4, 2013 7:54:39 AM
(0)
Community Manager

Hello, JoshKulp!

Welcome to the forums, and thank you for your post.

If you are using a pre-paid AT&T SIM card, that card is designed for use on AT&T's network only. As AT&T doesn't have network coverage in Canada, you'll find that your SIM card doesn't work. I would consider purchasing a pre-paid SIM card from a Canadian wireless provider for the duration of your stay.

If you have any other questions, let me know!

-Mariana

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Hello, JoshKulp!

Welcome to the forums, and thank you for your post.

If you are using a pre-paid AT&T SIM card, that card is designed for use on AT&T's network only. As AT&T doesn't have network coverage in Canada, you'll find that your SIM card doesn't work. I would consider purchasing a pre-paid SIM card from a Canadian wireless provider for the duration of your stay.

If you have any other questions, let me know!

-Mariana

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Use of Sim Card in Canada

2 of 6 (1,312 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2013 7:41:12 PM
(0)
Scholar

Is this a GoPhone SIM card?

If so it will roam in Canada for 0.39/minute deducted from your prepaid account. See details here:

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/roaming/gophone-international-roaming.jsp

Did you activate the GoPhone SIM in the USA? It must be ACTIVATED and USED in the USA first I believe.

Is this a GoPhone SIM card?

If so it will roam in Canada for 0.39/minute deducted from your prepaid account. See details here:

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/roaming/gophone-international-roaming.jsp

Did you activate the GoPhone SIM in the USA? It must be ACTIVATED and USED in the USA first I believe.

3 of 6 (1,286 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2013 7:41:54 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
I was just in Canada this past weekend and I was roaming on Rogers's network. I got slammed with $1.99 worth of roaming charges, so I put my phone in airplane mode for 95% of my stay!

It must be the Canadian carrier's coverage that is not enabling you to receive a good connection.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

I was just in Canada this past weekend and I was roaming on Rogers's network. I got slammed with $1.99 worth of roaming charges, so I put my phone in airplane mode for 95% of my stay!

It must be the Canadian carrier's coverage that is not enabling you to receive a good connection.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 6 (1,240 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2013 5:19:52 AM
(0)
ACE - Guru

Hi Wild Banchi,
 It works the same. AT&T will slam me Can $2.50 +tax /min if I take my Rogers pay as you go phone roaming in USA.

even you don't answer and leave it switch on.
 Best to do is switch the phone off.

Hi Wild Banchi,
 It works the same. AT&T will slam me Can $2.50 +tax /min if I take my Rogers pay as you go phone roaming in USA.

even you don't answer and leave it switch on.
 Best to do is switch the phone off.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 6 (1,141 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2013 5:23:43 AM
(0)
ACE - Guru

Yes  and correct !!
AT&T GoPhone SIM must be ACTIVATED and USED in the USA first !!

Yes  and correct !!
AT&T GoPhone SIM must be ACTIVATED and USED in the USA first !!

6 of 6 (1,140 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments