Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 17, 2013
11:25:36 AM
View profile
Upgraded wrong line, can I switch?
I recently upgraded the wrong number on my account, thereby extending the contract on a line I was planning on canceling in a few weeks. I asked a service rep if they could just swap the upgrade/contract extension to the correct line. The girl said no, I'd need to return the phone to a store, pay a 35 dollar restocking fee, and then buy the phone for full price!!! Does this sound crazy to anyone else?
I recently upgraded the wrong number on my account, thereby extending the contract on a line I was planning on canceling in a few weeks. I asked a service rep if they could just swap the upgrade/contract extension to the correct line. The girl said no, I'd need to return the phone to a store, pay a 35 dollar restocking fee, and then buy the phone for full price!!! Does this sound crazy to anyone else?

Upgraded wrong line, can I switch?

2 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(2)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 17, 2013 5:38:10 PM
(0)
Expert

Tmac845 wrote:

If less then 14 days you can return the phone, wait for everything to reset then if the other line you wanted tio upgrade is eligible you can then upgrade that one, you have to pay the restocking fee if you opened the package.

Tmac845 wrote:

If less then 14 days you can return the phone, wait for everything to reset then if the other line you wanted tio upgrade is eligible you can then upgrade that one, you have to pay the restocking fee if you opened the package.

Re: Upgraded wrong line, can I switch?

2 of 3 (807 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2013 11:24:55 AM
(0)
Contributor
No, it doesn't sound crazy because in order to get the subsidized price on the phone, you have to be upgrade eligible and sign a new 2 year contract. Since you want to cancel the line that is out of contract, you cannot use the upgrade that is available on that line. Contracts can never be transferred from one line to another. Another option you would have is to keep the device that was purchased at the subsidized price and just pay the $325 Early termination fee for that line. Depending on the phone, that might be less costly than buying the phone at full retail. The 2 year contract renewal is your ticket to getting the subsidized price of a device, but you do not have access to that until you fulfill the previous contract that you signed to get the phone you have now at the lower price. Depending on how far along you are in your contract, you may have other options such as an early iPhone upgrade (2 year price +$250 upgrade fee).
No, it doesn't sound crazy because in order to get the subsidized price on the phone, you have to be upgrade eligible and sign a new 2 year contract. Since you want to cancel the line that is out of contract, you cannot use the upgrade that is available on that line. Contracts can never be transferred from one line to another. Another option you would have is to keep the device that was purchased at the subsidized price and just pay the $325 Early termination fee for that line. Depending on the phone, that might be less costly than buying the phone at full retail. The 2 year contract renewal is your ticket to getting the subsidized price of a device, but you do not have access to that until you fulfill the previous contract that you signed to get the phone you have now at the lower price. Depending on how far along you are in your contract, you may have other options such as an early iPhone upgrade (2 year price +$250 upgrade fee).

Re: Upgraded wrong line, can I switch?

3 of 3 (567 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments