Upgrade pricing for New versus loyal customer

Scholar

Upgrade pricing for New versus loyal customer

[ Edited ]

I have heard "taht is the way it is" way too many times. I have chatted with Sales, called customer support, called the store and now have left a message on a secret number I have and I consistenly get the same response "that is just the way it is"! I have been looking at the Galaxy S4 Active and my point doesn'r really matter what phone it is. You can go to Samsung.com and get routed to AT&T ot go directly to ATT.com and you get $199.99 for the phone. I have 3 cell phones, two IPads and have Uverse internet, TV and home phone. ATT.com keeps telling me I am eligible for an upgrade. I am also a Business Direct Premier member and guess what my price is correct $199.99.

This does not make ANY sense to me. Upgrade, loyal customer doesn't make any difference. You get the same price as anybody else walking off the street. I am getting a little tired of the attitude.

Message 1 of 28 (2,571 Views)
Expert

Re: Upograde pricing for New versus loyal customer

tthomaso wrote:

All I can say that even if I but the S4 it will not be from AT&T even if I have to pay more for it. I always have been happy with the way AT&T has treated my concerns but this time they have fallen way short.

Sounds like you are either going to purchase a unlocked version at full retail or go to a different carrier. In any respect, sprint and verizon do the same exact thing, as a loyal customer that fulfilled the two year contract comminment at the other two carriers, you get the same exact loyalty price - the same exact price a new cusotmer pays.

One other thing to keep in mind, just becasue you can upgrade does not mean your contract is complete, you still have about 4 months lefts so if you decide to move factor in the balance of the etf.

Message 16 of 28 (2,266 Views)
Scholar

I didn't say anything about leaving AT&T. Like I said I have no issues with the services I have including cell, Ipad and Uverse. I have 1 issue and I think I have stated it in the subject and through out this conversation. Bestbuy offers the same deal so I will buy it from them just as a protest. All vendors may do the same thing but that doesn't mean that they all aren't wrong for not honoring a better deal to keep a customer. AT&T makes everything sound good from a marketing position and advertising but I still think they need a better concentration on what they do for a customer that pays a sweet price every month.

Message 17 of 28 (2,199 Views)

Re: Upgrade pricing for New versus loyal customer

Bestbuy is still a retail partner with AT&T, in fact AT&T loses less money when you buy from stores like Bestbuy, as they have a better bargaining position with the OEM dealing with every single other major carrier. The discount for the contact remains the same from AT&T's standpoint. So your protest only serves to allow AT&T to spend less money to keep you under contract.
Message 18 of 28 (2,184 Views)
Expert

TitaniumMettle wrote:
Bestbuy is still a retail partner with AT&T, in fact AT&T loses less money when you buy from stores like Bestbuy, as they have a better bargaining position with the OEM dealing with every single other major carrier. The discount for the contact remains the same from AT&T's standpoint. So your protest only serves to allow AT&T to spend less money to keep you under contract.

would be interesting to see your backup documentation on the commecnt that "ATT loses less money", can you supply it?

Message 19 of 28 (2,173 Views)
ACE - Master

tthomaso wrote:

I didn't say anything about leaving AT&T. Like I said I have no issues with the services I have including cell, Ipad and Uverse. I have 1 issue and I think I have stated it in the subject and through out this conversation. Bestbuy offers the same deal so I will buy it from them just as a protest. All vendors may do the same thing but that doesn't mean that they all aren't wrong for not honoring a better deal to keep a customer. AT&T makes everything sound good from a marketing position and advertising but I still think they need a better concentration on what they do for a customer that pays a sweet price every month.

Just curious, can you name any service provider (cellular, satellite, cable, isp or anyone) that gives a better deal to existing customers than they offer new customers? I sure don't know of any.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 20 of 28 (2,152 Views)
Highlighted
Professor

Sandblaster, you're hitting on the concept that I would like to see become a reality.  The cellular service providers should be service providers only and stop selling devices, period.  That would also eliminate the arguments based on "upgrade pricing".

Message 21 of 28 (2,137 Views)
Scholar

Well Sprint just blew the "everyone is offering the same price" out of the water! They are advertising $199.99 buy 1 get 1 free! I hate Sprint but maybe they have done us a favor?

Message 22 of 28 (2,065 Views)
Expert

tthomaso wrote:

Well Sprint just blew the "everyone is offering the same price" out of the water! They are advertising $199.99 buy 1 get 1 free! I hate Sprint but maybe they have done us a favor?

Sprint is foundering badly financially to the tune of 6.67 a share at market close today. They have to do something to get people to want to be on their service. It is all marketing. They rank third on 3G network speeds and dead last on LTE

Add to teh fact the Japanese carrier softbank is in final negotiations to buy sprint. Both ATT and verizon has made the same type of offer in the past.

Now for the kicker - New verses loyal customerSmiley Happy

http://www.itechpost.com/articles/11080/20130729/sprint-samsung-galaxy-s4-buy-one-free.htm

Sprint is running a Back to School promotion for the Samsung Galaxy S4.  If you buy one Galaxy S4 for $199.99 when signing a new 2-year contract, you'll receive another S4 for free, after a $50 mail-in rebate. The promotion runs now through August 15th. If you've been thinking about getting a Galaxy S4, this might be the best time to take the plunge. So loyal customers do not get that deal, just new service customers

Message 23 of 28 (2,055 Views)
Professor

The Sprint offer is for existing Sprint customers that are upgrade eligible, as well.

Message 24 of 28 (2,035 Views)
Expert

21stNow wrote:

The Sprint offer is for existing Sprint customers that are upgrade eligible, as well.

interesting not what the article states

Message 25 of 28 (2,024 Views)
Professor

Sprint's website shows the offer for existing customers.  You know what you always say about information from outside sources. Smiley Happy

Message 26 of 28 (2,000 Views)
Expert

[ Edited ]

21stNow wrote:

Sprint's website shows the offer for existing customers.  You know what you always say about information from outside sources. Smiley Happy

Shot a email off to our sales weasel at sprint that handles the business account, will see what she says getting that pricing. If this is true I have 7 developers that are in need of upgrades for their phones, will save a ton of money and have a the new hire's phone handled at the same time.

Besides the only sites that I rail primarily on are those that publish unvalidated, uncontrolled and "impartial" surveys for customer support  that people take as 100 percent accurate - *cough* *cough* the initials CR come to the forfrontSmiley Happy

Message 27 of 28 (1,993 Views)
Professor

OK, I can see your point. However, things are not like they used to be.

Also, $400.00 discount on a phone is a pretty darn good deal if you ask me.

Nextel always offers that buy one get one free with devices that are nearing the end of their life cycle with the manufacturer. But, it is a good deal if you can take the lack of speed and signal strength that Sprint gives their users.

Good luck to you with your decision.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Zombie Hunter Mission Statement

Exterminate the living dead and keep our fellow citizens alive and safe. We will be connecting with our fellow businesses, the police department, funeral home, and weapon manufacturers to help map out, and exterminate the pesky living dead from our community.

~~~Seth Mendenhall
Message 28 of 28 (1,908 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.